Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, do you coast to a stop or downshift while decellerating? Just about all of the people I know put it in neutral and use only the brakes. So I just want some stats on what style you all use.

I now like to heel-toe downshift when coming to a stop since it is less work for the brakes, better control since you are always in gear, and it's more fun. :cool:

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
I don't know how to drive standard transmission, cuz I am a stupid n00b. All about the Automatic Man!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BORNGEARHEAD said:
I don't downshift. It's cheaper to replace brake pads than clutches.
Proper clutch use will yield milage of over 75k miles on one clutch.
Brake pads are replaced much more often. In the end, the clutch is less expensive over a period of 100k miles.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sentrastud said:
depends one what type of mood im in. If its just a plain day, ill let the auto do its stuff. If im feeling sporty (or i need a panic stop!) ill push the lever forward into Neutral and coast to a stop. If im feeling racy, then ill downshift for a bit.

-Nick
This is a survey for MTX drivers. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm fairly new to driving manual, so usually I'd just throw it in neutral and use the brakes. However, when I went out today (did a lot of highway driving), I made it a point to downshift through all the gears so I didn't have to use the brakes as much (after I read this thread obviously). I think I'm gonna do that from now on...unless I'm lazy or I don't have time to downshift.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
In my auto....

.. I just turn off the Over Drive for engine braking! Good enough for me except in 20mph-50mph rush hour traffic... then I use 1-2-D-OD. I wish I had a manual but yet, I kinda like the auto.... hmm... too bad I don't have an SE-R. Anyone got one that they can give to me for free? :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
My way

Downshifting is usually my way of doing things. I like the way you can just step on the pedal in the low gear when the light turns green and see everyone in your rear view ... laggers. Or just hugging a corner on a downshift ... nothing gets me more excited. LOL.

·
Registered
672 Posts
wouldnt downsfting on your automatic totally ruin the tranny? i mean switching OD off i can understanfd, but going from d to 2 to 1? woulnt something go wrong?

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
i dunno, the ECU does rev matching almost better than any human could so I suppose its prbably better than downshifting a manual, but its probably a bit hard on the torque converter.
Ive been just shifting into neutral more and more these days. Its good to because it reduces engine vibration at stops.

-Nick

·
Registered
672 Posts
dho: yes , but thyere not going from d to 2 to 1 at a fats rate, they stop,change it and go...i heard from a reputable mecahnic that shifting the auto like that can mess things up long term however if u over do it. i think thats why level ten is making that plug in to manually shift your auto.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i rarely downshift to stop, i will do it when i slow down for a turn so i can exit it at higher rpms.

also when you down shift, do you rev-match(on a manual)? if you dont, how harsh is it on your clutch, tranny, ect.?
(this question is for anyone)

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
I match revs when I down shift. I have been heel-toe shifting for about 4 years now(ever since I had my D21). Ill tell ya after you do it for a while it becomes second nature, you wont even be thinking about doing it. You see the best part about doing it every day is that when you go race you are not wasting precious moments thinking about heel-toeing, it just happens. If you do not make it a point to do it every day, every downshift then you will never get right during a race because you will have to think about it before you do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
when you heal - toe shift, its right ball of foot on brake and right heal on gas as you shift, then clutch out and transfer right foot to gas right?

if that is true, is the car supposed to come out of corners really, really fast? i dont know if im doing it right. but everytime i try it the car exits the corners alot faster than expected, too fast for me to practice it repeatedly with obstacles nearby(cars, sidewalks, balding tires, ect..). need to find an empty parking lot...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.