Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some assistance here with my 97 pathfinder. Basically when going over rough roads or turning in driveways or parking lots I would get a clunking noise.

Now this doesn’t always happen. I can fall in the biggest hole (not that I do this, I try to avoid damaging suspension at all times) and it would make the noise. Or go over continuous rough bumpy noise and wouldn’t make it. Then sometimes it would, especially when going around turns with bumps or going in driveways not so slow.

I have put new suspension components both front and back. But focusing on the front I have done the control arms, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, struts, sway bar bushing, sway bar links. This was all replaced a year ago as it was time for replacement and I did have a clunking similar that went away after new suspension.

I am having trouble locating the noise that occurs only on this side. And knowing the suspension is new makes it even harder.

Any help appreciated.

thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention the side making noise is driver side.

And when replacing suspension components the only things not changed were strut mounts, the bearing, and spring. They were perfectly fine with no issues or damages.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,917 Posts
If it does it only when making turns, I would suggest greasing the steering stops (see pics). If it does it when driving in a straight line, as well, I would ask if you replaced the strut mounts or not?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it does it only when making turns, I would suggest greasing the steering stops (see pics). If it does it when driving in a straight line, as well, I would ask if you replaced the strut mounts or not?
I’ll check that out. And no didn’t replace the mounts as everything was fine with the originals.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you be able to direct me on locating the steering stops? I am not familiar with greasing this part.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So one thing I forgot to check which I went back to today was the front differential mount bushing. They were shot.

I took a screwdriver to the busing, prying against the frame and I was easily able to move it back and forth.

Had my dad check back the suspension and cv and he doesn’t think the noise is coming from any of those items. Everything is rock solid. Maybe a little play from the bearing that I’ll have to take care of but I don’t think that would cause a clunk.

Thinking it’s the diff bushings.

Now would this be able to clunk?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, need some assistance here with my 97 pathfinder. Basically when going over rough roads or turning in driveways or parking lots I would get a clunking noise.

Now this doesn’t always happen. I can fall in the biggest hole (not that I do this, I try to avoid damaging suspension at all times) and it would make the noise. Or go over continuous rough bumpy noise and wouldn’t make it. Then sometimes it would, especially when going around turns with bumps or going in driveways not so slow.

I have put new suspension components both front and back. But focusing on the front I have done the control arms, ball joints, tie rods, tie rod ends, struts, sway bar bushing, sway bar links. This was all replaced a year ago as it was time for replacement and I did have a clunking similar that went away after new suspension.

I am having trouble locating the noise that occurs only on this side. And knowing the suspension is new makes it even harder.

Any help appreciated.

thanks!
CV joints are bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts