Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst perusing the pages of my treasured Nissan '87 Pulsar Factory Service Manual, I discovered a 'fail-safe' to the E16i:

If, for any reason, you find that your TBI-equipped car won't go beyond 2400-2500 RPMs, it is because your heated airflow sensor has failed. When this happens, your ECM will store a Code 12 in the Mode III Diagnostic memory bank and it will tell the Throttle Position Sensor to take over for the failed component. Your RPMs will be limited to 2400-2500 RPMs to tell you this has occurred. Kewl, eh?

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would seem that once this occurs, it affects the engine in all modes of operation: Cold, hot, idle, etc. It just won't go over 2400 rpm, no matter what.

I'm also gonna investigate the speed sensor issue...the speed sensor is located in the speedometer head, as part of it. You know...things we take for granted and/or overlook...God, I love this book!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
hmm well im pretty sure mine was still the idle speed control because i smacked it and my troubles went away BUT even if it was unplugged i would have the problem after drivin my car for 5 minutes or so

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Well youll probably the first one to know that problem before it arise by itself... if you go throu a search into this forum, you can see that this subject has been beaten to death a while ago :D ...amazingly taught, it didnt happen to someone here in over 6 months or so...

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I haven't heard anyone having a problem with the failsafe in a long time. Most cars have them, a sort of limp home mode. If something isn't right it'll restrict the car to keep from killing itself. CA20E only lets you up to 3000rpm or so in limp home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts