Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving back up to school and it is a long boring haul so I decided to have some fun. A Dodge Spirit passed me at 80 so I downshifted to 3rd (I was doing 70 at the time) and my car caught up. I shifted to fourth and my car took a sh*t on me. It started making high pitched noises that sounded like water when it hits something hot. Well when I got to school I checked it out and it turns out to be a hole in my exhaust. How much does that suck. Anyway my question is what would do this during a shift and how easy of a self fix is it? Thanks -James

·
Registered
171 Posts
You can do a quick temp fix with some duct tape until you can get some money to have the piping replaced. And it might do it during the shift because the engine might have lost some back pressure causing you to lose some hp.

·
Banned
395 Posts
JZK316 said:
You can do a quick temp fix with some duct tape until you can get some money to have the piping replaced. And it might do it during the shift because the engine might have lost some back pressure causing you to lose some hp.

u cant fix this temporarily with duct tape, do u know how hot the exhaust pipe gets? it'll melt that freakin' tape off like nothing......i know because i've tried it........LOL....and unless youre mcgeiver..just take it to a muffler shop

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not to be a dick but I am McGeiver. And I have a camcorder battery, chewing gum and a match stick to fix the problem. But seriously I can get a full exhaust replacement for my car becuase my buddy has a wrecked 94 in his junkyard. I just dont know if the exhaust from a 94 GA will fit on the 95 GA. I assume it would. I won't be able to do anyhting until after finals now that I'm at school so I just wont drive it until I go home in 2 weeks. Should be a hell of a trip with everybody looking at my car that sounds like a lawn mower. With less power of course.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Just unwrap a condom and put some baking powder in it and then tie it off like a baloon and hang it below the hole. The latex + lubrication and heat under the car will cause the powder to vaporize and lift up and seal the hole.
I saw Steven Segal do that in Under Siege.

Seth

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant tell if that is a joke or not but hell I'll try it out before I do anything and tell you how it works. It cant do any harm besides a terrible odor. What kind of condom do I need tho? I was thinking ultra ribbed or extended pleasure. ALL feedback is welcome!

·
Banned
492 Posts
just tack weld a piece of steel or aluminum over the hole, if its a small enough hole you could probably just use the welding solder itself.

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for finally a serious response. I will weld it when I get home. That is if the condom doesnt work. -James

·
0 Posts
DryBoy said:
I just dont know if the exhaust from a 94 GA will fit on the 95 GA. I assume it would.
I don't think it'll work. A 94 would be a B13 and a 95 would be a B14. The exhausts are different for the different body styles. Let us know if it does work though!

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the body may be different but I think the engine and all its components are the same between 94 and 95. I'm not 100 percent sure tho.

·
Banned
395 Posts
James said:
Anyone ever try using that aluminum tape? It's like aluminum foil but has a sticky side... Maybe you can get that at the local home depot and try it... only 5 bucks...
never heard of it or seen it, but i guess/think that might be a good temporary solution since its aluminum(wont melt) with a sticky side, but you'd have to wrap it around the pipe a lot of times and make it pretty thick for it to stay in place and have no leaks so u dont loose backpressure/HP/Torque

·
Banned
809 Posts
They have something at K-mart.. Autozone.. called Muffler bandage.. you wrap it around the pipe, andthen like put on some liquid shit.. it seals it good.. but. only for about a month

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
James said:
Anyone ever try using that aluminum tape? It's like aluminum foil but has a sticky side... Maybe you can get that at the local home depot and try it... only 5 bucks...
used it. lasted like two hours.

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard about the exhaust cast thing but my friend said it only lasted him a day and a half

·
Registered
205 Posts
Going through all that trouble just makes it clearer that it's more worth it to go out and spend a few hundred to buy a cat back and just flat out replace the entire system, lol.

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cat back wouldnt be a bad idea if the hole was after the cat. But I dont have all that money to spend anyway with XMas coming and 2 speeding tickets coming too :mad:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I dont think the b13 exhaust will fit the b14 Greddy made an exhaust that fits the 1.6 b13 not the b14 I think its a different diameter is why

1 - 20 of 21 Posts