Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
4/87... But I think that was only for the Turbo models.

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
4/87... But I think that was only for the Turbo models.
the LSD? or the turbos were the first to get them? i could always jsut go do a burn-out and see if i lay down 2 tread marks

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
cool thanks eric now when i get money i can put that on.....i'm noticing a problem with trying to restore a car with no money.......eh oh well when i get money i'll save part and spend the rest on my baby

edit: and dad jsut shot down the LSD install...are there any performance and handling advantages with the LSD compared to the open diff?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
cool thanks eric now when i get money i can put that on.....i'm noticing a problem with trying to restore a car with no money.......eh oh well when i get money i'll save part and spend the rest on my baby

edit: and dad jsut shot down the LSD install...are there any performance and handling advantages with the LSD compared to the open diff?
Many many times better than an open diff. For starters, it's safer to drive in the rain or snow, since you won't lose traction suddenly just because one wheel starts spinning. Both tires will wear more evenly. It's almost impossible to spin the wheels with an LSD, ask AsleepZ. Though I dunno what tires he has, or really how much power he is making. It makes the car more stable for turning, the regular open diff makes the car very unstable if you put on any power in a corner. I'll put it like this, Open Diff = 1WD. It's like driving 2 motorcycles lashed together and applying power to only one.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Many many times better than an open diff. For starters, it's safer to drive in the rain or snow, since you won't lose traction suddenly just because one wheel starts spinning. Both tires will wear more evenly. It's almost impossible to spin the wheels with an LSD, ask AsleepZ. Though I dunno what tires he has, or really how much power he is making. It makes the car more stable for turning, the regular open diff makes the car very unstable if you put on any power in a corner. I'll put it like this, Open Diff = 1WD. It's like driving 2 motorcycles lashed together and applying power to only one.
yeah thats what i thought, he wants a completly stock restore :lame: , i want a complete restore with minimal performance enhancing mods, so i'm putting the LSD on once the car is fully mine, but until then, i'll be driving safe, lol, he came home last night to the plenum cover sitting in the sink, he flipped out, but then i showed him how much cleaner it was and he calmed down, lol

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
SanMarcosZfreak said:
yeah thats what i thought, he wants a completly stock restore :lame: , i want a complete restore with minimal performance enhancing mods, so i'm putting the LSD on once the car is fully mine, but until then, i'll be driving safe, lol, he came home last night to the plenum cover sitting in the sink, he flipped out, but then i showed him how much cleaner it was and he calmed down, lol
Those cars did come stock with an LSD, it was just the turbo models. ;) I'd say an LSD was a necessary evil.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Those cars did come stock with an LSD, it was just the turbo models. ;) I'd say an LSD was a necessary evil.
LMAO exactly, its stock jsut not for my car. thanks for helping me out eric

edit: when i get another car, prolly a truck (bout 4-5 years from now), the Z will no longer be driven that much, gonna turn it into a show car, gonna rip everything out (the engine area) get it cleaned, polished, etc. get the underbody cleaned repainted, etc. total show car

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I need to learn how to do 360s now...... Since I got a LSD

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
I need to learn how to do 360s now...... Since I got a LSD
It is easier with an open differential. But trust me you can spin the tires pretty good with an LSD out back. Heck I'm worried that I am going to need wider tires then 275s out back with the LSD. Traction will still be an issue.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
From what I heard from "Drift Bible" you have a to have a LSD to do tight 360s. I mean go sideways around a circle... I've been thinking of going with a slightly wider tire in the back..

I can only run 225/50/R16's up front (they already rub)

What could I run in the back that's a bit wider.

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
From what I heard from "Drift Bible" you have a to have a LSD to do tight 360s. I mean go sideways around a circle... I've been thinking of going with a slightly wider tire in the back..

I can only run 225/50/R16's up front (they already rub)

What could I run in the back that's a bit wider.
I'm running 275s out back and 245s out front. But I also have different wheels and different sidewall ratings.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
WHOA!!!!! Dead wrong on everything above. For the following, think as if the diff was welded solid.
- Open diffs actually make it safer. Because as you turn on slick surfaces, you're less likely to spin the rear end around.
- Both tires will wear more evenly? Nope. Tire wear is dependant on alignment, not which tire is driving the car. If you were constantly turning left, a locked diff would cause one tire to wear more than the other since the distance travelled would be different. With a locked diff, unless you are driving perfectly straight, one tire will always be grabbing for more traction.
- Impossible to spin the wheels with an LSD? Huh? Not unless something is screwed up. It's no easier and no harder vs an open diff. A car with enough power to light up both tires with an open diff will have no problems lighting up an LSD.
- More stable for turning? Nope. The opposite actually. Slam the gas on a car that has an open diff and the inside tire is likely to light up and start spinning. But the outside tire will be getting less power now and still has it's traction. Because it still has traction, the tire will remain going in the direction of the tread. With a locked diff, slam the gas and both tires will spin. Since they both lost traction, there is nothing keeping them from going in the direction of the tread. Actually, they keep going in the direction there were pointed. But since the front of the car is now not in line with them, they're going to go to the outside of the corner.
- Open Diff = 1WD. Nothing could be further from the truth. Both wheels still drive the car.

Disadvantages of open diffs: When one wheel looses traction completely, the amount of torque applied to that wheel greatly increases. But virtually none gets applied to the wheel with traction. Which means you're going nowhere fast. When you get stuck with an open diff, it isn't because your car is 1 wheel drive. It's because one tire has too much traction and there is not enough torque applied to the tire with traction to move the car.

Advantages of Locked diffs: Both wheels ALWAYS have the same amount of torque.

When is this useful? When driving in a straight line or you are stuck. Drag racing, offroading, drifting, etc.

More:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Unless I spray the tires with soap and make it easier for her. My car will not do it. Yeah I could try taking it up to 6K and dropping it but I'm pretty sure either my universal joints would shatter or it would take off just locking up the front tires and pushing it. I've got Bridgestone Fuzions 225/50/R16s and they got pretty damn good grip. And I'll be damned if I've ever got more than 2 revolutions trying to light them up on dry pavement of all types

Asphault, Concrete , (Gravel;) Well that's no problem)

Now it may seem I'm complaining but I'm not. I never get more than a chirp taking off. But she'll churp them on up into 3rd gear;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have VLSD and 245s, I have no problems spinning the tires. That's with only 200 wheel hp. Yoko ES100s, Kumho V700 or Hoosier race tires, doesn't matter.

In very tight corners (like autoX tight) an LSD will cause a push, but I'll typically steer with the throttle at that point if need be.

Another local autoXer has an 84 NA 2+2 w/ a turbo LSD in it. He has no problems spinning the rear tires either. He's at about 170 wheel hp.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts