Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which type of short shifter I buy? I see all types of different ones (e.g. arospeed, stillen, etc.) and different prices. I probably sound like a cheap-ass, but can't I just buy a $25 or $35 short shifter from ebay with no name brand?

Please tell the difference if there is one and which kind do you prefer.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
not really sure dont own one yet but im going with smc, ive never heard a bad thing abought them, plus there adjustable, i think pace setter, and stillen are cheap copys of smc's first version. dont hold me to that. as for ebay i don't buy anything for my car there i've heard too many bad things.

·
Banned
809 Posts
well.. i have a stock short shifter.. i just sawed off about ehhh 3 inches of it. and whalah!, Oh that reminds me, im going to sand it down with my trusty dremmel!!!

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
well.. i have a stock short shifter.. i just sawed off about ehhh 3 inches of it. and whalah!, Oh that reminds me, im going to sand it down with my trusty dremmel!!!
That's not a short shifter...what you have now is a shorter stock shifter. A true short shifter isn't referring to the length...even though most are shorter in length... The short in "short shifter" is referring to the throw....it shortens the shift fulcrum point, which reduces the action needed to go through the gears.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a B&M on my 200SX, and while it'll cost you the most, it's a real nice part. Just depends on whether or not you want to dish out the cash for it. I'd say stay away from cheap Ebay brands, cause you get what you pay for...either go with a SMC/Pacesetter or B&M. Oh yea, don't forget the ES shifter bushings ($7) too, those things help out too.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
myoung said:

That's not a short shifter...what you have now is a shorter stock shifter. A true short shifter isn't referring to the length...even though most are shorter in length... The short in "short shifter" is referring to the throw....it shortens the shift fulcrum point, which reduces the action needed to go through the gears.
Yep. Although by shortening it those 3" or so, you did decrease the throw, it's only a decrease of about 2MM from what I've seen with mine. A short shifter will actually shorten the throw significantly. Which is why I want the SMC really really bad :) .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Arospeed

hey i just bought an arospeed short shifter. DONT BUY iT!!!! I went to buy it and when i took out my old one I looked and there looked to be no difference to the throw cause the balls were the same distance. Furthermore, the linkage bolt that holds the shifter and control rod together doesnt fit the new arosppeed short shifter. Anyone else have problems with this?? So I just returned it and decided to spend my money elsewhere on my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts