Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last 8 weeks (OR MORE) my car has had this swishy wind up sound when ever I start it, which stops once I give the car some gas. On weds while going down the highway I mis-shifted into 3rd from 5th gear, moments later I began to have this screeching sound everytime i hit the throttle. Later, down the highway I heard a big BOOM, 5th and 4th gear were no longer useable, and the car had this metallic swishing grinding sound as the car rolled, this sound occurs with or w/o throttle pressure. Does this sound like a blown tranny

How much should I expect to spend on having a used (or used certified rebuilt tranny) installed into my car. Should I go ahead an install a new clutch while everything is off?

The jerks at aamco will not allow me to source a used tranny for my car, instead they would like to charge me 59.95 for a diagnostic exam, $400 in labor to remove and installl ny tranny, and they refuse to tell me how much a tranny from one of their distributors will cost.

Who does quality economic transmission work on the south side of Atlanta?

Thanks for reading, please reply.

·
Registered
851 Posts
you can expect to pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a new tranny. my friend did endless neutral drops in his 90 civic and blew it, it cost him 900 and change. i guess you can use this info as a refernce

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RBI*04 said:
you can expect to pay upwards of a thousand dollars for a new tranny. my friend did endless neutral drops in his 90 civic and blew it, it cost him 900 and change. i guess you can use this info as a refernce
What is a neutral drop? Is it pulling the car out of gear into neutral before you stop, I do that everyday.

·
Registered
851 Posts
B13TTSE said:
What is a neutral drop? Is it pulling the car out of gear into neutral before you stop, I do that everyday.
with an automatic.....put the car in nuetral, redline it, drop it into drive........verrrry bad for an automatic, a few of those and you can wish your tranny goodbye

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
RBI*04 said:
with an automatic.....put the car in nuetral, redline it, drop it into drive........verrrry bad for an automatic, a few of those and you can wish your tranny goodbye
remember this guy has a manual tranny which are less expensive that autos. But yeah, still do expect to pay an arm and a leg for a tranny. Too bad you cant get your own cuz there is a used one on ebay for around $200 if I remember. A rebuild on the auto in my 97 was estimated in upwards of 2 grand so I got a tranny from a dealeship for $1500. A manual is cheaper but not a whole lot. I'd guestimate anywhere from $500-$1500. Heck you can get low mileage JDM tranny for less than $500.

Mitch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've found a shop that is willing to install a replacement tranny for $275. I might look into a jdm tranny, or any other cheaper options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
B13TTSE said:
I've found a shop that is willing to install a replacement tranny for $275. I might look into a jdm tranny, or any other cheaper options.

I'm having a hard time finding a tranny at a decent price, what is the the average price.

I've found one for 595 w/o shipping

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
can probebly find aused one at a pick and pull yard for roughly 200-400 depending on how cool the guy is. and then even with 0 knoledge a few friends and a manual u can do it all yourself and install a new clutch while yer at it of course. o yea and make sure to put fluid in your "new" tranny cus.... sounds like u didnt have any in the last. another thing is consider finding a parts car reall smashed up for realllly cheap and snag the tranny or any other goodies u want then have a junk yard haul the rest away

·
Registered
6 Posts
B13TTSE said:
I'm having a hard time finding a tranny at a decent price, what is the the average price.

I've found one for 595 w/o shipping
HEY IF U HAVE A 1.6 I HAVE A TRANNY U CAN GET MAKE ME AN OFFER AND WE WILL SEE

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MORTAL419 said:
HEY IF U HAVE A 1.6 I HAVE A TRANNY U CAN GET MAKE ME AN OFFER AND WE WILL SEE
I've found a rebuilt tranny with a 12 month warranty. At one point, I was lookin at buying another car, a honda hatch. I'm not sure if i want to throw money into this car, because I'm bein' giving a 96 max in july. I would like a car to fix up, autocross, and tear up the back roads. i lack passion for the b13, but I find it cheaper to fix and mod what I already have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a 450 tranny +250 install= 700 + new clutch 300= 1000

I've been car shopping online and have found 3 88-90 Integra ls's. There is one, in particular that has my attention, an 89 with 100k. I might be joinin' the honda acura guys
:hal:

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
B13TTSE said:
I found a 450 tranny +250 install= 700 + new clutch 300= 1000

I've been car shopping online and have found 3 88-90 Integra ls's. There is one, in particular that has my attention, an 89 with 100k. I might be joinin' the honda acura guys
:hal:
With the prices I'm seeing you list it's obvious you are searcing in the wrong places. Not to mention that putting in a tranny ain't overly difficult. Every car has it's problems. Getting another car doesn't mean your car problems are over. I won't comment any further.

Mitch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sentra97gxe said:
With the prices I'm seeing you list it's obvious you are searcing in the wrong places. Not to mention that putting in a tranny ain't overly difficult. Every car has it's problems. Getting another car doesn't mean your car problems are over. I won't comment any further.

Mitch
Im hoping to get rid of this car, so lil aftermarket support, lack of stylin' on the 4dr model, but mysearch for a replacement hasn't been easy. I wish i wouldnt hae locked my money into I-bonds, then i would have a budget that would increase my search. I might have to keep this ugly pos :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts