Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. My 87 Sentra has a missfire problem. It starts as an intermittent miss when the engine is cold and progresses to a dead cylinder # 2 as it warms up. The spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap are all new, spark is good and strong. I can't find any vacuum leaks and compression is at 150psi across all cylinders. This miss is driving me crazy. I did the comp check on a cold engine, could something change as it warms up, like a valve adjusted too tight that seals when cold but leaks when hot be enough to missfire that cylinder? I believe the head gasket is fine because of the compression and no smoke out the exhaust and no coolant in the oil. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
88Pulsar_CA18DE said:
check to see if maybe one of the exhaust valves gets stuck open.. happened to my pulsar not too long ago :thumbdwn: (f'ckin expensive to fix)
Were your symptoms the same? How did you determine it was a sticking exhaust valve?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
also check valve lash... should be .011 hot if im not mistaken. other than that when the engine gets hot, it will keep the valves open...

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
PARTSGUY said:
Hey. My 87 Sentra has a missfire problem...Anyone got any ideas?
I'd just rebuild the head entirely or install a rebuilt one. The E16 stuff is cheap in comparison to other levels of Nissan engine stuff...best of luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts