Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to make the hood pop open front ways. like "cough cough" vince's Maxima in F&TF... i want to make my 200sx either open forward, or open like usual, and before you lift it, it would like.. slide forward.. anyone know what i am talkig about

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
It can be done by relocating the hood latch to the firewall (lots of cutting and welding) and moving the hinges to the front of the hood. You would also have to shorten the hood release cable and disable the secondary latch for it to work.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
My idea for a cool hood prop idea is this:
Get pneumatic struts (the kind used on hatchbacks) attached to the rear of the hood to the standard mounting points. The struts should be a little larger than A pillar height.
Get 2 more pneumatic struts and mount these in the middle of the hood-3/4 the way back. Then mount the other end to the front corner of the hood openeing around the turn signals.
The purpose of the pneumatics is so that the hood won't slide down on its own. It needs to be pushed.
Anyway, what this does is, when you pop the latch by your left knee, and then unhook the release by the grill, you walk to the side of the fender and laterally push the hood up along the angle of the windshield. This way the hood is supported laying flat along the windshield. (just not touching)
Of course this same setup will support the hood vertically above the enginebay the length of the pneumatics. So the hood will look like a wing in the front of the car.
If you had the cash, get the mechanisms that control shaved door handles and have the hood pop itself open. You could get air controlled pistons and have the length of the piston be vertically down. That way the piston is perpendicular to the turn signalls, and goes down by the a pillars as well. So when you hit the button, the hood vertically lifts the length of the pistons.
Personally I like the air controlled setup for the hood which lays along the windshield. I have a design to do it (in my head) but its waaay to expensive, and involves alot of custom work. It isn't worth it.
Why not take a factory hood and splice it down the middle. That way the hood opens like clamshell doors. It's real easy to hinge the setup, and you can even use regular prop rods to keep the cost down. Just accessing the engine from the sides gets complicated.
Along those lines, you could take the air lift part and connect it vertically by the factory hood hinges. Get the air pistons on a servo, so when you lift the hood vertically, once the hood gets high enough so that it is an inch or so over the roof, have the servos spin the pistons in opposite directions so that the hood splits in the middle, and like angel wings, each side completes a 180 degree loop to sit over the roof.

Seth

·
Registered
479 Posts
or if you want to do something i little more practical you can add a remote pop to you hood through your alarm that way instead of going inside and sliding your hand and popping it with the level use your remote.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
oh !! do u mean how like the 1984 SAAB 900's hood open. cuz my old car the saab had the hood slide down up front and then lift up forward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts