Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Call me a noob or whatever...I DO admit that I am a noob when it comes to cars, but I really wanna get this question answered....OKAY

I currently drive a 1995 nissan 200sx 1.6L. manual transmission... I heard the Gear oil for this puppy is supposed to be GL-4. So I searched my local car shops: Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys, AND YES, EVEN WALMART... and all I see is the GL5. Will putting GL5 gear oil ruin my tranny? I've heard a little bit of both sides and I wanted to hear what the majority of people wanted to say about this. So I bought this cool looking Valvoline Synthetic gear oil 80w-90. The thing is I want to change my gear oil, and I AM DESPERATE, but NOT desperate enough to change it, then ruin my tranny. SO I searched online for Gear oils; and According to this fabulous forum, REDLINE SYNTHETICS is the best. Unfortunately, I'm stuck once again...On my way to purchase this new-crazed gear oil, I see that there is a REDLINE OIL MTL and a REDLINE GEAR OIL...OKAY SO WTF...The website is http://www.upracing.com/index.php?page=shop/normal&category_id=8d8f0374db30c37e1b77d088f2a9264f&ps_session=61525176de9c39bcc4692dd46fe71cc7 As you can see, there are two redline oils...A redline MTL and REDLINE GEAR OILS...This is where I'm stuck because I dont want to but one, and get screwed over...SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??? Yes, Im a noob to the nissan automotive BUT i'm willing to learn...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cgamboa said:
Okay, Call me a noob or whatever...I DO admit that I am a noob when it comes to cars, but I really wanna get this question answered....OKAY

I currently drive a 1995 nissan 200sx 1.6L. manual transmission... I heard the Gear oil for this puppy is supposed to be GL-4. So I searched my local car shops: Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys, AND YES, EVEN WALMART... and all I see is the GL5. Will putting GL5 gear oil ruin my tranny? I've heard a little bit of both sides and I wanted to hear what the majority of people wanted to say about this. So I bought this cool looking Valvoline Synthetic gear oil 80w-90. The thing is I want to change my gear oil, and I AM DESPERATE, but NOT desperate enough to change it, then ruin my tranny. SO I searched online for Gear oils; and According to this fabulous forum, REDLINE SYNTHETICS is the best. Unfortunately, I'm stuck once again...On my way to purchase this new-crazed gear oil, I see that there is a REDLINE OIL MTL and a REDLINE GEAR OIL...OKAY SO WTF...The website is http://www.upracing.com/index.php?page=shop/normal&category_id=8d8f0374db30c37e1b77d088f2a9264f&ps_session=61525176de9c39bcc4692dd46fe71cc7 As you can see, there are two redline oils...A redline MTL and REDLINE GEAR OILS...This is where I'm stuck because I dont want to but one, and get screwed over...SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??? Yes, Im a noob to the nissan automotive BUT i'm willing to learn...

Check out this website. http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/engine.php#Synthetic Oils and Lubricants

They mention Redline oil and that should clear up your question...

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
cgamboa, a search can answer your questions very quickly. These topics have been talked about numerous times and in depth. Please search and ask again when you have more detailed questions, until then I'm going to close this thread. Thank you.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.