Nissan Forum banner

Distributer shaft play

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  I'm Slow 
#1 ·
how much moveable play should there be to the distributor shaft because im coming up with code 1430 and my shaft has some play in it but im not sure how much is cinsidered too much

#2 ·
Any one? there is about 1/8 of a turn in my shaft...about 30-40* Im doubting that this is normal and im guessing that it is retarding my timing and bogging my car down. Does any one know how to lower the play in the distributor shaft or am i better off just buying a new one?

#3 ·
slow200 said:
Any one? there is about 1/8 of a turn in my shaft...about 30-40* Im doubting that this is normal and im guessing that it is retarding my timing and bogging my car down. Does any one know how to lower the play in the distributor shaft or am i better off just buying a new one?
Honestly I am confused by your post. I don't understand what has play in it. The distributor, if you remove it, has a fitting on the end that inserts into the exhaust cam. are you saying that has play? Or doe the whole distributor move back and forth as if you were trying to advance/retard the timing? If it is moving do you have the bolts tightened down?

#4 ·
wes said:
Honestly I am confused by your post. I don't understand what has play in it. The distributor, if you remove it, has a fitting on the end that inserts into the exhaust cam. are you saying that has play? Or doe the whole distributor move back and forth as if you were trying to advance/retard the timing? If it is moving do you have the bolts tightened down?
The rotor you are suposed to change every 15K miles is screwed onto a long round piece of metal which is attached to the exhaust cam. Im assuming that this metal is the distributor shaft. The "shaft" is loose, it can turn about 1/8th of a turn freely if i twist it. And i know it is retarting my timing. All i was asking, was, Is this normal? Should the shaft that the rotor sits on, twist at all?

#6 ·
lshadoff said:
My B14 FSM does not list P1430

Lew
i ran it on this little scanner that you plug in near the fuse kick panel and it said code 1430 misfire...it didnt specify which cylinder so i just took it as a general misfire off all cylinders. BTW sence my timing is retarted(thus the engine is lagging and sputtering) but reads normal. would it be safe to advance it to counter balance the bogg down?

#7 ·
slow200 said:
i ran it on this little scanner that you plug in near the fuse kick panel and it said code 1430 misfire...it didnt specify which cylinder so i just took it as a general misfire off all cylinders. BTW sence my timing is retarted(thus the engine is lagging and sputtering) but reads normal. would it be safe to advance it to counter balance the bogg down?
The B14 FSM lists P0300 as the Multi Cylinder Misfire Code, and P0301-P0304 for Cylinder 1 Misfire - Cylinder 4 Misfire. I checked a few other Nissan Models, and the misfire code is the same as the B14 for all of them, and there is no 1430 for any of them.

Lew

#8 ·
slow200 said:
If the ist. is suspect replace it! there are OEM B14 parts for sale in the classifies an he had a ist. for sale cheap...

#9 ·
wes said:
If the ist. is suspect replace it! there are OEM B14 parts for sale in the classifies an he had a ist. for sale cheap...

you talking about me? cause $20 cant beat it ;)

#13 ·
slow200 said:
since my timing is retarted(thus the engine is lagging and sputtering) but reads normal. would it be safe to advance it to counter balance the bogg down?
DUDE who's to say that is the exact problem and that it couldn't over advance if it failed... You need to replace it with a used one and be done with it...

#14 ·
wes said:
DUDE who's to say that is the exact problem and that it couldn't over advance if it failed... You need to replace it with a used one and be done with it...
i ordered not anotherhonda 's dist. but for the meantime to go to work and school it takes 20'min and it should only take about 5 lol it just sucks not being able to accelerrate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.