Nissan Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a post related to my ECM problems on here, but figured I'd chime in and say my ECM had to be replaced. Haven't confirmed it was from the foam, but wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a 02 v w/ apprx. 30000miles,still havnt got a message.no signs of any problems either.should i have it turned in anyways?

·
Registered
7 Posts
02' Ser to the shop

I have an 02' ser yesterday it died for no apparent reason and the check engine light came on. I found info on the recall on the nissan usa site. I fall in the vin code for all four of the recalls. Crank sensor, ECM, Floor mat and Pre Catalyst. The car has had High oil usage since I bought it last year. It talks of possible engine replacement under certain situations.

They start on it tomarrow

I love my pocket rocket.

ian

·
Registered
7 Posts
02 SER fixed

Well they got it done........... ECM cleaned out crank sensor replced ECM reprogrammed pre-cat material removed and my mats are on order.

The first thing i noticed after I got it back was a dramatic differance in drivability the prgram has changed the power band (it is wider) and the GROWL from the exaust is much higher. My dealer did the whole deal in a day. BTW thet also give an oil change........ the mats are on back order due to the response on the recall........ DO NOT WIAT TO GET IT DONE....... when your crank sensor fials it WILL leave youe dead in the road.......

·
Registered
7 Posts
02' SER Recall work

I just got my ser back from recall, They are handleing each car different based on the condition of the vehicle. I had minor oil loss and right befor I took it in the engine quit and the CEL came on and stayed on. I fell under all four recalls. The drivability is VERY different my power band has changed it is MUCH wider I also noticed less tourqe steer out of the hole but it for sure has alot more high end pull. I was getting heavy pull in second between 2800 and 3200 r's now I have hard pull between 3000 and 6200 r's I had the header and cat replaced they did not do an engine. I had the advantage of a spectroanalysis machine at my disposal I had the oil checked while it was in the shop it came back as clean as one would expect with a 41k mile car. I dropped the car off and they had it done the next day. They washed it and cleaned the interior :thumbup: my dealer has been EXCELENT to me on this issue even letting me know that my drivability would change after the ECM reprograming. I run the hell out of this car It has only two RPM's I run it at 650r's (idle) and 6000r's (flat out) I was told by my tech that I could have the ECM tuned but to wait until after the recall. I think it will stay as is for now as I like the powerband change. I can really hammer it at 45-55 mph and it feels like I just hit the turbo. I will be taking it to the strip this weekend to see how she runs (last time I pounded a Dakota Magnum 5.7) I hope to run against a car that I have either lost to or won against to see how it has affected my times. FYI your service is VERY dependant on the dealer you use I switched dealrs right in the middle of the recall as the first one said that I caused the engine light to come on by my driving habits (I bitched the service manager :dumbass: out and pulled the car and wrote a letter to Nissan NA) my second dealer did the job and made it right.

Currently pleased with Nissan (subject to change without notice)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was wondering if you guys can help me out with some questions that I have. I took my car yesterday so it can have the recalls done. All they did was the ECM foaming, the Sensor, and the floor matts. I did not have good service. I told the guy that when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it would be hard. He told me my clutch is bad, but how can it be bad if it only does it between those two gears. What should I do? Also were they supose to give me some new floor matts? I didnt get the fourth recall done it didnt come out in the form. They just did a quick was to my car and didnt even vacumm it. I got punked guys what can I do to complain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
??????nissan why did my engine fail??????..... after the recall was done.........

ianformer said:
I just got my ser back from recall, They are handling each car different based on the condition of the.

Well after the recall was completed my engine FAILED... :wtf: ..... it sucked the precat up and away went the valve train......... the car lasted about 4300 miles then went blotto.......... i was driving along to work and noticed a popcorn popping sound from the exist.......... then a nice even ticking sound from the engine....... then on came the CEL........... :WTF: nissan???
this is my fourth nissan and all the trouble I have had with it is worse than all of my cars added up....... now the engine is on back order.....WTF!!!!

Just cause you get it done does not insure your engine won't FAIL........ 3 qrts of oil in 250miles........ black smoke blue smoke burned metal smell and SERIOUS drivability issues...........

It is goanna be a total of 2-3 weeks before i get my sentra back.......

:dumbass: < nissan engineers caused this......... the supplier of the cat is one of my customers they were blamed at first but now it seems the the temp treshold was not correct from nissan....... thermal failure thats why they tune them down to cool the cat and keep it from blowing back into the engine...... well nissan this did not work....... if you had the recall done :waving: watch your oil level and condition!!!!! mine had little bits of precat roaming around in the engine...... it seemed to be a catastrophic failure that took only a few minutes to happen after the precat failed.

Final note :thumbup: Jeffrey Nissan :thumbup: in metro detroit has been Super Fantastic about this whole thing...... they went to bat for me and got this covered they have been on my side from day one!!!! if you are in metro detroit this is the dealer to get the job done......... tell John or Bob (service) that your found this info here....... then tell Al (parts) the same they will get er done for ya.........

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
first off, Nissan didnt design the enging. renault did.
second, your car could not have sucked the pre cat into the drive train. the pre cat is on the exhaust side of the engine and therefore cannot flow in reverse, through the cylinders as they are combusting and end up on your valves and retainers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Flying V said:
first off, Nissan didnt design the enging. renault did.
second, your car could not have sucked the pre cat into the drive train. the pre cat is on the exhaust side of the engine and therefore cannot flow in reverse, through the cylinders as they are combusting and end up on your valves and retainers.
Doesn't the cat bits get sucked back in through the EGR system? Not back through the flow of the exhaust per the header.

I asked for the recall about a year ago, and I was told I didn't need it. I have the paperwork for that too :) Either way, I never got a notice. 03 spec v

The other day, I drove the car when it was 5 degrees out. I sat and let it idle for a few moments and then took it out real nice and easy. I kept the RPMs real low and treated it like a new born baby. The engine had a horrible knocking sound the whole time. Even after the temp gage was normal, the engine sounded horrible. I havn't driven it since then, but I suspect problems.

I'll keep a close eye on the oil level, but the exhaust note has changed since the car was new.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
BUTTERFLY VALVE SCREWS

ATTN: QR25DE owners:
The 8 screws on the butterfly valves on the secondary intake runners are prone to comming out. This is a serious defect and will affect completely stock cars; of those who pull the intake manifold, this seems to affect well over half of QR owners. Yesterday, I found that 6 of the 8 screws on my car were so loose that a pinky finger could remove them. Nissan has not issued a recall for unknown reasons...you need to get the upper portion of the intake manifold pulled and LOCTITE these 8 screws!!!!! Nissan has a new intake manifold design for the newer SE-Rs, but the older ones are problem prone. Be aware of this, as Loctiting these screws can save you a boatload of butt ache.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what do I do now?
The recall for the tail hanger / ECM on my 2002 Altima was done last year. At 76K miles the check engine light came on and the catalytic converter was replaced (under warranty). At about that time I noticed that the engine started to consume oil. The dealership has done an oil consumption test and verified that it is greater than 1 qt. / 1000 miles.
Nissan’s (Corporate) response is that the engine is out of warranty. Local dealer wants documented oil change at 3000 miles interval before they will proceed further. I have the oil changed regularly (may not have the receipts) and I routinely check it – that’s how I found the problem.
Based upon what I have read I believe the pre-cat has probably failed which resulted in the engine oil consumption. How can I prove this? Ask the dealership to inspect the pre-cat (at my expense?) and to replace if necessary? What then, how can I get Nissan to accept liability for the failure?
If you would like to respond directly, my email is jvaldes’at’whoi.edu. Replace the’at’ with @

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
17 Posts
makavelimel said:
would anybody know if they recalled every car on this list? does any know what the starting vin numbers of the recalls? :newbie:

While I cannot remember the VIN#'s associated with the recall, I do know from working for Nissan that all you have to do is call in your VIN and they will tell you if there is something that's needing to be done under warrenty (and if it's a recall, you have till the car turns to dust to get it done... I was doing rear tail harness warrenty jobs on late 80's pickups in 2003). They will tell you yes or no.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ruben said:
Subject: 2002-2003 Altima/2002 Sentra 2.5 liter exhaust recall campaign.
Nissan is announcing a voluntary safety recall campaign ralated to model year 2002-2003 Altima and model year 2002 Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine to correct conditions that could lead to a fire.
*****Condition / Nissan Action*****
For 2002 and 2003 model year Altima vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine, the exhaust pipe hanger pin may catch debris from the road which could be ignited by contact with the main catalyst.

To correct this condition, the protrudeing portion of the exhaust pipe hanger pin will be removed.

In addition, for 2002 model year Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. certain engine operating conditions may cause the pre-catalyst to overheat and damage the catalyst substrate. if substrate particles enter the combustion chamber, they may score the cylinder walls, resulting in increased oil consumption. If the engine oil level is not checked on a periodic basis as specified in the owner's manual and drops below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the vehicle ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occure which could result in a fire.

Nissan is now developing plan to address the pre-catalyst on model year 2002 Altimas and Sentra vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engine. In addition to the corrective action, in order to reduce the risk of fire in the event of improper maintenance that could result in oil spillage, heat shield(s) will be installed on the pre-catalyst and exhaust tube.

This campaign affects approximately 268,000 Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine in the United States.
*****Owner notification*****

Nissan expects to start to notify owners in late May. The parts required to complete the repair on retailed vehicles are expected to be available at that time.

If customers have any further questions, call 1-800-NISSAN-1.

its for the all important cause of oil consumption
hey i have a 2004 ser spec v and i'm hearing this rattle sound its kinda hard to explain and it sounds like it's coming from my catalyic converter on the header so i ordered dc headers for my car to prevent my car from thos particles in the cat getting in my engine but i'm just making sure is that rattle sound the cat and it only happens at 2000 rpm and lower, so please respond to this thanks

41 - 58 of 58 Posts