Nissan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Advance the spark carefully, and listen for pinging or knocking. Those WILL hurt your engine, and performance too. Go for the easy things first. A KN air filter (or any low restriction filter), a cold air intake, new spark plugs (along with a complete tune up of course). Maybe a lower restriction muffler. If you want more fun, a little razzy sound will make the car feel like it's doing more.

All these mods can happen one at a time, fairly cheaply, and will make small increments of difference in performance.
i have a new intake (low restricted one) with 8.5mm wires and new plugs. i am currently seeing what a 2" exhaust with a twin loop muffler is going to cost. Are headers worth the trouble since i live in PA, i have to relocate the cat? And do the UR pulleys decrease engine life by alot like i heard?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a new intake (low restricted one) with 8.5mm wires and new plugs. i am currently seeing what a 2" exhaust with a twin loop muffler is going to cost. Are headers worth the trouble since i live in PA, i have to relocate the cat? And do the UR pulleys decrease engine life by alot like i heard?
Headers will help, especially if you take the time to do some port matching on the exhaust. Relocating the cat isn't that big a deal, since you'll have to build a new exhaust from the headers anyway.

UR pulleys don't decrease the engine life as long as you don't chronically over rev the engine, and don't let it overheat from a water pump that is turning too slow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since im pretty new at this I do not know what porting matching the exhaust means could you please clarify?And do you mean chronically over reving the engine like up past 4k all the time and stuff or more near 5&6k.Does the water pump turn slower with the UR pulleys?or did you mean over reving all the time would cause over heating and such?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since im pretty new at this I do not know what porting matching the exhaust means could you please clarify?And do you mean chronically over reving the engine like up past 4k all the time and stuff or more near 5&6k.Does the water pump turn slower with the UR pulleys?or did you mean over reving all the time would cause over heating and such?
With any underdrive pulleys the other components turns slower, like the water pump...

·
Registered
485 Posts
The timing should not change do to no AC or PS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello! This seems like it could be really helpful, however the images are no longer shown. I need to adjust the timing on my 91 Sentra but the Haynes manual doesn't have a very good description on how to do this. Does anyone have the pictures that were shared?

·
Registered
126 Posts
When you are lining up the crank shaft lines to match the degree, what are you lining the crankshaft up with? Is it another mark on the engine? My distributor when I turn it back and forth while its loosened, has one position where it feels like its "seating". If you rotate it 180 degrees it has another position like its "seating" and the one right next to it. So there are three positions. Which one is for normal timing? I haven't used the marks on the crank shaft so I put a long thin rod down the first cylinder to rest on the piston and rotated the engine until the rod was at its highest point(assuming this is TDC.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi!

Is that realy the increments on the pulley? the 1st line being -5 0 5 10 15 20 25?

My pulley has 6 lines is that the correct order? Because when I timed it with a mechanic he said that 10 degrees will be at the 2nd line is that correct or is the mechanic bullying me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi!

Is that realy the increments on the pulley? the 1st line being -5 0 5 10 15 20 25?

My pulley has 6 lines is that the correct order? Because when I timed it with a mechanic he said that 10 degrees will be at the 2nd line is that correct or is the mechanic bullying me?

Thanks!
There are 6 lines, just like the picture (-5 0 5 10 15 20). I'd also like a confirmation on this...it's odd none of the manuals I've looked at mention anything about this at all.

Even if it wasn't right, I would still disagree with your mechanic. By him saying that the 2nd line is 10 degrees, this would make the first line 5 degrees....leaving nothing for 0 degrees. Every engine will have a TDC (0 degree) mark of some sort.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are 6 lines, just like the picture (-5 0 5 10 15 20). I'd also like a confirmation on this...it's odd none of the manuals I've looked at mention anything about this at all.

Even if it wasn't right, I would still disagree with your mechanic. By him saying that the 2nd line is 10 degrees, this would make the first line 5 degrees....leaving nothing for 0 degrees. Every engine will have a TDC (0 degree) mark of some sort.
Yes, based on the FSM i downloaded it says there that the 4th line is for the 10deg BTDC and the 2nd line will be the 0 deg BTDC...

By the way, 0 deg BTDC is equal to TDC, isn't it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where did you find it in the FSM? I downloaded the FSM listed on the forum (the B13/N14) and couldn't find anything. Is it in the engine overhaul section? All the places where it said to adjust timing...it wasn't very specific. Now that I think about it, I'm sure there is a section that shows how to get the engine to TDC...that should explain the timing marks.

By the way, 0 deg BTDC is equal to TDC, isn't it?
Yes, you are correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where did you find it in the FSM? I downloaded the FSM listed on the forum (the B13/N14) and couldn't find anything. Is it in the engine overhaul section? All the places where it said to adjust timing...it wasn't very specific. Now that I think about it, I'm sure there is a section that shows how to get the engine to TDC...that should explain the timing marks.

Yes, you are correct.
I found it on the ENGINE CONTROL section I downloaded a B14 FSM. It's listed there as Ignition Timing/Idling you'll never miss it. :)

Anyways, I'm trying to find the TDC of the engine using the highest-point-of-the-stick method when i found the highest point it wasnt marked wtih the 0 deg BTDC on the pulley... It's way past the marks! How come?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyways, I'm trying to find the TDC of the engine using the highest-point-of-the-stick method when i found the highest point it wasnt marked wtih the 0 deg BTDC on the pulley... It's way past the marks! How come?
I'm not sure on that one...seems odd to me. Someone else will have to help you out with that.

How far past? 5 degrees? 10? More? For anyone that knows, would it be possible that stretch/wear in the timing chain will cause this?

41 - 60 of 93 Posts