Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '94 Sentra LE automatic 4 speed with OD and I needed to order a new governor gear. So I had my local dealer get the part for me, part # 31894-01x02. Now that I have it I am noticing the new gear is longer than the old gear. Will this work? Did they order the correct part? I'll ask the parts guy tomorrow but I'm hoping some of you guys can chime in tonight. I was hoping to get the car running tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I just realized this part the dealer obtained for me is for the 3 speed automatic, not my 4 speed. I'm taking the part back tomorrow. They better get me a refund.

Where do you guys obtain the correct part for such low prices as I have been reading about on this forum?

·
Registered
734 Posts
here is one place you can call: Welcome To Axiom Online

i've noticed they dont seem to last a long time like the oem gears do from Nissan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, but how do I order from this place? I tried contacting the local Transtar dealer in Portland OR and they tell me they only sell wholesale, that they can't sell to me the consumer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oldman (I feel like I'm addressing myself!) - I ordered through Seattle (Kent), Washington and Don Miller forwarded the order down to california. They will set you up with an account, no problem. Until the new part is recieved here is what I've done (and tested) all today: Once you've extracted the governer (no minor feat!) tap the pin from the shaft, removing the gear. Notice a lot of good gear left on the other end? Drill a small hole (slightly smaller than the pin) 5/16ths of an inch from the the BAD end through only half the gear. Flip the gear, sliding bad end on the governor shaft first, aligning the hole just drilled in the gear to the existing shaft hole for the pin. Complete the drill through the other side by using the previously drilled new hole in the gear and the govenor shaft as a guide (drilling from the same side previously drilled). insert the pin, locking the gear on the shaft. Dremel the good end using a cut off wheel to make continued gear splines at the same pitch and angle as the existing splines (be steady). Finish your good and tedious work with a half round file at the very end (don't rip into the exisiting machined nylon gear splines - we are only working the 'solid' end to get it past the high, unsplined surface). Flip the file, working the other side of the splines - doesn't have to be perfect because this surface won't drive the governor shaft BUT does align the splines to mate with the drive gear as you install the governor back into the tranny. Works great, but don't forget to plug the air mass sensor back in else the car stutters and spits (now, how would I know that?). Happy mods...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oldman (I feel like I'm addressing myself!)
lol

- I ordered through Seattle (Kent), Washington and Don Miller forwarded the order down to california. They will set you up with an account, no problem. Until the new part is recieved here is what I've done (and tested) all today: Once you've extracted the governer (no minor feat!) tap the pin from the shaft, removing the gear. Notice a lot of good gear left on the other end? Drill a small hole (slightly smaller than the pin) 5/16ths of an inch from the the BAD end through only half the gear. Flip the gear, sliding bad end on the governor shaft first, aligning the hole just drilled in the gear to the existing shaft hole for the pin. Complete the drill through the other side by using the previously drilled new hole in the gear and the govenor shaft as a guide (drilling from the same side previously drilled). insert the pin, locking the gear on the shaft. Dremel the good end using a cut off wheel to make continued gear splines at the same pitch and angle as the existing splines (be steady). Finish your good and tedious work with a half round file at the very end (don't rip into the exisiting machined nylon gear splines - we are only working the 'solid' end to get it past the high, unsplined surface). Flip the file, working the other side of the splines - doesn't have to be perfect because this surface won't drive the governor shaft BUT does align the splines to mate with the drive gear as you install the governor back into the tranny. Works great, but don't forget to plug the air mass sensor back in else the car stutters and spits (now, how would I know that?). Happy mods...
Ingenious, good work, thanks. I finally found someone who could order the part for me, I should see it in 3-4 more days. I plan to keep the old part and mod it like you say, just in case. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts