Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the weather has been better i've been driving with the windows wide open, and i keep hearing this dingalinging sound, and i cant pin-point what it is. Has anyone else heard this? It does get lower and slower when i drive slow, but i do not know...

Please help..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should make a sound clip or something. It's hard to describe, it sounds like clicking and hitting some metal, the thing is i cant isolate it to one side. It seems to be coming from both sides. Can it be something in suspension or steering? Cause I live in the pothole haven, NYC.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Check out those heatshield/skid plate looking things on your exhaust, mine rattled a bit for a while, then I tightened down the bolds, good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Def not the exahust, I just recently took off the piping to polish it a bit from this winter. And it doesn't happen at times a rattling exhaust would, like in drive but standing still. It happens when im driving already.. and the faster i go the more sound it makes, but not louder...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brake pad's may be getting low. When you press on the brakes does it go away?

Mabey wheel bearing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pads are low, actually... but wouldn't that only make a lot of noise when i break rather than coasting and hitting bumps? cause I dont hear any sounds when i do break.. and i do recall hearing that same sound when my older cars` wheel bearings needed a change, the thing is the wheel bearing was more, ummm, extreme than this sound...

How would i isolate it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The metal plates on the back of the brake pad have tabs that hit your rotor when the pads get low. Letting you know it's time to change them. When you press your brakes and the pad make contact the sound goes away.

Try having a friend drive next to with a passenger to listen for the sound.
Try pulling the wheel off and truning the rotor by hand.
Mabye that will help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Detonation getting louder when i hit bumps? heheh :p

I poped off my wheel and the pads are okay, they got about half way, but i might swap'em anyway. The cv boots seems fine aswell.. but im going to try and get a sound clip for u guys atleast by tonite...

·
a constipated monkey
143 Posts
i had this problem once before. Check on the bottom side of the transverse link where the stabilizer bar end bolt is. I don't remember if its the stabilizer end bolt itself, or the bolt for the compression rod clamp, but i would defenitely look there. Chances are that one of the two bolts might need to be tightened. If its a little loose than the metal washer at the bottom will bang around up and down the bolt, making a sleigh bell like sound.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had this problem. It ended up being that the vibration ring on the passenger side half-shaft came loose. It is a steel ring with rubber cast between the ring and the shaft, in the center of the half-shaft. Mine had deteriorated the rubber and then the ring was just spinning and making noise. Was hard to find becuase it would come and go. Just a idea of one more thing to check.
Let us know what it turns out to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts