Nissan Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Call me a noob or whatever...I DO admit that I am a noob when it comes to cars, but I really wanna get this question answered....OKAY

I currently drive a 1995 nissan 200sx 1.6L. manual transmission... I heard the Gear oil for this puppy is supposed to be GL-4. So I searched my local car shops: Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys, AND YES, EVEN WALMART... and all I see is the GL5. Will putting GL5 gear oil ruin my tranny? I've heard a little bit of both sides and I wanted to hear what the majority of people wanted to say about this. So I bought this cool looking Valvoline Synthetic gear oil 80w-90. The thing is I want to change my gear oil, and I AM DESPERATE, but NOT desperate enough to change it, then ruin my tranny. SO I searched online for Gear oils; and According to this fabulous forum, REDLINE SYNTHETICS is the best. Unfortunately, I'm stuck once again...On my way to purchase this new-crazed gear oil, I see that there is a REDLINE OIL MTL and a REDLINE GEAR OIL...OKAY SO WTF...The website is http://www.upracing.com/index.php?p...f&ps_session=61525176de9c39bcc4692dd46fe71cc7 As you can see, there are two redline oils...A redline MTL and REDLINE GEAR OILS...This is where I'm stuck because I dont want to but one, and get screwed over...SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??? Yes, Im a noob to the nissan automotive BUT i'm willing to learn...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cgamboa said:
Okay, Call me a noob or whatever...I DO admit that I am a noob when it comes to cars, but I really wanna get this question answered....OKAY

I currently drive a 1995 nissan 200sx 1.6L. manual transmission... I heard the Gear oil for this puppy is supposed to be GL-4. So I searched my local car shops: Autozone, Kragen, Pepboys, AND YES, EVEN WALMART... and all I see is the GL5. Will putting GL5 gear oil ruin my tranny? I've heard a little bit of both sides and I wanted to hear what the majority of people wanted to say about this. So I bought this cool looking Valvoline Synthetic gear oil 80w-90. The thing is I want to change my gear oil, and I AM DESPERATE, but NOT desperate enough to change it, then ruin my tranny. SO I searched online for Gear oils; and According to this fabulous forum, REDLINE SYNTHETICS is the best. Unfortunately, I'm stuck once again...On my way to purchase this new-crazed gear oil, I see that there is a REDLINE OIL MTL and a REDLINE GEAR OIL...OKAY SO WTF...The website is http://www.upracing.com/index.php?p...f&ps_session=61525176de9c39bcc4692dd46fe71cc7 As you can see, there are two redline oils...A redline MTL and REDLINE GEAR OILS...This is where I'm stuck because I dont want to but one, and get screwed over...SO CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME??? Yes, Im a noob to the nissan automotive BUT i'm willing to learn...

Check out this website. http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/engine.php#Synthetic Oils and Lubricants

They mention Redline oil and that should clear up your question...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.