Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 92k miles on my 98 Sentra XE. I was looking around under the car and noticed the protective boot on the rear struts is deteriorated. It's that black rubber piece that goes over the strut piston and under the spring. The strut piston is exposed to the elements and probably has been for a while. I still have the original struts installed so maybe I'm due anyway. :thumbup:
 

·
Drop-Out
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
98Midnight said:
I have 92k miles on my 98 Sentra XE. I was looking around under the car and noticed the protective boot on the rear struts is deteriorated. It's that black rubber piece that goes over the strut piston and under the spring. The strut piston is exposed to the elements and probably has been for a while. I still have the original struts installed so maybe I'm due anyway. :thumbup:
Does your car bounce when you hit bumps etc?
 

·
Boxed Fox
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
98Midnight said:
I have 92k miles on my 98 Sentra XE. I was looking around under the car and noticed the protective boot on the rear struts is deteriorated. It's that black rubber piece that goes over the strut piston and under the spring. The strut piston is exposed to the elements and probably has been for a while. I still have the original struts installed so maybe I'm due anyway. :thumbup:
That stupid strut boot goes after a while. I had it happen to me too. If it's coming apart in rings, you may as well take a pair of scissors to them and cut them off. Otherwise, they might get sucked into the strut mount like with my old suspension system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NEW STRUTS?

If I replace my struts what brand of strut should I go with? I want something similar to stock but maybe a little sportier. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
my 91 sentra has the strut boot-delete option :D


all the boots are BADLY worn, but the struts seem to work fine, i love the ride i have, its not bouncy or too harsh...its a good medium. although one of my rear struts has a greasy film all over it (the other three are clean)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RBI 04 are you talking about your stock struts? My ride can be a little nerve-racking even as slow as 60-70 mph. I definitely don't love the ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
OEM is never bad, but for the money you could have a Sweet setup. look into tprices for coil over systems, or maybe just performance struts like KYB and some springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
98Midnight said:
RBI 04 are you talking about your stock struts? My ride can be a little nerve-racking even as slow as 60-70 mph. I definitely don't love the ride.
my car is completely stock. the rides not the best. but i dont have ANY complaints :D
 

·
Boxed Fox
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
98Midnight said:
If I replace my struts what brand of strut should I go with? I want something similar to stock but maybe a little sportier. :rolleyes:
KYB GR2's are actually really nice on B14 stock springs. The settings are slightly firmer than the stock ones, so the car feels a lot better balanced in the city and a little less floaty on the highway. The prices are pretty reasonable too. Just don't stick lowering springs or anything on them, or you'll ruin them pretty quickly.
 

·
Boxed Fox
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
98Midnight said:
Thanks. I'll check Ebay for some KYBs is there another good cheap place to look?
GR2's are $48 a corner from Tire Rack.

You can find the rears for as low as $21 though (rockauto.com, for example).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
My memory says the OEM shocks are made my Tokico, but am not sure.

And to agree with others, yes, KYB GR-2s are what you want. And keep your stock springs on there. The GR-2s are similar to stock, maybe a bit stiffer for a bit more control. Aftermarket springs or coilovers will make your car significantly stiffer, and cost $$$. If you don't install the shocks/struts yourself, shop around for a price - it varies a lot, and you can get quotes over the phone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going with KYB GR2. I just bought 4 new ones off Ebay. I can't wait to get them installed! I'll be reusing my stock springs if they're still good. No more highway float.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I just had my struts installed yesterday and a wheel alignment. 3 of the struts were dead. The ride is only slightly better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
ReVerm said:
KYB GR2's are actually really nice on B14 stock springs. The settings are slightly firmer than the stock ones, so the car feels a lot better balanced in the city and a little less floaty on the highway. The prices are pretty reasonable too. Just don't stick lowering springs or anything on them, or you'll ruin them pretty quickly.
I have a 1990 240 that came with tien lowering springs. I was told my struts were bad, so I purchased kyb gr2 struts. And you're telling me that they're going to get ruined now?!
 

·
Boxed Fox
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
JDM240Turbo said:
I have a 1990 240 that came with tien lowering springs. I was told my struts were bad, so I purchased kyb gr2 struts. And you're telling me that they're going to get ruined now?!
Unfortunately, that could be the case. This really depends on the spring rate of the lowering springs. If they're noticably higher than stock (in my book, that's like at least a 5~10% difference), you may have problems with wear and tear. Most lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs, so GR2's tend to get worn out rather quickly when paired with these.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
ReVerm said:
Unfortunately, that could be the case. This really depends on the spring rate of the lowering springs. If they're noticably higher than stock (in my book, that's like at least a 5~10% difference), you may have problems with wear and tear. Most lowering springs are stiffer than stock springs, so GR2's tend to get worn out rather quickly when paired with these.

Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.
Specs: Nissan 240SX TEIN STech Springs 207 lb 1.5 in front / 179 lb 1.2 in rear - S Tech Lowering Springs

It took me a while to find this information, and I'm too lazy to check for the stock spring rates. What do you think of this info?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top