Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had replaced my distributor about 6 months ago due to some serious wabbling in the pins. The rotor button was all over the place. Today the bolt that holds the rotor in place fell out and shot a whole through the distributor cap. Upon removing the cap I noticed that again the distributor is getting sloppy and I was able to turn the rod that connects the dizzy to the cam pretty freely. I ordered a new distributor and will be installing it tomorrow. Is there a chance that it won't line up with the cam, or that the timing will be off because of this?? Or will it simply line up when I turn the rotor button to the right spot and the distributor will slide in without issue?? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
you will have to set the timing, see the threads on the forum.
Set the engine to TDC number 1 firing, with the distributor rotor to number one and then it will fire up.
follow the instructions to put the ECU into timing mode, set the idle and then the timing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had replaced my distributor about 6 months ago due to some serious wabbling in the pins. The rotor button was all over the place. Today the bolt that holds the rotor in place fell out and shot a whole through the distributor cap. Upon removing the cap I noticed that again the distributor is getting sloppy and I was able to turn the rod that connects the dizzy to the cam pretty freely. I ordered a new distributor and will be installing it tomorrow. Is there a chance that it won't line up with the cam, or that the timing will be off because of this?? Or will it simply line up when I turn the rotor button to the right spot and the distributor will slide in without issue?? Thanks in advance.
My rotor screw use to fall out all the time. I know it wasn't smart but I put a wood screw that was a little to big in to insure that it doesn't come out until I make it. Did you buy your rotor at advance auto parts? I have found that the screw it comes with is barely to small and WILL fall out eventually.

·
Registered
485 Posts
try using loctite. The wood screw is do able but it becomes an issue after time. Or try going to home depot or other place with good selection of machine screws.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried loctite. It eventually broke lose. The wood screw was a quick fix and isn't permanent. But my car hasn't left me on the side of the road since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The screw size is m5x10 I haven't been able to make it to a hardware store. I have a wood screw in there now. Obviously the threads are wrong but I added some jb weld to hold it until I can get to the store. I tried loctite and it broke free.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
Is this a M5x0.5x10 (fine) or M5x0.8x10 (Coarse)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts