Nissan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wasup guys, i recently advanced the timing on my car to 15 degrees......about 3 days later, i started hearing weird noises coming from my engine.....by the passenger's side, all the way at the front of the engine from what i can hear, but it only does this noise when i'm making right turns, never does it when i'm driving straight or anything else, the idle is normal, i retarded the timing to about 13-14 but still makes this noise, does anyone know what this is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
cv joints

1) park ur car and look under at ur cv joints boots see if it is torn a little . If it is it already to late to repair it so go to a shop and get it replaced I t will cost about 300 new 50-110 bucks junk yrd used.

2) U might of f up ur bottom front chassis if u hit a curb at more than 50mph

3) I doubt it but ur shocks could be gone too

GIVE me more details.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i eliminated the fact that it is detonation of any sort, because when the car is in park or drive and not moving, i move the steering wheel to the left and to the right, and it makes those noises which sounds like something is breaking.......almost sounds like someone is lighty knocking on the front frame of the car..........i checked my power steering fluid while the engine was hot and the fluid level was barely in the middle of max and min....maybe i need more fluid?

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
hmm, i have had to replace both axles due to torn cv boots, my car made clicking noises during hard right turns. i don't recal it making any noise just moving it back and forth while not in motion. also it didn't quite sound like somthing hitting the car. just gears clicking.

does this sound sound hollow?

could this also be your sterring components? if it was low on fluid i would expect to hear that "electric whine", not knocking. this may be bad mechanical parts????

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Sounds like CV joints to this tech. Listen down by that wheel as a friend makes a slow right turn(walk beside the car).. Give us some more info if you can. The CV can make noise just sitting and turning the wheel becasue it does move(rotate slightly) with the turning action.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
well if it could be cv boots, then you can visually inspect it on the outside though, and at this stage, diagnosis is kinda hasty, is the car dropped??? are bigger wheels installed??any curb rash, or aything, and if it's hollow, kinda gives a clue.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i'll try to get more info, it maybe that the cv joints are tore up..........i'll put more power steering fluid in there, see wasup,,,,what kind of fluid should i put in there? any particular kind? by the way, the car has a 2 inch drop sittin' on some 17's......but i've had the drop and the wheels for a while now, and this problem started on thursday night on my way home from work.........:(

·
Registered
346 Posts
yo

Yo are you running regular shocks and strut/lowering spring setup or coil overs? Have you had your car aligned lately? Do you have the stock bushings or energy suspension bushings? Reason Im asking all these questions is that if you would have lowered it a little......maybe even 1.5 inches it dosent put as much stress on suspension components. The energy suspension bushings can handle much more stress on the suspension because of being urethane. Trust me I had both my CV boots go on me and I was running Tockico shocks (blues) and eibach sportline springs (1.8 Inch drop) I am getting ground control coil overs soon, 17s are awesome but put stress on wheel bearings CV boots and joints too, gotta set up the suspension to be able to take that stress ya know?

·
Registered
63 Posts
torn or worn cv boots make no noise themselves, they just allow all your lube to wash out, quickly tearing up the cv joint which usually makes a mechanical clicking noise when turning, and sometimes under hard acceleration. It sounds like you are saying they click when you turn the wheel with the car not moving? To check the covers, just reach under and with your fingers feel around all of the boots. they usually split in between the "accordian" like features of the boot. Replace these immediately before the joints are damaged. If the joint is shot, it must be replaced and like others said, can cost around 300 bucks. I have found some independent repair shops that can get remanufactured ones, they quoted me about 150 installed. With the type of noise you are talking about the sound way shot, or some other problem exists. Good luck with your car, hopefully is simple to correct.

Russellc

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah. i'm gunna take it to a mechanic for the full result on how bad the damage is......i just dont wanna get raped at the shop by them telling me all kinds of shit is wrong just to make extra $$$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts