Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know the DET has a turbo and the DE does not but what else sets these two engines apart? Are they basically the same engine with a turbo added? Would a SR20DET blacktop run OK with the turbo removed?

·
Registered
33 Posts
there is probably like 1000 threads on this already... i dont know, im a newb too but im sure u can search and find a PLETHORA of info on this.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baby_Jesus said:
there is probably like 1000 threads on this already... i dont know, im a newb too but im sure u can search and find a PLETHORA of info on this.
I searched and came up with a few things. I still don't know:
Are they the same exact block?
Same internals?
Same HP if turbo is removed from DET?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
OldBrit said:
Yes, I know the DET has a turbo and the DE does not but what else sets these two engines apart? Are they basically the same engine with a turbo added? Would a SR20DET blacktop run OK with the turbo removed?
The diffences are:

Pistons (DE 9.5:1 - DET 8.5:1)
Valves (DE Normal - DET Sodium-Filled)
Lubrication system (DET has piston oil squirters)
DET - block is drilled for turbo oil return and some have oil cooler fittings
Dimensionally the blocks are the same
DET does not have the US emissions parts

Lew

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lshadoff said:
The diffences are:

Pistons (DE 9.5:1 - DET 8.5:1)
Valves (DE Normal - DET Sodium-Filled)
Lubrication system (DET has piston oil squirters)
DET - block is drilled for turbo oil return and some have oil cooler fittings
Dimensionally the blocks are the same
DET does not have the US emissions parts

Lew
Thanks Lew

·
Registered
1 Posts
sr20 vs sr20det

i'm looking at buying an s13 silva, and am trying to find out if i should get the Q's or K's. Pretty much the car is gonna have alota money spent on it, and am wondering am i wasting my money buying the K, when i'm gonna replace allota the engine, suspension, and brake parts anyway. Any opinions?

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
DET comes with oil squirters? I thought only the bluebird det came with those. Anyway, I would prefer not to have oil squirters, I've heard some interesting things about oil squirters and engines.

I was told that oil squirter equipped engine, has a great chance of "Crank Walking" such as the DSM 4G63 and 420A. This is what I have been told, not what I know from expirence, if anyone else knows different please fill me in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well my blacktop s13 has the oil squirters, as for crankwalk, ive heard thats mostly a dsm thing not too much about nissan, but i see no reason for it to be caused by the squirters

·
Pivot 180
2,258 Posts
DET also has the individual coilpacks. SR crank is very good and can support very high power figures with just balancing

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
matt_pound said:
well my blacktop s13 has the oil squirters, as for crankwalk, ive heard thats mostly a dsm thing not too much about nissan, but i see no reason for it to be caused by the squirters

I was told this by a machine shop. Crank walk is more likely in a car equipped with oil squirters. That's only if the oil squirters are clogged. Whenever the clutch is depressed, the car idles down. When this happens the oilsquirters shoot oil downward, thus cooling the piston and keeping an adequate amount of oil pressure for the turbo and engine. However, If the squirters are clogged, no oil is shot, and the oil pressure drops drasatically. So as the clutch is released, to go back into gear, the oil pressure rises again. This is where its the most prone to walking; There isn't enough oil pressure for everything to go at once, so something has to take a beating. The thrust bearing for the crank. It gets pushed, and pushed and eventually wears away. If there's no thrust bearing, we have crank walk.

Again this is what that was told to me, so I'm not sure. But if I were to get a turbo engine with the squirters, I would have them replaced for a safe state of mind. I've never heard of Nissan motors "Crank Walking" but it's still a possibility.

Now My question is, do all SR20DET's come with squirters, or just the GTI-R AWD come with those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just wondering, I have seen a lot of people converting their DE into DET, but has anyone ever done the opposite (DET into DE)?

I know, you are asking "WHAT DA HELL, WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO DO SOMETHING STUPID AND CRAZY LIKE THAT?"
well, its because i love the throttle response and high revs of NA cars. I drive a wrx as my daily and that cures my boost crave, so all i'm missing is a race bred NA motor. I picked up a DET setup for free because it was in a really bad shape, cams melted to head block, pistons are scortched, stock sleeves are scratched, etc., because the oil filter cracked and fell off so the guy drove around with no oil in the engine.

here are my plans, eagle forged rods, JE high compression pistons (11:1), darton sleeves (big bore if i can find bigger pistons), stock DET crank, stock DET block, new DET head block with HKS stage 2 cams, custom made individual throttle body, oil cooler since the DET block is tapped with oil return line, dual valve springs, and maybe a valve job but port and polish for sure. i know i didn't include the arp studs, etc. because that is a given. this is going to take me a long arse time to do because i'm not rich like many of you but i will keep photos and what not.

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
The only N/A sr20 engine I would drive by nissan would be the VVL system. Anything else, I would turbo.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mnkypsycho:
I don't know if converting a SR20DET to a SR20DE is nuts but I am thinking about it. Why? Because I want to drop one in a 1969 MGB and:
1. I will need to relocate the turbo and that will be a royal be-atch.
2. The weight of the turbo will actually make a difference in the handling.
3. The car does not need a turbo. It will just spin the tires off.
I purchased a nice blacktop engine set so I already have the motor. I am going to start by just getting the engine in and see how it goes from there. If I think I can get the turbo in with out too much work, I might go for it. If not I will go with out it.
picture of the project so far:
http://members.aol.com/goneboy/motor.jpg
picture the car:
http://members.aol.com/goneguy/MGB.jpg

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
OldBrit said:
mnkypsycho:
I don't know if converting a SR20DET to a SR20DE is nuts but I am thinking about it. Why? Because I want to drop one in a 1969 MGB and:
1. I will need to relocate the turbo and that will be a royal be-atch.
2. The weight of the turbo will actually make a difference in the handling.
3. The car does not need a turbo. It will just spin the tires off.
I purchased a nice blacktop engine set so I already have the motor. I am going to start by just getting the engine in and see how it goes from there. If I think I can get the turbo in with out too much work, I might go for it. If not I will go with out it.
picture of the project so far:
http://members.aol.com/goneboy/motor.jpg
picture the car:
http://members.aol.com/goneguy/MGB.jpg

Instead of wasting time, and even more money converting back to na from turbo, why not just buy the n/a engine? They're already alot cheaper than the turbo engines. There's a s13 sr20de front clip on ebay for 1200.00 I only paid 546.00 for my sr20de with trans and harness.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zellx2004 said:
Instead of wasting time, and even more money converting back to na from turbo, why not just buy the n/a engine? They're already alot cheaper than the turbo engines. There's a s13 sr20de front clip on ebay for 1200.00 I only paid 546.00 for my sr20de with trans and harness.
Yep. I know about the n/a engines but as I stated I all ready have the SR20DET engine set. I tried selling it about a month ago but only got low offers so I am just going to keep it and work with what I have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
zellx2004 said:
i'm not really wasting money because i got it for free, i will only be wasting time by not getting a NA ready to run. however, i would like to rebuild the turbo block for an ultimate NA by going darton 87mm sleeves with wiseco 87mm pistons unless i can find bigger bore pistons and i can take the sleeves bigger too to increase displacement without stroking.

where did you get your NA set BTW? thats a good price... help a fellow member out??

·
Nismophiliac
1,517 Posts
OK. Tell me if you want to sell any of the turbo components. I would like to buy htem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts