Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The idle is not so good and I noticed that the idler pulley wasn't spinning like the other pulleys were. The guy just put new belts on last week and I'm trying to solve this idle problem.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Are the belts tight?

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
That A/C idler pulley has a habit of seizing up. The bearing in it is very tiny , and after a few years I'm not very surprised that it would be locked up. The extra drag would affect your idle rpm.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
That A/C idler pulley has a habit of seizing up. The bearing in it is very tiny , and after a few years I'm not very surprised that it would be locked up. The extra drag would affect your idle rpm.
The rpm '87 300 n/t when the A/C is off is 900 and when on is 1100. I know it's not that much difference but it doesn't take for the gas to be on E.

When I turn the A/C is on that compressor pulley works fine but the idler pulley bolt isn't moving. Can I put some WD 40 on it or loosen the nut?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
slicked25 said:
The rpm '87 300 n/t when the A/C is off is 900 and when on is 1100. I know it's not that much difference but it doesn't take for the gas to be on E.

When I turn the A/C is on that compressor pulley works fine but the idler pulley bolt isn't moving. Can I put some WD 40 on it or loosen the nut?
No, the nut shoudn't move, that part is ok. I thought the whole pulley was seized up, from the way you described it. As far as the idle goes, that is way way too high. The VG30 typically idles at 500-700 rpm (5-spd trans), I think the auto idles about 100 rpm higher in neutral.... It won't normally idle much higher when under load, the IAC should stabilize it at 500-700 rpm no matter what.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Pft. He thinks he's high. I run a nice 1200 without AC or anything. And I still haven't seen how to adjust it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I upgraded my gas unleaded plus or 89 octane and that helped cut back the black smoke but I guess it would be best to go get a diagnostic check.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts