Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I inherited my sister's 95 Sentra GXE a few weeks ago. After hitting the local import shops to browse, all my friends laughed at me when I told them that the car I was trying to supe up was the tan 95 Sentra out in the parking lot. They all told me I have no chance in the 1/4 against any of their Hondas, Acuras, and Mitsus. I just wanted to know what some of you guys' 1/4 mile times were and maybe some suggestions to make this 1.6 get some more horses. I have everything I want picked out so far (GReddy cat-back, hotshot header, stillen intake, nitto tires, so forth). I just wanted reassurance that I wasnt wasting my money on a car that has no potential as everyone tells me.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Its not really that it has no potential, it might just take a little more money. But really the engine does better with the basic bolt on than a Honda engine would. If you really want to show those Honda buys, buy the Turbo and then kill em! You can get the basics and still have some good times, but its probably one of the lower engines out there that are being done all motor. My friends are the same way though, they tell me why waste my time with a Nissan. That just makes the time and money worthwhile. Cause really, who is gonna feel stupid after you beat them? You for trying to make the car fast, or them because they doubted you. I wouldnt feel bad man, just stick around here and you will have a great car.

·
Registered
722 Posts
yeah because really the sentra/200sx is on the same level as the civic. ga16de on the level of the d16 and sr20de on the same level as the b16. with basic bolt on we can kick a hondas ass and now that hot shot has its turbo for us we could really kick some honda ass. but the new sentra ser spec v would probally give us some import credibility since its a better perfomer and looks better than the new si. what gets me is how people see the civic as a cheap import with incredible potential but the sentra as a groccery getter. expecially when modded out our cars are superior to the civic since our engine responds better to bolt on than hondas and we have a turboed engine to swap in our cars while the best they have is the h22a.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
superfro86, yeah I agree with you, we got the det. And I always wondered, why did civics become ricers dream, and not nissan? Not that I want that to happen, but why were civics so damn appealing? The only reason I could think of they are cheap (?)

·
Registered
490 Posts
they are much much cheaper. Also, the looked better in the early 90's... imo it started with the crx....

I do think a civic makes a better car to add on to, simply because there is so much out there...

Also, our cars handle better... (minus the crx... assume I mean civic) and are more fun to drive

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
man there is no way the sr20 is on the same level as the b16. honda engines are built like shit. look in this month's SCC. the sr20 has forged crank and rods...there are guys with 400hp+ turbo sr20's on stock bottom ends. find a honda that can be built like that. i odnt see why people waste their time with hondas and all. yeah with a few bolt ons they might be faster. but when you start boosting or spraying..no contest..nissan always will come out on top. i odnt know how well the ga16 can be built bc no one has ever done it. but i hope to god u can get more than 162 hp out of it w/a turbo. although that is a HUGE gain over stock. lookin foward to seein mike young's stage 2 hotshot kit.

·
Registered
722 Posts
when i say on the same level i ment at least and going by stock out. really its like this, the honda engines are better stock, we can kick their ass with a few bolt ons because our engine responds better, know that we got a turbo kit we can kick ass boosted. the only disadvantage is that its like finding a needle in a hastack to get parts for our cars. SCC said that actually with the exception of brute stregnth the ga actually is better equipped for turbo than the sr20de. with the long stroke that spool up the turbos quicker and some more shit i can't remember

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
cool....

reading this thread enlightened me, thanks everybody, and for the sentra heirloom, the project just begins.............mine is also an heirloom, "race what your momma gave you..", as long as it's not a honda, then we argue.............

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
What I would do, is get a cheap Honda. Get a B18C1 engine (Integra GSR) and turbo that mofo. That would haul ass. But I am going to work on my Nissan since thats what I got.

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
cmon man..thats crazy..if ur gonna buy a cheap honda and do a swap... buy a classic se-r for like $700 and buy the f-max stage 3 kit..talk about haul ass...how do 11 second time slips sound. and if you build the motor...even more power. *steps down from soapbox* just my opnion.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
I dont like the looks of a classic, at all. I agree it would haul, but I couldnt get over the looks. And speed isnt everything to me, I need the looks. I cant race all the time, but I sure can look nice all the time.

·
Registered
722 Posts
you have a se right that means you have the sr20de right? so you should be able to do the same things you can to the classic and still have the updated looks of the b14

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Noooo, SE means ga16. SE-R is the sr20.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Katana200sx said:
i odnt know how well the ga16 can be built bc no one has ever done it. but i hope to god u can get more than 162 hp out of it w/a turbo. although that is a HUGE gain over stock. lookin foward to seein mike young's stage 2 hotshot kit.
more than 162hp? Chef is boosting 210 out of his 1.6 with his custom built turbo. I saw it this weekend. He has one sweet sentra.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Okay from what I know, the greddy exhaust is too big for our Naturally Aspirated GA's. I hear the best to go with is the 2" stromung cat back exhaust. Stillen is too pricey, go with a Hot Shot Cold Air Intake, they are the best bang for the buck with a plus 8 hp I believe. The stock 1/4 mile times for a 95 GXE are 17.3 and stock 0-60 are 9.6 seconds. For the GLE its 18.1 and 11 seconds. This is according to car stats.com I personally think its bull, maybe they are for an automatic. Check out www.sentra.net for more info on your car, and www.sportcompactcarweb.com for info on the project 200sx that they did.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would definately mod up that GXE... just to show the Hunduh people what a race import really is. A friend of mine was always raggin on my 200SX. She stopped after a couple races. She was with me when my 1.6L put down a 2L Sh*tvic and and Eclipse(dont know which engine, slow though). She talks trash once in a while, but she finally shutup. Oddly enough she still wants a Civic. Just wait till I get to put some real mods into my car... I would rather have a Nissan any day of the week... My best friend's girl has a 2002 Sentra GXE, and I drove it yesterday. Personally I think it is begging for some TLC and bolt-ons.. GO FOR IT! Good luck!

·
SIMPLICITY is the KEY
315 Posts
1997 GA16DE said:

more than 162hp? Chef is boosting 210 out of his 1.6 with his custom built turbo. I saw it this weekend. He has one sweet sentra.
I saw a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust too:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts