Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
i had the reprogram done yesterday they checked the cat and said i was fine and didnt need a motor but the program they used pulled quite a bit of hp out of the motor my 04ser used to have a tourqe steer problem when getting on it hard but not any more and the gas miledge went up by about 5 miles per gallon from what the trip computor says had i known it would be that much of a change i would have gotten a header and left it stock i wish i new the dyno #s befor and after the change

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dyno numbers

Yah, you and me both... I get about 2 mpg better than before, but hp seems incredibly lower. Now will prob have to get the car chipped to see same hp as before. Damn I wish I'd known it was going to be this much of a change.

If neone dynos please post results.

Jey

·
Registered
941 Posts
OK, I'm confused.

The info originally posted says '02-'03 Altimas and '02 Sentras. But it looks like people with 03 and even 04 cars are getting notices.

I have an '03 Spec. Have heard nothing so far.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yah, typical nissan smoke and mirrors, were saying that only certain vins for 02/03 were effected because they corrected the issue in house, now looking more like they never corrected anything, probably more like one supplier was giving them sub-standard parts and to avoid replacing them, they are just making the engines calmer and less aggressive. I hope your car is not affected, it sux to lose the ponies.

Jey

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have an 02 spec, and its in the shop right now, they've called me and said that they are in the process of putting a new engine in it. to much shit got sucked up. don't have it back though, so no test drive info

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 04 Spec V I just took delivery on (posted a topic in the newb forum, cause it got sideswiped while parked for 3000 dollars worth of damage), and I called the dealer today after dropping it at the body shop, and he said the recall was for the 02's and 03's, and that 04's should NOT be affected. Also, he stated the loss in horsepower was "significant" and I would "definitely notice it".

Now here's my thing... The Spec V is just a freakin' Sentra with a (what I thought was) decent engine. Why would I want this car when I could have gotten an 04 Civic Si for $5000 off sticker (in the Northeast US)??? Anyone spoken to their dealers about they buying it back? I'd rather get out of this now if the car isn't going to be as fast or fun after I get the work done, if I even need it done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate the loss in horsepower, yes it is very noticable, I probably wouldn't have bought it had it been like this from the get go, but now here I am stuck with it, and it's not the car I bought. I wish there was a legal thing that could be done, after all, you buy a car with stated horsepower, they should not be able to do something to it that changes that significantly. If it was only capable of a certain level of performance without destroying itself, then that should have been the stated hp. I'm obviously upset about it. Gas mileage went up about 1 mpg. If I wanted a car that had better gas mileage I'd have bought a civic or a saturn, for nearly 40 mpg, I purchased the ser for performance at a bargain price, which is now gone.

If you get the recall done, and your not upset, that's good for you. I think most of us will be upset about this. If you don't get the recall done, you may have a toasted motor around warranty end and have no recourse by not having performed the recall. Screwed either way.

As the saying goes, grin and bear it. When the payoff equals the trade in, I'm trading in on anything but a Nissan. The ignorance and worthlessness of the dealers combined with this crap from Nissan has put me to a point such that I would rate them with American auto manufacturers. I'll probably purchase a Subaru or Mazda the next time around.

Good luck to you all!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I just got my recall notice over the weekend. :(

Haven't called the stealership yet. I hate those guys :mad:

Hopefully, the better mileage will make up for the loss in horsepower. Probably not, though ...

·
Registered
32 Posts
recall

well im taking my spec v in tomarrow and they are going to do the ecm deal and check the pre-cat the real bummer is i use synthetic oil and i have to bring my own oil and filter to the dealer as far as the performance goes someone should do a dyno test before and after the ecm mod and if the horsepower drops we could have a class action lawsuit agaist nissan i will drag race my car after this ecm deal is done so far ive gone 15.1/90 with a cat back (thermal) and cai and pulley i will post drag strip numbers as soon as i race the car ..as far as the fuel economy goes i get 27 mpg thas waht its supposed to get i dont want to loose any more horsepower either

·
Registered
941 Posts
I just had the service performed this morning. I flogged it a bit on my way to work ... didn't notice much of a difference. Maybe the initial low end power was a bit off, hard to say. Once the revs got above 3,000 RPM, it felt as strong as ever.

Without a dyno, it's just too hard to tell for sure. Still, having to rev it more isn't necessarily a bad thing. All the low end torque of this car was making me a lazy driver. I was used to my Honda Civic where I had to really wring it out to get it to go. That made me a better, more aggressive driver who shifted a lot more often. ;)

We'll have to see about mileage. I keep anal-retentive records so even a 1mpg difference will be pretty easy for me to see.

I was kinda miffed that they changed my oil and filter as well. I use $3-per-quart Schaeffer synthetic blend. I think I changed my oil in Augustr and I was going to do it again at the end of November and have a sample tested ... but that's out the window. :(

Gonna change out the dealership oil in December and begin using Red Line 5W30.

It took them a little over 2 hours so I doubt I got a new cat'. Maybe just an inspection, re-program and and oil change. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pending Recall

Ok bays and girls since im the only one who actually drag races their car which is the only way to tell the hp of a car (REMEMBER YOU DONT DRIVE A DYNO) heres the skinny i had the ecu reprogrammed and the heat shield replaced and the oil changed in which i had to supply my own royal purple (bummer) fuel milage is maybe 1 mpg better but the best news is the performance is the SAME i drag raced the car i actually i went my quickest and fastest (colder day than what im used to ) thae car went 15.01/91.3 mph not the fastest but i still race the car with the spare tire and im 250 lbs myself so the only thing i can say is that the power band is moved quite a bit mid and upper mid range is the same the top end 5700 to 6300 is a bit off and bottom end is the same i think (these cars have too much wheel hop) so instead of waiting for dyno this and dyno that take your car to the race track and do a before and after the results arent that bad ... maybe if you a road racer you might have to get used to it but for a drag racer its the same hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been comlplaining to my dealership since just after I got this car. I loved it whe I first bought it but, after the run around I have been having over the last 4 months, I don't want this car anymore. First, it takes forever to even get the car into the shop, they are always backed up (this is before the recall).
Before they knew what the problem was, they were doing oil consumption tests and keeping my car days at a time, or making me bring the car back every other week (they did not belive my very detailed note of how much oil I had been adding). Finally Nissan gave them the recall parts. After the shop did the recall service, the engine felt odd and was taking alot of time to turn over when I would start it. At 2700 miles into the oil change the oil was again almost empty. Back to the dealer, yesterday they did another oil consumption test, told me to bring it back in a week. This morning I drove to work (30 mi drive). I got to work and smoke is pouring out of the front end!!! Oil is everywhere!!! At first I thought they just spilled too much oil when filling it. After it cooled I restarted it and the damn thing is spitting oil out of the back of the engine (where the valve seal is). Back to the dealer, and who knows when I'll get the damn thing back!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have an 03 spec-v and i brought it in for service because the heat broke and they performed the recall service. they also changed the oil. it sucked because i just put mobil 1 in a week before. so if you have synthetic in your car let them know. my dealer said they do it as 'customer service' but they dont call first. just a heads up..

·
specV Addict
855 Posts
Recall Alert: INFINITI G35, INFINITI I35, INFINITI M45, INFINITI Q45, NISSAN 350Z, NISSAN ALTIMA, NISSAN MAXIMA, NISSAN SENTRA
Owner Notification Date: Dec 02, 2003
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 630000
Component Description: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
NHTSA Campaign Number: 03V455000 Schedule an Appointment

Description of Recall Campaign: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE CIRCUIT BOARD FOR THE CRANK POSITION SENSOR MAY HAVE AN IMPROPER SOLDER JOINT DUE TO SOLDER DEFORMATION CAUSED BY HEAT STRESS ACCELERATED BY THE EXISTENCE OF FLUX RESIDUE DURING THE SOLDERING PROCESS.
THIS COULD CAUSE THE "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" WARNING LIGHT TO COME ON, CREATE A NO START CONDITION, CAUSE REDUCED ENGINE POWER, OR CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CRANK POSITION SENSORS. VEHICLES INVOLVED IN A PREVIOUS RECALL CAMPAIGN, 01V357, ARE ALSO INCLUDED IN THIS NEW CAMPAIGN. THE REPLACEMENT SENSORS USED IN THAT CAMPAIGN ARE ALSO AFFECTED. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Recall Alert: NISSAN SENTRA
Owner Notification Date: Dec 02, 2003
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 276000
Component Description: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:MODULE
NHTSA Campaign Number: 03V477000 Schedule an Appointment

Description of Recall Campaign: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE QG18DE ENGINE OR QR25DE ENGINES, THE FOAM MATERIAL USED FOR THE INTERIOR LINING OF THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (ECM) BOX OUT-GASES SULFUR AS IT CURES.
IF ONE OF THE RESISTORS INSIDE THE ECM HAS A CRACK ON THE SURFACE COATING, THE GAS MAY CAUSE CORROSION OF THE RESISTOR. THIS COULD CAUSE THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHT TO COME ON, POOR DRIVABILITY (IDLE INSTABILITY, POOR ACCELERATOR), OR THE ENGINE TO STOP RUNNING WITHOUT WARNING DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.

DEALERS WILL REMOVE THE INSIDE LINING MATERIAL FROM THE ECM BOX. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261.

·
Registered
6 Posts
More recall info

I saw on the "My Nissan" section of the nissanusa.com site that there on SE-R's (not sure about Spec V's) that the pre-cat may become damaged under certain driving conditions for models within a certain VIN range. Lucky me, mine is in it. I'll check it out (and the others) next week and see what's up. I'll let everyone know.

·
specV Addict
855 Posts
gs_austin said:
I saw on the "My Nissan" section of the nissanusa.com site that there on SE-R's (not sure about Spec V's) that the pre-cat may become damaged under certain driving conditions for models within a certain VIN range. Lucky me, mine is in it. I'll check it out (and the others) next week and see what's up. I'll let everyone know.
please read the other sticky. this recall is from a long time ago

21 - 40 of 58 Posts