Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I completely bled the entire brake system on my '07 Sentra. I used a clear nylon tube so I could be sure all of the air bubbles were removed.

The brakes worked great for a couple of days. Nice and firm.

Then I noticed that after driving on the freeway for longer than 5 minutes or so, the brake pedal would nearly touch the floor the first time. It would still stop though. If I pump it once then it is back to normal. This problem doesn't occur in the city since I am constantly using the brakes.

Can this be caused by the brake booster? Also, I attempted the bleeding procedure for the master cylinder. I don't see how this is effective since after bleeding it you just reconnect the lines. Wouldn't it pull the air that was sitting at the top of the line into the master cylinder with the first pump ?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is actually a '97 Sentra

Totally missed that one. It is actually a '97 Sentra. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution Found

SO I took it to Midas and they charged me $25 for a break inspection. Their results suggested there was no air in the lines or master cylinder and there were no leaks. As I suspected.

However, they did suggest to change the front pads since they were on the low side. About .25 inches left. Also, they noticed the caliper pins were on the dry side (lacking lubricant).

I purchased a full front set of ceramic (not semi-metallic) pads from Carquest for only $32. I also purchased an 8oz. bottle of break caliper grease for $18. That has to be the most expensive grease I have ever purchased. But it serves as a noise reduction when applied to the back of the pad as well.

I took it for a test drive and whala! It works like it did 11 years ago!

For all of you DIYers out there, remember to lube moving parts up good when changing brake pads. You can also clean the parts with the recycled break fluid.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
first .25 inch is over 6 mm so these were about half worn. So not the problem.
second point is the lubing the calipers, pins etc make the calipers and pads easier to knock back, which is good.
Assuming you bled these correctly my conclusion is your brakes were dragging, and your fluid old, so you might have been boiling the fluid ( or the water in the fluid to be more correct.)
Now if your problem is gone this makes sense.
did you have any evidence one caliper was dragging ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts