Nissan Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was surprised there wasn't a digital spedo, but its got more than big enough analog. The only problem for me is the speeds that we spend most our time going, are partially shielded by the outer ring.. Why do we need 3 different displays of the outside of the vehicle? What does the chassis control screen even do? 2019 Rogue S

·
Registered
5 Posts
In all seriousness, why on earth is the analog speedometer not giving you the information you need related to your speed? Is there something a digital speedometer tells you that this analog clock won't?

View attachment 6200
That's not the point. Of course an analog speedometer provides speed information. It's a preference to have a digital reading of the speed. You may prefer to make payments by writing checks in the checkout line, but that doesn't make it the preferred payment method of everyone. Nissan messed this one up.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
If you're spending all your time at 25mph and need to know that it isn't 24 or 26, then I guess Nissan messed up. Personally I think that's ridiculous, but you're right, different strokes.

Vis adding a digital speedo, a man with one watch knows what time (or speed) it is, a man with two watches is never sure. Leafs have both a digital and analog display and I can tell you from experience that they usually read different by 1 mph or so. So if you need to know that 25 isn't 26, you're [email protected]%# out of luck. IMHO also ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Um, no. It's a preference to check your speed via a digital gauge regardless of your speed. It has absolutely nothing to do with verifying that you are within +/- 1 MPH of your target speed.
Then I'll admit I simply don't get the complaint. In your pic, the only things occluded by the parallax angle are the short stripes on the low speed side of the speedo. If your brain prefers digital, that's different, but most people don't (ask any speed shop how many digital tachometers they sell). Your brain processes numbers and text in a completely different fashion from the "instant estimate" given by a needle sweep. It takes longer, and consequently takes your eyes off the road longer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Then I'll admit I simply don't get the complaint. In your pic, the only things occluded by the parallax angle are the short stripes on the low speed side of the speedo. If your brain prefers digital, that's different, but most people don't (ask any speed shop how many digital tachometers they sell). Your brain processes numbers and text in a completely different fashion from the "instant estimate" given by a needle sweep. It takes longer, and consequently takes your eyes off the road longer.
I didn't attach a pic. I only quoted another poster. And how would querying random speed shops correlate with those who are purchasing an everyday car like a Nissan Rogue Sport? It doesn't.

Again, it's a preference. No one is trying to tell you that your preference for classic analog gauges is "wrong". You don't get the complaint, which is OK. It's like trying to convince your parents that there may be other broadband choices than AOL dial up service. They just don't get why anyone would want something else.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
No one is trying to tell you that your preference for classic analog gauges is "wrong". You don't get the complaint, which is OK. It's like trying to convince your parents that there may be other broadband choices than AOL dial up service. They just don't get why anyone would want something else.
It's not that I prefer it, it's that virtually everyone does. Some years back Pontiac and some others tried digital tachos and the public reaction was dismal. People said, "Oh, how cool," and then discovered they weren't cool at all in actual use. So yes, it's a preference, but you're in a very, very small minority. From that standpoint, I don't think you can rightly say that Nissan "messed up". Nissan is simply providing what the overwhelming majority of motorists want.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
"Virtually everyone" - LOL. Agree to disagree.
The catastrophic unpopularity of "digital only" speedos during the VFD craze of the early 90's is documented fact, not opinion. This from motorbiscuit:

Not to be outdone by this high-tech fiction, actual car models out in 1993 and 1994 often came with a new kind of digital dashboard using a counter MPH readout rather than a speedometer needle. Many of them featured “arcade-style” visuals (see this wacky collection from Dark Roasted Blend) and a look that perfectly captures the thrill of that decade’s nascent ‘digital revolution’.

However, those cutting-edge designs didn’t last. Various references to those old days of exploratory car technologies have characterized the digital speedometer as “unpopular,” as emphasized by a Hemmings reader regarding the 1984 Corvette: “The idiotic digital gauge package was widely reviled by consumers and pundits alike. In bright daylight they were all but impossible to read anyway…(they) didn’t convey the necessary data to the driver as well a set of conventional gauges.”

It might not seem like that big a deal – until you sit back and think about it. What’s more natural than watching that needle edge up as you stomp on the gas? And does a series of shifting digital numbers really give you a sense of how you’re speeding up and slowing down? Another criticism of the digital speedometer was that they just didn’t provide the same “sense” of acceleration and braking.

I'll just add that all the best new digital gauge packs from BMW, Audi, Tesla, etc, all have "faux analog" circular bargraphs accompanying the numeric display, and there's a reason for that. I do believe you can make a good argument for having both, but you won't get that on a Rogue budget. Faced with a choice between one or the other, the public prefers analog. That's marketing fact, not fiction, and Nissan still isn't "messing up" in any way by respecting that preference.

·
Registered
72 Posts
That's not the point. Of course an analog speedometer provides speed information. It's a preference to have a digital reading of the speed. You may prefer to make payments by writing checks in the checkout line, but that doesn't make it the preferred payment method of everyone. Nissan messed this one up.
LOL - I haven’t written a check since 1998 & in all my life I’ve never once met someone with your strange preference. Buy a Toyota?

·
Registered
5 Posts
LOL - I haven’t written a check since 1998
I doubt this is true.

& in all my life I’ve never once met someone with your strange preference.
LOL - like the half dozen or so who chimed in on this thread before me with the same preference?

Buy a Toyota?
Aww - how cute. At least your wife will think you are witty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I doubt this is true.

LOL - like the half dozen or so who chimed in on this thread before me with the same preference?

Aww - how cute. At least your wife will think you are witty.
If you count out escrow checks for buying houses, honest to god, haven’t written a check to anyone in all that time. My mother has, just not me.

Exactly, I’ve been driving for almost 40 years, VWs, Audi’s& Volvos, more recently Nissans. It’s never come up. I guess I just don’t understand the purpose, not trying to hate on you bunch.

In all seriousness, car makers put features on cars that their customers ask for. Maybe another brand of car has this feature. Being completely sincere, it’s not that Nissan Rogues are broken, they sell nearly 500k per year, it might just no be a fit for you. Let me know what car you find that has this feature, I’d be interested in the outcome. One thing to note, my window sticker says, gauge package analog, maybe Nissan sells different gauge setups in different markets worldwide?

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure why you care so much what we prefer, but I don’t care for the steering wheel in the way of my speedometer I like it in the middle of my dash. It also makes it easier with my glasses. Take it or leave it that’s my reason. They just delivered this car today and I’m ready to send it back. I was also led to believe that it had a digital speedometer. I didn’t make them prove it because why would I ever think that in 2022 there wouldn’t be? I guess another reason to stick with American right? This is my first car that isn’t.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts