Nissan Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Cut 1 inch above the pivot ball. Then, after you put everything back together, you can move the pivot ball up, increasing the lever arm length. Its necessary to have a welder, unless you just want to hack your shifter. In that case, cut about 1 1/2 to 2 inches off the top.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
An important note to anyone getting the pacesetter shifter, from my recent experience installing one, the lower shift ball cup that was included with the shifter is the wrong part DO NOT USE IT!!, it is actually the same as the upper cup, if you use the cup that comes with the shifter your shifter will be very tight and may not spring back to center as my didn't. From astreamk1's experience when installing his, he told me to cut the stock shifter in half and to use the stock lower cup which happens to be larger and deeper than the top cup. I did what he said and reinstalled the shifter and it is smooth as glass now, shifter springs back to center like stock and is a pleasure to use. The grease we both used to lube the shifter ball is syl-glide from NAPA it is silicone based and works very well.

I adjusted the shift ball as high as it will go on the shifter and did not have to space or cut the shifter pan cover at all, I used a 3/8" breaker bar to push the metal cover down from inside the car and I have no rubbing issues at all.

Now just have to make a custom boot as the stock one looks strange now.
I also contacted PAcesetter about this and haven't heard back from them at all.

Just a heads up to all, thanks again for your help astreamk1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, I hope someone can help me. I have a 87 sentra, b12, right? I found the pacesetter short throw shifter and was wondering how entailed the installation is and also how it works. Is it worth it? I don't want to have to do a lot of cutting and stuff, I watched installation videos but not on a b12 directly...it looks easy, but I know they are different on all cars so I was just wondering if anyone has successfully installed one, and also if any other companies/dealers or whatever sell them for 87 sentra and how they compare? thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished using all these great pictures to fab my own short throw shift on my b12. I cut just one inch above the piviot ball and removed the ball (which took a few hours, untill i figured out griping the ball tight and twisting it off the stick was the only way to remove it) all together the arm dropped about a full inch. Spent the next hour making the heat shield fit and after a beating it finaly fit. All in All it took 10 bucks (including the Pull-A-Part charge) which was much much cheaper then the 100 bucks for the aftermarket one. And i still have the stock one if i ever need to go back :)

Thanks for the how to!

·
Registered
573 Posts
will a short shifter from a b13 fit the b12?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
b13 shifter will not fit a b12

41 - 47 of 47 Posts