Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
U13 BB Owner
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay i had a problem with the car running around 3000rpm, it would sputter almost, i floor the gas it picks back up. So i went out got new NGK iradiums and stok spark plug wires, fuel filter and O2 sensor. I replace the rotor and cap about 6 months ago. So i start the car up and it runs fine for a few hours and now while im idleing it sputters like its going to shut off but it doesnt. When i turn on the ac it sputters more but yet i can gas it and it seems like its running fine. A while back when i put headers on my egr system mesed up...the computer says the egr is not working correctly, but that should mke a difference right? Any help with this, im lost.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is it happening when the car is cold or hot? I had somewhat the same problem about a year ago. There is a bellow inside the EGR that wasn't closing. Try taking off the tube (the top one) off the EGR valve and plug it with a screw. Wait until the car warms up and check for the sputtering. If it doesn't do it anymore, then nine times out of ten it's the EGR. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Oh yeah, that bellow I'm talking about only comes open between 2000 and about 3000 RPM. On my car anyway.

·
U13 BB Owner
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you saying cap off the top part? I was thinking of buying the 95 federal egr tube but i didnt think it was becuase of that. Also today when i started it up i didnt have the engine light on no more but still a lil sputter. So either the car cleared it or got tired of being on for a while. Im gonna do a diagnostic on the ecu see if it throws any codes.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Did you set the timing, tps, idle etc? Check maf voltages. Gap the plugs correctly? Clean the tb check for vacuum leaks? There are still many things you havent done.

·
U13 BB Owner
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nizzan4u2nv said:
Did you set the timing, tps, idle etc? Check maf voltages. Gap the plugs correctly? Clean the tb check for vacuum leaks? There are still many things you havent done.
Timing is at 15 degrees, tps was cleaned. The ngk iradiums come preset with there gap. Idle is at stock specs and no vacuum leaks. Its a 98 car with 82000 miles. Next?

·
U13 BB Owner
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wildmane said:
You might wanna check the gaps of the plugs.. just in case.
Yeah i think i might of overtightened cyclinder 3. When i get some time i will check it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
200sx98fl said:
Timing is at 15 degrees, tps was cleaned. The ngk iradiums come preset with there gap. Idle is at stock specs and no vacuum leaks. Its a 98 car with 82000 miles. Next?

You dont clean the tps, you have to check the voltage from closed to WOT to see if its in spec. You also should check maf reference voltage as well. Pull the codes and reset the ecu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts