Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellow - Noobie here, but glad to have found this forum.

I went to look at a '97 Pathfinder that is for sale last night. This truck was purchased new by my sister-in-law in '97. It has been sitting since Jan '03, and she has finally agreed to sell it.

When it was parked in '03, there was a problem with the driver's side door. She could not get it to open under any circumstances.

I went over last night to look at it with the intent of buying it. I opened the passenger's side door, crawled across, and tried to open the driver's door to no avail. Then I popped the hood open with the intent of jump starting it. Immediately upon hooking up the jumper cables, the lights start flashing and the horn starts honking. (the factory security system was going off). The key fob wouldn't turn off the alarm, nor would putting the key in the ignition and trying to start the truck.

It refused to crank (presumably a feature of the security system). Eventually, when I put the key in the driver's door lock and messed with it a bit, the alarm turned off, and the door opened for the first time in over 5 years. Then I hopped in, and noticed that the dome lights wouldn't come on, but the dash lights worked. (the dome lights may be a completely separate issue) I put the key in the ignition and she started up pretty well for something that had been sitting for 5 years).

I made the mistake of closing the driver's door, and then was unable to open it again, even after many many tries (perhaps 50 tries). The power locks seem to actuate properly with the switches, and the handle linkages feel like they are not broken. I suspect that there is some kind of interlock between the security system and the driver's door lock that is preventing the door from opening. If anyone could confirm whether there is some kind of alarm/door interlock, that would be great.

I was also unable to "trip" the security system into the alarm mode again. No combination of locking/unlocking the doors, opening the passenger's door, or anything else I could think of would cause the lights to flash and the horns to sound again.

I'm a pretty mechanically and electrically inclined guy (an engineer by education). I guess I need to understand how the Nissan systems work - are there any recommended service manuals?

Any help or advice related to the security system and/or driver's door being unable to open would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance,

SteveM.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
download the factory service manual (FSM) from phatg20.net for free.
Good luck....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the "hookup" on the FSM. However, it looks like phatg20.net is DOWN. I can't get the site to open. Is anyone else having problems?

Steve

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yes down for me too !
Try again later tonight....

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
its still down... if i have a pathy FSM thats close in yr, dont know will have to look, might have a 97, i can post it somewhere so you can download....

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
ok found a 97 FSM if you still want it...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the offer. I just bought a hard-copy of the FSM off ebay, so hopefully it will give me some much needed insight with respect to the operation of the factory alarm/security system and the power locks.

SteveM.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts