Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Friends of ours...
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pending Recall

Subject: 2002-2003 Altima/2002 Sentra 2.5 liter exhaust recall campaign.
Nissan is announcing a voluntary safety recall campaign ralated to model year 2002-2003 Altima and model year 2002 Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine to correct conditions that could lead to a fire.
*****Condition / Nissan Action*****
For 2002 and 2003 model year Altima vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine, the exhaust pipe hanger pin may catch debris from the road which could be ignited by contact with the main catalyst.

To correct this condition, the protrudeing portion of the exhaust pipe hanger pin will be removed.

In addition, for 2002 model year Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. certain engine operating conditions may cause the pre-catalyst to overheat and damage the catalyst substrate. if substrate particles enter the combustion chamber, they may score the cylinder walls, resulting in increased oil consumption. If the engine oil level is not checked on a periodic basis as specified in the owner's manual and drops below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the vehicle ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occure which could result in a fire.

Nissan is now developing plan to address the pre-catalyst on model year 2002 Altimas and Sentra vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engine. In addition to the corrective action, in order to reduce the risk of fire in the event of improper maintenance that could result in oil spillage, heat shield(s) will be installed on the pre-catalyst and exhaust tube.

This campaign affects approximately 268,000 Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine in the United States.
*****Owner notification*****

Nissan expects to start to notify owners in late May. The parts required to complete the repair on retailed vehicles are expected to be available at that time.

If customers have any further questions, call 1-800-NISSAN-1.

its for the all important cause of oil consumption

·
Registered
22 Posts
but you should still go back to stock, get them to change the part or modify whatever they are going to do. then go back to aftermarket. this way, when you are ready to sell the car, you have had everything taken care of. you don't want this happening to someone else.

S

·
0 Posts
maybe he will sell it modified though, and then it shoudn't really matter?

B

·
0 Posts
Re: Pending Recall

This sounds like a lot to do about very little. The fact that this is a "voluntary" recall makes me believe that Nissan is convinced this is an isolated problem with a very low occurance. You can bet if this happened much, and Nissan had to worry about liability, the recall would not be voluntary...

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
Re: Re: Pending Recall

bgriffey said:
This sounds like a lot to do about very little. The fact that this is a "voluntary" recall makes me believe that Nissan is convinced this is an isolated problem with a very low occurance. You can bet if this happened much, and Nissan had to worry about liability, the recall would not be voluntary...

you know how many "incidents" have to be reported, or the amount of probable chance of them occuring, before a car company is willing to put out the big $$ to fix these problems free of charge to the customer?

·
Friends of ours...
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BlackSpec02 said:
Will I get a notice of this recall if I bought my car used? ...I bought it with the factory warranty etc. from an authorized nissan dealer....
You shouldn't wait for the notice. Contact your dealer. However, they use your registration information to notify you, so yes, you'd get the notice.

Z

·
0 Posts
they are still working onthe fix according to the 1800number.

we should be getting letters soon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got mine today and it specifically says to put your car back to stock if you have upgraded your intake or exhaust or else you will not get the recall. (also possibly subject to paying out of pocket for any necessary repairs) I am putting mine back to 100% stock Saturday when I get back from a business trip and make those SOB's finally fix all the annoyances with my Spec V. My hope: new engine, belts, converter, brakes (pulsating a bit) ;) :D

-Jason

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you have a header that removed the cat/manifold, you don't need to do the recall. They are replacing the stock manifold/catalytic converter and manifold heatshield. Basically the cat is coming apart and pieces are being sucked into the engine.

I think it's kinda funny, dealers fuck you out of your warranty if you have aftermarket parts on your car BUT if you have an aftermarket header, it saved THEIR ass from having to put a longblock in your car for warranty time.

K

·
0 Posts
Ok i read most of the threads on this subject but i didnt see whether or not the recall applies for the 03 spec v's that is unless i am blind and didnt pay enough attention

S

·
0 Posts
The recall notic I got said they will reprogram the ECM too prevent future damage too the pre-cat. If so will this alter the power out put. I bought a 175hp car it better stay a 175hp car after the recall.
I live in Canada so yes Canadian cars will also recive the recall.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got the recall performed, also had them turn the rear rotors (brakes were pulsating), and replace the front driver seat (guess my fat @ss was too much for it, was worn to the metal on the door side).

Results, they don't change the precat or do anything like that, as long as the CEL has not come on and stayed, said that would let them know if there was a need to replace the precat/header.

They do reprogram the ECU, apparently, this and some major stuff that requires an immediate oil change was done. My car is 200% different after the recall. The rev used to be quick up and down, now little slower up and has the hang time of a basketball player on the way down. like 3 or 4 times slower. Almost like your in 2nd and at 5 grand and then let off the gas. Anyway, the engine now seems torquier throughout the range and driveablity has improved, however, the car does not seem as fast. It feels like some ponies have been let out of the stall.

Can anyone dyno after the recall and post the results? I believe a spec v goes 141 HP and 157 TQ Stock before the recall. Not sure about SE-R, prob around 138 HP and 152 TQ.

Jey

1 - 20 of 58 Posts