Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several choices:
locking (use an elevator key style and fit flush)
sliding pole
hair pin

Is there an advantage or disadvantage to either?

To install basically install the hood and line it up right and close it.
Then prop up the hood. Install the pin bases wherever you like in the bay that you can find. Then put some grease or an upsidedown paper reinforcement on the rod and close the hood. Lift the hood and lightly drill a pilot hole where that spot was. Then gentky widen the hole until the rod fits through.
Now attacd the hood washer/spacer/clip. You're done.

Seth

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i would think hood pins are aluminum, it wont rust but unless you have it painted or metal sealed it will loose its lustre/shine. why do you need hood pins? i think i do for my b13 because the hood latch dosnt reallt work to hot, so im just goint to by pass that and possibly use hood pins instead (unless i can fix it, i would much rather just fix it)

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.6pete said:
i would think hood pins are aluminum, it wont rust but unless you have it painted or metal sealed it will loose its lustre/shine. why do you need hood pins? i think i do for my b13 because the hood latch dosnt reallt work to hot, so im just goint to by pass that and possibly use hood pins instead (unless i can fix it, i would much rather just fix it)
The consensus on the boards is that even with an OEM style latch, C/F hoods still need pins for safety.
On ebay they are going from $70-300. I can't decide which between the cheepie ones. The VIS is $300. Then all the rest are under $100 and there is one for $200 which looks the same as the $100. This isn't a performance mod, it's for looks since the car will be repainted and it's cheaper to get a cheepie C/F hood then to re-spray it.
I was going to just viynyil it, but for $100 more I get the real deal.

Seth

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
sethwas said:
The consensus on the boards is that even with an OEM style latch, C/F hoods still need pins for safety.
On ebay they are going from $70-300. I can't decide which between the cheepie ones. The VIS is $300. Then all the rest are under $100 and there is one for $200 which looks the same as the $100. This isn't a performance mod, it's for looks since the car will be repainted and it's cheaper to get a cheepie C/F hood then to re-spray it.

Seth
Consensus ? First I've heard that one..

I've had a Carbon fiber hood on my car for 3 years... there's no need for pins.. it's more of a cosmetic deal unless you're racing competitively and it's required. But for daily driving...... cosmetic

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
sethwas said:

Seth
i didnt know you had a carbon fiber hood :thumbup: i would say a set of hood pins with a black washer and the locking ones (they sit more flush to the hodd instead of those stupid coter pin types) would blend in and be pretty unnoticable.

these would be the best for a carbon fiber hood and would be very stealthy. but like mike said, as long as you have the OEM latch ajusted properly it shouldnt be a problem with out them.
sethwas said:

Seth
wait.........you were going to use that fake vinyl carbon fiber for the hood? seth, i thought you had better taste than that. for interior pieces or the reflector on the rear its ok i guess....but the entire hood? come on man.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
myoung said:
Consensus ? First I've heard that one..

I've had a Carbon fiber hood on my car for 3 years... there's no need for pins.. it's more of a cosmetic deal unless you're racing competitively and it's required. But for daily driving...... cosmetic
The fiberglass latch on my Fiber Images hood wore through.
The metal safety latch still holds, but with out pins it would of flew up on me.

Sure, you don't have to have them, but tell that to the guys who have had their hood fly up on them. :fluffy:

Now, onto the pin question.
They should not rust.

The key (hot rod) style ones take a bit more work to install.
You have to cut a good size hole into the webbing to fit the backing plate.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.6pete said:
wait.........you were going to use that fake vinyl carbon fiber for the hood? seth, i thought you had better taste than that. for interior pieces or the reflector on the rear its ok i guess....but the entire hood? come on man.
I was going to as the car is not a daily driver. But for the square footage required for the hood it's only $100 more for the rear deal. Mind you cheepie real deal, but real nonetheless.

I got this e-mail from the company that has the cheapest hood on ebay:

Dear Seth,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our eBay item NISSAN 200SX 200 SX SENTRA 95 96 97 98 99 1999 NEW
HOOD, Stock # 9552 is only a hood without the hood latch/lock.

You may use an OEM hood latch for this hood. Additional pins may
not be required to install this.

This is an excellent quality aftermarket part offered at a
fraction of OEM cost. All parts meet or exceed OEM standards for
a perfect fit every time.

Should you have other concerns please feel free to send us an
e-mail or visit us at www.carpartswholesale.net. Our Customer
Service Hotline is 866-828-4322. Our experts are available six
days a week. Mondays thru Fridays 5:30 AM - 7:00 PM and
Saturdays 6:00 AM - 4:00 PM Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

carpartswholesale.net
Customer Service Hotline 866-828-4322

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
^ i go to that site all the time for pics, when ever anyone here needs pics of wheels or asks about stock wheels (like "what other stock wheels will fit my ###) good place, crazy prices on the wheels though lol ($200 something per SE-R wheel ! :waving: )

so your accualy going to use fake carbon fiber sticker? you realize that really dosent look anything like carbon fiber at all. its simply a cheacker board pattern of black and grey/silver. it will look pretty bad IMHO

·
4,571 Posts
1CLNB14 said:
The fiberglass latch on my Fiber Images hood wore through.
The metal safety latch still holds, but with out pins it would of flew up on me.

Sure, you don't have to have them, but tell that to the guys who have had their hood fly up on them. :fluffy:

Now, onto the pin question.
They should not rust.

The key (hot rod) style ones take a bit more work to install.
You have to cut a good size hole into the webbing to fit the backing plate.
good point!

Where did it break.???.the bottom loop or where it attaches to the hood? I had a little rattle on mine, just wrapped a small piece of silicone hose on the bracket and it closed tighter and stopped the rattle.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
myoung said:
have a link to the product on ebay?
i guess mike isn't as ingenious as me ;)

go to ebay and copy and paste this in
NISSAN 200SX 200 SX SENTRA 95 96 97 98 99 1999 NEW HOOD

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.6pete said:
^so your accualy going to use fake carbon fiber sticker?
No,
hahahaha. I thought about it but when I tallied the cost it was close enough to get the real deal so I'm getting the real deal.
Think about it. They want $200 to ship me a C/F hood of questionable quality. That's the same as it costs to paint a hood. All I need are some hood pins after that and I lose the 'pop' the hood feature as there probably isn't a latch (I wonder if the steel one can be attached...)
For $270 I get one possibly with a latch.
For $275 but have broken-in-shipment stories but but with only $20 exra for pins inclued.
For $400 I get who knows what relative to the $200 versions.
For $450 I get the VIS.
All prices are shipped.

Seth

P.S. I'm thinking of getting the cheapest one listed because the seller does the most business, actually has a phone number, and replied to my e-mail the same day, plus they take american express. The rest (short the vis) haven't replied nor post a phone number and only want paypal or money order.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
that hood from car parts wholesale is not carbon fiber, its black primer.

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
myoung said:
good point!

Where did it break.???.the bottom loop or where it attaches to the hood? I had a little rattle on mine, just wrapped a small piece of silicone hose on the bracket and it closed tighter and stopped the rattle.
Not the loop, that's metal, but the fiberglass shell shaped thing that the latch hooks onto.
It chipped right through.

I'm going with a Syndicate hood this time.

·
4,571 Posts
1CLNB14 said:
Not the loop, that's metal, but the fiberglass shell shaped thing that the latch hooks onto.
It chipped right through.

I'm going with a Syndicate hood this time.
haven't had that problem or seen one that has...did you call them?? leave a message...hahaha

·
I command you to SEARCH
2,748 Posts
myoung said:
haven't had that problem or seen one that has...did you call them?? leave a message...hahaha
It's not worth the time or energy.
The pins held it just fine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts