Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Nissan Guru
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sick and tired of the proprod, its not broken but i like how the maxima has the lifter, hydrolic bars in it , can we do it too , and if so how and if you got some pics show em please, i want to get some from Autozone but id like to know before i try.
thanks

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
It can be done. I haven't gotten around to doing it, but it would just take a little geometry. I've seen guys put it on their VWs.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
cool..then you can send me the little black rubber boot thats at the end..mines all fubar...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah I would definately be interested in doing that. Its the little things I like. I love my car but there are some cheap things around like not having a hood light. I may invest in hood lights and some lifters instead of that damn rod always getting in my way!

·
Registered
179 Posts
If those lifters can hold a Cherokee trunk open they should be able to hold up our hoods. Is there enough room on the edges of the hood to put them there?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Definately. I'm sure there will be several interested people, inluding myself.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
SoMissSentra said:
If those lifters can hold a Cherokee trunk open they should be able to hold up our hoods. Is there enough room on the edges of the hood to put them there?
well, there are many different types, they mostly go on size and the amount of weight you plan on lifting. You don't want them so strong that you have to sit on the hood to gewt it closed, yet you don't want a weak one that will drop the hood on your head. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but if the hood is 20lbs, you want to get two pneumatic bars that are small and designed to lift 10lbs ea (11 or 12lbs to be safe). A maxima's hood is bigger and heavier, therefore, a maxima lifts may be overkill, who knows.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i remember sport compact car did the carbon fiber hood thing and weighed the stock hood. i cant find my copy, and their website keeps crashing my browser, so i cant find out. but i think it was like 24 lbs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah that sounds right, because didn't the new C/F hood weigh between 11-13lbs. You can probably find out from NPM.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
i'd imagine gettni the same ones off a maxima would do the trick eh?
I would assume that they would be perfect to use (not overkill like i said earlier). The only problem I see with using OEM maxima ones is the fact that you will only find them at the stealership, or the junkyard. In other words, you're either going to pay too much, or you're going to get junk. I would check a discount auto parts first.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
It isn't as simple as finding a strut. There is not clearance under the hood along the fender to mount a strut. When the hood is lowered the strut 'lies down'. Where is it expected to do that? Only if the strut isn't mounted along the edge of the hood/fender. You would need to mount it somewhere enar the fuses or battery or start cutting away at sheetmetal.

Seth

·
Registered
179 Posts
That sounds good. That will make things a lot easier under the hood. You should be able to buy the Maxima replacements from AutoZone for a good price.

Better than the dealership anyway.

·
Banned
809 Posts
wait.. how do these work... are the powered by anything? or just natural asthetics of hydrolics? if they are natural hydrolics, i might be making a new project pretty soon.. if they have motors or something, that may be a diff story~

1 - 20 of 57 Posts