Nissan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i was wondering if there's any realy good tips for losing weight on the b-14. I'm realy curious about the rear sus. It' seems like there's alot of weight to be lost. Does anyone of any realy good setups? Does sus. from any other car bolt up? I know this is a long shot but i figured it was worth it.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
There isnt much to loose on the rear suspension on a b14. Now as for wieght reduction, there are a few things you could get rid of. That is depending on how far you are willing to do.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
as far as weight is concerned
to me its not worth the effort when I started upgrading my car there was a two month period where the only thing inside was the dash and driver seat everything was taken out including the carpet and other thing as the battery was moved to the trunk and spare tyre assembly removed and I was running on some really light weight 15" OZ chrono wheels from my old car.
as for performance I noticed nothing and even went to a drag strip and made little difference averaging around what I normal ran w/ stock interior. I did a autocross and the car seemed more nimble but it still wasnt anything great

now with my engine mods and with more weight from the heavier brakes, wheels, bodykit and a small sound system I actually run faster and handles much better due to inpart of the suspension upgrades then when it was stock am sure with the mods and a stripped car there would be more noticable gains but its not worth the noise and uncomfort of having a stripped car even more so if its a daily driver

changing suspensions setups will not cause a lose in weight there is a several topics in the suspension part of the forums about the b14

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm more wondering if anyone's fabbed tubular suspension istead of the big cast pieces. The Pit man arm looks like it weighs at least 100 pounds. Does anyone already make this stuff?

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
ssvpv8 said:
I'm more wondering if anyone's fabbed tubular suspension istead of the big cast pieces. The Pit man arm looks like it weighs at least 100 pounds. Does anyone already make this stuff?
No they don't. Be cool to see someone try it, however in the name of weight reduction it is a very involved process. There is a lot of other weight that is easier to remove than re-design the rear suspension. Probably best to tell us what direction you are heading with your car and we might be able to tell you about things that can save weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, I'm going to wyo-tech in a half a year so i don't want to get into anything to big. I beat the hell out of this car thoughe and basically want to get a performance clutch, flywheel and a thick rear sway bar, maybe coilovers. I don't want to spend anymore on the drivline because hopefully after wyo-tech i'll get a good enoughe job for an sr20det swap(i have a 1.6 right now). I am willing to strip most anything, I don't like the car all that much, it's just a realy good daily driver.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The first thing most people are going to suggest is bail on the AC. Besides the compressor weighing so much the bracket that holds it is reported to be very heavy. Not to mention loss of parasitic drain on the pulley. Otherwise, for interior it may as well be all or nothing. There is nothing in particular on the interior that will be worth anything by itself. Otherwise relocate the battery for better distribution or CF/FG hood but those are expensive for saving 30 lbs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, i'll try the low carb thing, Thanks for the tips, My clutch is going so i'll ditch the a.c. when i pull the engine out, iwas wondering thoughe, Do we share suspension with the g-20? Or any other parts that might be worth watching for, like the kooler bumper? Thanks Dan,

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you take out the swiveling brackets in the middle and sides of the rear seats youll have removable and replaceable seats they pop back in on the top where the pin is to realease the back seats to fold them down and the bottom of the rear seats pop out as well you can also remove the rear seat belts theres no law
on those unless u have a baby seat dont waste your time removing the roof it ways nothing and thers not much material to remove up there also under the steering collumn theres a bar thingy "knee protector" take it to a scrap matal place and get 50c buy yourself some gum and call it a day
i personally noticed a difference wit the back seats out not much but a lil quicker but alot noisier and the rear speakers suck without the "box" effect the rear seats give if you look hard youll find a few things here and there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts