Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear NPM;

I was going to write this in a more formal manner, but I figure I will get down to the point. As I am sure you know, the QR25 is having quite a few problems with the secondary intake runner butterfly screws literally comming unscrewed and getting suckied. Many guys are taking the intake manifold apart, removing these screws, reinstalling them with loctite (generally green or blue) and putting the kaboodle back together. I searched your site and did not find anything relating to this. Nissan is very indecisive when it comes to if and when they release a recall. With the amount of people who have had this problem (and also the amount of people who have ripped their intake manifold apart and found the screws to be loose enough to remove by hand), I feel that there is at least some, if not much, urgency to this problem. The loctite procedure seems very safe to me and the people who have done it are very happy. Personally, I would like to have the take of NPM on this procedure and maybe some more detailed information on the problem. Who knows, considering that a Hondata is in the same area install wise and relativey cheap (not to mention has highly disputed power gains), maybe Perf Spec V could do a write up on the butterfly valve screw problems and install a Hondata to see if it actually does yield gains for the write up for one month. You definately would help out a lot of owners who are very tense about these screws but not sure exactly what to do (leave them alone and hope for best or going for the Loctite?).

Cheers;
Zac

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
NickZac said:
Dear NPM;

I was going to write this in a more formal manner, but I figure I will get down to the point. As I am sure you know, the QR25 is having quite a few problems with the secondary intake runner butterfly screws literally comming unscrewed and getting suckied. Many guys are taking the intake manifold apart, removing these screws, reinstalling them with loctite (generally green or blue) and putting the kaboodle back together. I searched your site and did not find anything relating to this. Nissan is very indecisive when it comes to if and when they release a recall. With the amount of people who have had this problem (and also the amount of people who have ripped their intake manifold apart and found the screws to be loose enough to remove by hand), I feel that there is at least some, if not much, urgency to this problem. The loctite procedure seems very safe to me and the people who have done it are very happy. Personally, I would like to have the take of NPM on this procedure and maybe some more detailed information on the problem. Who knows, considering that a Hondata is in the same area install wise and relativey cheap (not to mention has highly disputed power gains), maybe Perf Spec V could do a write up on the butterfly valve screw problems and install a Hondata to see if it actually does yield gains for the write up for one month. You definately would help out a lot of owners who are very tense about these screws but not sure exactly what to do (leave them alone and hope for best or going for the Loctite?).

Cheers;
Zac
Isnt a Hondata a user programable ECU for Hondas?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I tore down the upper portion of my intake manifold this weekend and found the butterfly screws to be too tight to unscrew. The amount of force necessary to get them off would have stripped those brass screws, I'm sure. So I'll probably just go back in and check again before my warranty is up--don't know what else to do.
BTW I have an 03.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
NickZac said:
Dear NPM;

Cheers;
Zac
How many cars do you know of that have been affected by this?

·
b15 pimp daddy
158 Posts
morepower2 said:

i can recall at least 10-15 cases in recent memory..

it has led to problems in some of my freinds SPEC'vs, up to and including Finding screws in the cylinder, sudden onset of Misfire and Plug damage, Cylinder wall scoring.

its unforturately a scary /ridiculous problem that is allways on the back of a Spec Owners mind..

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
SR20dee said:
i can recall at least 10-15 cases in recent memory..

it has led to problems in some of my freinds SPEC'vs, up to and including Finding screws in the cylinder, sudden onset of Misfire and Plug damage, Cylinder wall scoring.

its unforturately a scary /ridiculous problem that is allways on the back of a Spec Owners mind..
Is this limited to certain years and mileages?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
SR20dee said:
the first instance of me hearing this was in 2002 with fairly low miles.. but i think it pretty much varies.

I'll go do some research..
Let me know.

·
b15 pimp daddy
158 Posts

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
morepower2 said:
More than should, too many incidents have happened for it to be a freak occurence and quite a few QR owners are becooming antsy, myself included. I am yet to rip my intake manifold apart but I bought the Hondata earlier. Guys claim that on the QR, it makes no difference but on the Honda engines, it has been dyno proven to give power. Considering no one has done a dyno before and after the Hondata, I dont think any evidence exists either way and when people claim it gives no power, they have no facts to back up their argument. For anyone that races, especially closed circuit, I would imagine this is infact a very helpful modification. http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html They make it for the SR and QR. To what I understand, they are getting more into Nissan. Some people have mentioned they are making an ECU but as far as I can see, it is little more than speculation.

As far as the screws, I originally thought it was only the 02-03. A few members here on NF have had this happen and one has been having ongoing problems and has finally gotten himself a new engine. IIRC he has an 02 Spec and his name is Dyntyme although I may be confusing that with another Spec V owner. I have recently heard of this on 04s...and to what I have been told, the newest design does not have screws.

Having a pro analysis on this would be a big gain so I figured I would ask you guys.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
NickZac said:
More than should, too many incidents have happened for it to be a freak occurence and quite a few QR owners are becooming antsy, myself included. I am yet to rip my intake manifold apart but I bought the Hondata earlier. Guys claim that on the QR, it makes no difference but on the Honda engines, it has been dyno proven to give power. Considering no one has done a dyno before and after the Hondata, I dont think any evidence exists either way and when people claim it gives no power, they have no facts to back up their argument. For anyone that races, especially closed circuit, I would imagine this is infact a very helpful modification. http://www.hondata.com/heatshield.html They make it for the SR and QR. To what I understand, they are getting more into Nissan. Some people have mentioned they are making an ECU but as far as I can see, it is little more than speculation.

As far as the screws, I originally thought it was only the 02-03. A few members here on NF have had this happen and one has been having ongoing problems and has finally gotten himself a new engine. IIRC he has an 02 Spec and his name is Dyntyme although I may be confusing that with another Spec V owner. I have recently heard of this on 04s...and to what I have been told, the newest design does not have screws.

Having a pro analysis on this would be a big gain so I figured I would ask you guys.
We checked ours and locktited it just in case.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
morepower2 said:
We checked ours and locktited it just in case.
Damn. If you already did it, I am guessing you didnt do any pics. Will any write up occur?

And what Loctite did you use?

I have the blue 245 which is medium. After hearing a few guys in construction talking about how they have had poor experiences with Loctite, I may even opt for JB Weld

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
NickZac said:
Damn. If you already did it, I am guessing you didnt do any pics. Will any write up occur?

And what Loctite did you use?

I have the blue 245 which is medium. After hearing a few guys in construction talking about how they have had poor experiences with Loctite, I may even opt for JB Weld
No we heeded your warning! The ower of the project might have used the wrong loctite so we are proably going to use red and stake the screws.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Most guys seem to use green which is the weakest. Considering the screws would prettymuch never have any reason to be removed, I dont see why using stronger would hurt. The blue I got in the middle may work but if it hits me to pick up some red, I may go for that. And I am still curious to if the Hondata or Hondata and throttle body bypass combined makes a difference on the dyno. ;)

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
NickZac said:
Most guys seem to use green which is the weakest. Considering the screws would prettymuch never have any reason to be removed, I dont see why using stronger would hurt. The blue I got in the middle may work but if it hits me to pick up some red, I may go for that. And I am still curious to if the Hondata or Hondata and throttle body bypass combined makes a difference on the dyno. ;)
I think we will test those.

·
Registered
674 Posts
For the intake butterfly screws, we've had 2 Spec-Vs, at our shop, that had engine damage due to the screws coming loose and sucking them through the motor. We had one that was apart and 5 of the 8 screws were loose. Luckily for that customer, we found it and added some Locktite. It's def. a problem.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts