Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to get into the xtrail and the drivers door wouldn't open. Ended up finally getting door skin off and can't really see anything obvious. The inside handle moves the bar and the outside moves that one, can grab the inside one and pull on it but nothing. Can't reach the outside one to pull it. Any ideas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ended up spraying the lock mechanism with some nut buster and it started to work after a few tries!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Usually the Actuators screw up, pretty common problem on these, lubricating/cleaning them will extend their life a bit but they will usually screw up again in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aloha.
Instead of posting a new thread, of which I assume there are many... Thread revival as my maiden post!

Reason I joined here is because I'm stumped. And this doesn't happen often with me and cars...
I've got a 2005 X-Trail and the front passenger door just won't open.

Had the door card off, had a good mooch about inside, all the roads seem to be connected as far as I can see. I can move them all manually.
Locking via remote works, which means the electronic locking actuator works.
But when it comes to pulling the handle and unlatching... Nada.

Is there an override of some description?
At the minute I can't see any other option but to get a donor door and get the angle grinder out for a door-ectomy.

Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Aloha.
Instead of posting a new thread, of which I assume there are many... Thread revival as my maiden post!

Reason I joined here is because I'm stumped. And this doesn't happen often with me and cars...
I've got a 2005 X-Trail and the front passenger door just won't open.

Had the door card off, had a good mooch about inside, all the roads seem to be connected as far as I can see. I can move them all manually.
Locking via remote works, which means the electronic locking actuator works.
But when it comes to pulling the handle and unlatching... Nada.

Is there an override of some description?
At the minute I can't see any other option but to get a donor door and get the angle grinder out for a door-ectomy.

Thanks!
hmmm....a mystery! With the panel off once again, can you take a good strong flashlight/trouble light and reinspect ? Roll up your door glass all the way and shine the light inside the door way down into the bottom recess....look for any broken parts, bits of plastic, rods or clips that may be lying there. Next thing i suggest is with your inside door mechanism WELL LIT , take your smart phone and make a video ( or tons of photos/zoom in/out) BEFORE you begin to take anything apart. This way it will help you remember how to reinstall incase you forget. So i would remove the door handle if it does not look too complicated an issue for you. Bring it out into the daylight, place on a work bench and carefully inspect if anything broken, worn out or just needs lube. Maybe you DO need a new door latch handle. Now you have the removal experience and you can go to a pick a part autowrecker and find/remove the parts you need. Or at least call around or go in person to the wrecker part's counter and show them photos/videos of what you may need to replace. Finally, as a last resort, depending on your financial situation, if you cannot fix yourself , take your Xtrail to an autoglass shop. Explain the issue you have. ( i am an autoglass Tech by the way), they have experienced staff that often has to remove/replace automotive door pieces as required. Plus the labour rate is usually way cheaper then at a bodyshop or a mechanic or dealership. Phone a few glass shops and inquire about their hourly shop rate. I hope i have helped you a bit, keep us informed here with your progress and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hmmm....a mystery! With the panel off once again, can you take a good strong flashlight/trouble light and reinspect ? Roll up your door glass all the way and shine the light inside the door way down into the bottom recess....look for any broken parts, bits of plastic, rods or clips that may be lying there. Next thing i suggest is with your inside door mechanism WELL LIT , take your smart phone and make a video ( or tons of photos/zoom in/out) BEFORE you begin to take anything apart. This way it will help you remember how to reinstall incase you forget. So i would remove the door handle if it does not look too complicated an issue for you. Bring it out into the daylight, place on a work bench and carefully inspect if anything broken, worn out or just needs lube. Maybe you DO need a new door latch handle. Now you have the removal experience and you can go to a pick a part autowrecker and find/remove the parts you need. Or at least call around or go in person to the wrecker part's counter and show them photos/videos of what you may need to replace. Finally, as a last resort, depending on your financial situation, if you cannot fix yourself , take your Xtrail to an autoglass shop. Explain the issue you have. ( i am an autoglass Tech by the way), they have experienced staff that often has to remove/replace automotive door pieces as required. Plus the labour rate is usually way cheaper then at a bodyshop or a mechanic or dealership. Phone a few glass shops and inquire about their hourly shop rate. I hope i have helped you a bit, keep us informed here with your progress and good luck.
Thanks for your reply.
I think I've covered the majority of that yesterday. It's like you were there!
I had my phone and took videos with the flashlight. Had a good look about and saw nothing.
The exterior door handle works great.
I've pulled the rod on the inside and the outside handle moved out. I traced the rod all the way to the patch actuator. It disappears into the unit, at which point I can no longer verify whether it's doing what it needs to in there.
I did the same with the interior handle. Traced the rod from the handle to the latch actuator. Again, once it goes in there... Mystery.

I traced the rod for the lock button on the door to the lock actuator. This is connected and works.
If I press the remote button I can see the rod move and the button moves to the correct position. Again, I can't verify what happens in the actual actuator.

This is why I'm thinking the only thing left is the actual actuator set for latch and lock.

Problem is... Can't get it out without the door being open as the three bolts are on the outside of the door.

So I guess my question is; is there a way to get the door lock off with the door shut?
I'm not afraid of dismantling cars.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some further logical thought for documentation purposes;

Option - Remove door striker
Remove plastic from middle pillar between rear and front door, see if I can reach the back of the screws holding the. Striker. On and unscrew it using vice grips.
Don't think this will be possible because A)Might not get access to the back of those screws and B) once I start undoing the screws, they have nowhere to go. They'll hit the door, at which point the striker will still be stuck. Unless I drill the screws out. But, then I'm damaging the frame.

Option - Remove lock
No can do because again, the three biggest screws to the lock are only accessible with the door open. That lock is staying put.

Option - Inside rod in actuator is broken
Maybe I can somehow open the actuator whilst looking in a little mirror or using phone, and make sure that rod is doing what it should. I doubt it. It sounds awfully rattly.

Option - Drastic replacement
Angle grind access to the striker and cut it.
Replace door and striker.

·
Registered
473 Posts
oh wow, yah i can see you do have a pain in the butt issue going on! If you could only get the damn door to open, then as you say, you could remove the bolts and take it from there. I've had similar issues on customer vehicles with the door latched shut and then having to remove the door panel and using a light, go explorer.....super frustrating for sure. Sometimes it was just a matter of sheer luck with using lube and jiggling rods, poking around till something finally gives. I can't think of anything at the moment that would be helpful that you have not already mentioned. That is not to say it is a lost cause. Is the vehicle insured/driveable? I realize you smart and like to figure stuff out/determined etc...but i still think my idea of driving the Xtrail to an autoglass shop may be the best idea at this point. You know why? because what you or I might struggle with and get super frustrated with might be fairly simple solution for a tradesman that does this type of work all day long. You may bring it in and the most senior employee tries to open the door and gets stumped. Then the rookie employee looks at the problem with fresh eyes and offers a solution. Or 2 to 4 employees gang up on it to figure it out. Or the shop manager knows some really smart guy and phones him up, they swap info and the manager gets his hands dirty and does it all by himself. Sometimes it might be so easy that it took 5 minutes and all you need to do is offer to buy the shop a case of beer or donuts and coffee for the next morning. So if you get stumped, try my suggestion. Might end up saving you time, money and aggravation in the long run ;)

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,880 Posts
Try spraying PB Blaster at the actuator while pulling on the rods; keep doing this until maybe something will free up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts