Nissan Forum banner

Differential clunking

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  nissanmadness 
#1 ·
Been going on for about 50,000 miles but is now doing it consistently.

Driving on intertate at 70-80 and truck goes fine but..

as i drive up inclines all is good but as i get to the top of incline i get a jab from the back end and a studder as the differential adjust. Then as the incline goes back down hill it does it again.

Like i said it's done this every once and a while for years now but now it's doing it at every overpass. Going straight or up hill is fine it's just as the truck evens out from going up hill and then again when it starts to head downhill.

I added some red line slip additive a few years ago and only noticed the problem a few times so i thought it was fixed but had it (the stutter) happen alot the last two trips and added some slip modifyer last week but it didn't help.

Feels like a tug going through the drivetrain. New carrier bearing and u joints. Tranny fluid looks pink and full. 99 frontier v6 auto.

See less See more
#2 ·
Been going on for about 50,000 miles but is now doing it consistently.

Driving on intertate at 70-80 and truck goes fine but..

as i drive up inclines all is good but as i get to the top of incline i get a jab from the back end and a studder as the differential adjust. Then as the incline goes back down hill it does it again.

Like i said it's done this every once and a while for years now but now it's doing it at every overpass. Going straight or up hill is fine it's just as the truck evens out from going up hill and then again when it starts to head downhill.

I added some red line slip additive a few years ago and only noticed the problem a few times so i thought it was fixed but had it (the stutter) happen alot the last two trips and added some slip modifyer last week but it didn't help.

Feels like a tug going through the drivetrain. New carrier bearing and u joints. Tranny fluid looks pink and full. 99 frontier v6 auto.

thanks:mad:[/QUOTE Does the diff oil have a silver tint to it or is the oil clean? Check your U joint phase, on 2 piece drivelines they can sometimes be out of time, if not put together correctly. Check your leaf spring eyes, hangers and bolts, check the u bolts that hold the leaf springs to the axle tube, also check the center bolt that goes through the leaf springs. Check the axle bearings. Lotsa luck.

#3 ·
Thanks,

Drove the truck 600 miles this weekend and noticed something odd.

:confused: The problem only starts after about 100 miles of driving. That is the same hills and inclines, and overpass areas that i had the stutter when driving on friday night after the car had a few hundred miles on it didn't have any problem this afternoon as the car was taking off cold and the overpasses that i had no problem with near my house on the way home had the stutter where they didn't friday afternoon when i drove off from my house.

Looked under the car and it looked like the u-joints (23,000) miles on them had slung a little grease on the underside. One more than the other two. Don't know if this was just an over greasing situation or not but it's a clue. Can't imagine why it takes 100 or more miles of driving for problem to occur.

Gonna take to my mechanic and in addition to the reccomendations i'm gonna have him recheck the u-joints as they may be some made in Hong kong cheepies giving up the ghost.

thanks again.

#4 ·
Many times the price of cheap parts comes back to haunt you, and does create ghosts as you say. I've found out it's cheaper to pay for the premium parts once, than pay for the cheap parts twice. There are alot of cheap imported parts coming into the US markets. Many of those manufacturers can make the correct dimensions, but cut corners on the material, or process (heat treating, etc...). The illusion of saving a few bucks is just that, an illusion. The old adage, "you get what you pay for", has never been truer. Lotsa luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.