Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in greater vancouver Canada and own/ed 3 nissan vehicles (pathfinder, altima & rogue) and very interested in the new 2022 frontier. I ask the nissan dealer where I got all 3 nissans I owned and they were asking $2K downpayment and when I complained, they dropped it to $1K. Is this normal for dealer to ask money upfront? BTW, I was told it is fully refundable.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,210 Posts
I would hold off on putting down a down-payment, which is really a "holder's fee" at this point. They can ask for anything they want in these situations, but it's really not required under normal circumstances unless you are trying to get one of the first off the line. The next gen Frontier production is on hold, like many other vehicles, due to a fire at a large semi-conductor factory in Japan. There's no telling as to when production will go back to normal, so your 2022 Frontier could end up being released as a 2023 model. Personally, I wouldn't want one of the first of the next gen Frontiers until at least its second (and preferably third) year of production so that most of the "new model bugs" can be worked out. It took Nissan 5-years to get the major bugs fixed on the 2nd Gen Frontier; "bugs" like upper timing chain issues, faulty radiators and fuel sending unit issues.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I live in greater vancouver Canada and own/ed 3 nissan vehicles (pathfinder, altima & rogue) and very interested in the new 2022 frontier. I ask the nissan dealer where I got all 3 nissans I owned and they were asking $2K downpayment and when I complained, they dropped it to $1K. Is this normal for dealer to ask money upfront? BTW, I was told it is fully refundable.
Jack,

Like SMJ said, "WAIT" for at least 3 year's if you can hold off buying the 2022 Frontier, so Nissan can work any potential BUG's out.

Also if you still own any Nissan Vehicle, then Call Nissan Consumer Affair's and ASK for a Nissan Loyalty Discount on a New Nissan Frontier or Titan. I didn't know that Nissan gave those out, but I was talking with Nissan Consumer Affair's about something and after I told them I wanted a New Frontier,, they told me to hold on and came back with a Really Good Owner Loyalty Discount that made all the difference for me, being able to afford a Brand New 2013 SVV6.

Waiting will give you plenty of time to Scout out all the other Alternative's includeing a Brand New Titan V8

Good Luck and Enjoy Checking out all the New Truck's, but don't be Too Quick to jump in a Brand New Model, Engine, or Transmission Change. Gotta give'm time to work out the Bug's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would hold off on putting down a down-payment, which is really a "holder's fee" at this point. They can ask for anything they want in these situations, but it's really not required under normal circumstances unless you are trying to get one of the first off the line. The next gen Frontier production is on hold, like many other vehicles, due to a fire at a large semi-conductor factory in Japan. There's no telling as to when production will go back to normal, so your 2022 Frontier could end up being released as a 2023 model. Personally, I wouldn't want one of the first of the next gen Frontiers until at least its second (and preferably third) year of production so that most of the "new model bugs" can be worked out. It took Nissan 5-years to get the major bugs fixed on the 2nd Gen Frontier; "bugs" like upper timing chain issues, faulty radiators and fuel sending unit issues.

Thanks smj999smj
agree with you but my 2010 altima is dying and not sure if it can survive 3 more years without repair spending over $1K. got 6 lights on my dashboard...LOL Nissan quality at its best [sarcasm]
hope the supply disruption will get fixed quickly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack,

Like SMJ said, "WAIT" for at least 3 year's if you can hold off buying the 2022 Frontier, so Nissan can work any potential BUG's out.

Also if you still own any Nissan Vehicle, then Call Nissan Consumer Affair's and ASK for a Nissan Loyalty Discount on a New Nissan Frontier or Titan. I didn't know that Nissan gave those out, but I was talking with Nissan Consumer Affair's about something and after I told them I wanted a New Frontier,, they told me to hold on and came back with a Really Good Owner Loyalty Discount that made all the difference for me, being able to afford a Brand New 2013 SVV6.

Waiting will give you plenty of time to Scout out all the other Alternative's includeing a Brand New Titan V8

Good Luck and Enjoy Checking out all the New Truck's, but don't be Too Quick to jump in a Brand New Model, Engine, or Transmission Change. Gotta give'm time to work out the Bug's.
BRubble: ...ASK for a Nissan Loyalty Discount on a New Nissan Frontier...
love that idea. thanks a bunch!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,210 Posts
Thanks smj999smj
agree with you but my 2010 altima is dying and not sure if it can survive 3 more years without repair spending over $1K. got 6 lights on my dashboard...LOL Nissan quality at its best [sarcasm]
hope the supply disruption will get fixed quickly
In that case, it may make sense to look into a 2019 or 2020 Frontier. I don't think the semi-conductor shortage is going to work itself out anytime soon, as multiple manufacturers are scaling down or shutting down production because of it. One thing about a 2019 (or even a couple of years older than that) is that you know what you are getting! The bugs have pretty much been worked out since 2011 and the chassis is practically the same as the underpinnings of the 2022 Frontier. Some have said they preferred the 5-speed AT over the 9-speed AT as far as shifting operation. The VQ40DE is still better than many of the other V6's on the market and has plenty of power for the Frontier. While some call the D40's exterior "dated," I still see it as a good looking vehicle, albeit maybe conservative by today's choices. The interior is perhaps the biggest drawback; it's functional...but, could be a lot better in design. Plus, you know that there will be plenty of parts for it in the future due to it's 15-year run!

·
Registered
436 Posts
BRubble: ...ASK for a Nissan Loyalty Discount on a New Nissan Frontier...
love that idea. thanks a bunch!
Jack,

Back in 2013 Nissan called them a VPP. Mine was 1K below Dealer Invoice. Anything that I was able to negotiate below that was permissable as well.

Another thing that I didn't know back then was that the Rear Axle Ratio isn't the same on the Different Model's. The AT KC V6 with the 5 speed Trans came with a 2.937 Rear Axle Ratio, which gave them the best MPG. All the other's had a Higher Ratio that gave them lower MPG and the 4X4's get the worst MPG.

At 70 MPH my engine is turning just under 2K rpm's. With the 9 speed's the RPM's are even less, but I don't know the Rear Axle Ratio's for the different model's of them yet. That would be something I would want to know about before purchaseing a New or Used Nissan Truck though. Some of the Sale's People may know this,, but I wouldn't expect them to know. The Guy's @ Nissan Consumer support will be able to tell you the different Rear Axle Ratio's on the 9 speed's.

The Rear Axle Ratio's I didn't know about, but I knew I wanted a KC, AT, with the long bed, and by just Blind Luck got what I needed in MPG. The 4X4 Owner's are constantly Whineing about their MPG #'s. I also didn't know about the Coolant Mixing with the ATF either, between 2005-2010. It was just Blind Luck again when I purchased a New 2013.

If I remember correctly the VPP back then only lasted 1 year, so if they give you one, be aware of that.

Best of Luck,

Reactions: Jackberry
1 - 7 of 7 Posts