Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new set of tires and the idea stuck in my mind : is it worth it spending the cash to upgrade from factory steel wheels to something nicer maybe aluminium etc?

T30 .

·
Registered
427 Posts
hi, well that is entirely up to you and your bank account! You know George, when i was younger (in my 20s ) i did buy aftermarket rims for at least two vehicles. Sure they made the vehicle look spiffy/sporty, but overall a huge waste of money ( maybe not so bad if you buy used rims for a cheap price.). The rims did not make my vehicles go any faster, i did Not gain any extra horsepower, nobody stopped to take my photograph and get my autograph, young ladies did not stop on the sidewalk and throw their panties at me. When i bought my used '06 Xtrail in 2015, it came with the original factory wheel covers. A year or so later, i went to my local auto parts store and bought a set of four new wheel covers for $45 canadian. They look better then the stock, and i never worry about a thief trying to steal them. So, my advice would be: Forget the after market new rims, put the money to upgrading the interior, the engine, LED lighting, fresh transmission fluid/oil change, new wipers, upgrade your stereo ( again, that can also be expensive...maximum i spent recently was $145 for a new bluetooth am/fm/cd double din unit and still using the Xtrail's four stock speakers...all work great). My Xtrail was missing the rear pull out cargo cover, so i bought one from an auto wrecker. I bought new Cooper All weather tires, because sometimes i get a bit of snow in the winter or if i want to go fishing in the summer down a bumpy gravel logging road. I spent my money on things like a new oxygen sensor, new cam & crank sensors, new battery, new seat covers, i needed new brakes (in 2019), i needed a new exhaust manifold pipe (in 2020). What i am getting at, if you have plenty of spare cash and you can afford New rims, then do what makes you happy. I just chose to put my monies into repair, maintenance and upgrades as My priorities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, well that is entirely up to you and your bank account! You know George, when i was younger (in my 20s ) i did buy aftermarket rims for at least two vehicles. Sure they made the vehicle look spiffy/sporty, but overall a huge waste of money ( maybe not so bad if you buy used rims for a cheap price.). The rims did not make my vehicles go any faster, i did Not gain any extra horsepower, nobody stopped to take my photograph and get my autograph, young ladies did not stop on the sidewalk and throw their panties at me. When i bought my used '06 Xtrail in 2015, it came with the original factory wheel covers. A year or so later, i went to my local auto parts store and bought a set of four new wheel covers for $45 canadian. They look better then the stock, and i never worry about a thief trying to steal them. So, my advice would be: Forget the after market new rims, put the money to upgrading the interior, the engine, LED lighting, fresh transmission fluid/oil change, new wipers, upgrade your stereo ( again, that can also be expensive...maximum i spent recently was $145 for a new bluetooth am/fm/cd double din unit and still using the Xtrail's four stock speakers...all work great). My Xtrail was missing the rear pull out cargo cover, so i bought one from an auto wrecker. I bought new Cooper All weather tires, because sometimes i get a bit of snow in the winter or if i want to go fishing in the summer down a bumpy gravel logging road. I spent my money on things like a new oxygen sensor, new cam & crank sensors, new battery, new seat covers, i needed new brakes (in 2019), i needed a new exhaust manifold pipe (in 2020). What i am getting at, if you have plenty of spare cash and you can afford New rims, then do what makes you happy. I just chose to put my monies into repair, maintenance and upgrades as My priorities.
Yeah I thought so on these type of vehicles it isn’t worth much I’m gonna go with a paint (repair) Job and new wheel covers instead of rims . Maintenance is on spot though .
Thank you for your detailed answer !

·
Registered
632 Posts
A good looking car at a mechanic shop isn't practical. If you would be pleased with the way the car looks like with a set of wheels, then why not. If you have to choose between maintenance and good looking, then choose maintenance.
When i bought my ct200h, the trident wheels had curb rash and even if that couldn't affect the car reliability or running smoothly, i bought a new set of wheels from the dealer. It wasn't a cheap choice but the way i looked at the car and the feeling washing it made me feel better.
That was a thing i should have done before with the xtrail years ago. A set of good looking aftermarket wheels for summer and factory wheels for winter tires.
Just my opinion

·
Registered
427 Posts
final suggestion from me....scour the used for sale Ads online or even facebook marketplace. Sometimes George you can find a really good set of four used rims that were barely ever used . There are people who buy a New vehicle and immediately go buy a new set of rims, taking off the factory ones and putting them into storage. So maybe look for Nissan Altima rims or Sentra, Frontier, etc. You can check what will fit correctly online or call up a Nissan dealer service department rep and ask what will fit. Make sure you ensure correct fit for tires, bolt pattern, if awd , clearance and that the used rims are going to make a good contact / seal with the the tires you put on them. ( no bent rim lip or cracks etc.)

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,078 Posts
I used to use an old set of 2002 Maxima 17'' alloy rims for my X trail summer tires, and sold them a month ago for $140 without tires on Kijiji. Paid 300 for them with fairly good tires 6 or 7 years ago--again Kijiji. I have also bought sets of JWL factory alloy rims for an Acura and a Subaru for 200 each on Kijiji. And, when I sold the X trail last November I bought a set of 16'' X trail alloys for $120, and some good used Toyo winter tires for 100 and to put on it.
Off the top of my head Maxima, Altima, Murano, and first-gen Rogues all had the same center bore, lug pattern, and offset. You can check at a site like the following to see the different tire and rim sizes and the needed specs for each model
You may have to search a bit over the course of a couple of months to find a decent set at a good price but they do exist. Personally, a nicer set of rims is preferable to steelies with a hub cap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
final suggestion from me....scour the used for sale Ads online or even facebook marketplace. Sometimes George you can find a really good set of four used rims that were barely ever used . There are people who buy a New vehicle and immediately go buy a new set of rims, taking off the factory ones and putting them into storage. So maybe look for Nissan Altima rims or Sentra, Frontier, etc. You can check what will fit correctly online or call up a Nissan dealer service department rep and ask what will fit. Make sure you ensure correct fit for tires, bolt pattern, if awd , clearance and that the used rims are going to make a good contact / seal with the the tires you put on them. ( no bent rim lip or cracks etc.)
That’s what I though too thank you for your answer again friend !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to use an old set of 2002 Maxima 17'' alloy rims for my X trail summer tires, and sold them a month ago for $140 without tires on Kijiji. Paid 300 for them with fairly good tires 6 or 7 years ago--again Kijiji. I have also bought sets of JWL factory alloy rims for an Acura and a Subaru for 200 each on Kijiji. And, when I sold the X trail last November I bought a set of 16'' X trail alloys for $120, and some good used Toyo winter tires for 100 and to put on it.
Off the top of my head Maxima, Altima, Murano, and first-gen Rogues all had the same center bore, lug pattern, and offset. You can check at a site like the following to see the different tire and rim sizes and the needed specs for each model
You may have to search a bit over the course of a couple of months to find a decent set at a good price but they do exist. Personally, a nicer set of rims is preferable to steelies with a hub cap.
That’s very useful thank you , I agree steelies look a bit odd and caps tend to break some times.
They would work. You could also use Infiniti rims. If you were in this neck of the woods these would be a great deal and cool in black
thank you they surely look very cool.

·
Registered
427 Posts
They would work. You could also use Infiniti rims. If you were in this neck of the woods these would be a great deal and cool in black
ohhhhhh...you just reminded of something very important! i currently have the stock 16'' rims ! recall i bought them Cooper AT4 tires about two years ago? they still in 80 % tread life. So i guess i will not bother to look for them Rogue rims lol.....i'm sticking to 16s and rims not on my priority list for the time being. Thanks for the advice tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts