Nissan Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
His is a good post. I had the same problem, right side DRL was coming on and off. As the the instruction in this forum, I have took out the DRL module, it was very easy process, took me 5 minutes; after taking out the left side door panel, and the rubber trim, I have unscrewed the plastic flat nut/screw which is just by the foot rest. here is the tricky part, that plastic cover is secured with 2 metal clips on the left side, just pry with a flat screw drive behind the cover and it will come out easy. then 10 mm socket to take out the bracket. When I tried to open the circuit board from the box, it was tough and tight though. I used the heat gun to soften the box and pried with flat screw driver, and came out. (In my first attempt without heat gun, I broke a small piece of the cover.).
I found some solder welding was burnt and brown. What I did, I gave some heat with the heat gun and its working now. I should have taken some picture of the process though.
Hope it will be helpful for any one who wants to try as DIY.

my xtrail (06 Canadian model) day time running light is no longer working, first one light, then now both went off. i took the factory bulb off (osram 54193), replaced with one i bought at walmart Sylvania 9003). the day time running light remain off.
the same bulb running fine for the high beam, i am kind of puzzled, unless this is something related to the hand brake switch, as day time running light would be turned on after the release of hand brake.

anyone of you have encountered similar issue before? thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Change mine twice last week at the pull place. Before it was buzzing by the left foot,then under the hood and now nothing. Still no right beam or drl. Now that motorcycle season is officially over the xtrail will sleep in the garage and i ll diagnose better the problem.
The right headlight was faulty but it was replaced since then. Contacts seemed rusted with some verdigris and with my son activating the switch i had no voltage on high beam(on the right side)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 a couple of weeks ago with electrical gremlins , no front or rear wipers , no pass headlight and no DRL . pulled the module in drivers kick panel and found two broken solder joints . Also found two broken wires at the passenger headlight . Lights are all working now .

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think I have this issue on this "new" Exxie, too...right side DRL not always on. I bought a bulb at Napa, totally forgetting it could be the module. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
469 Posts
There is some online debate about the old saying '' replace both headlight bulbs, not just the burnt out one''. Personally, if i had the old style , cheap to buy bulb headlight it would not be a bad idea to buy a pair for say $4-10 , change out both bulbs or at least keep the second new bulb as a spare. Or Molly, you can upgrade your headlight bulbs to LED as i did on my 06 Xtrail. I have had the same pair of LED bulbs for about 4-5 years now, never burnt out and super reliable, they cast a really nice white LED light . They make my 06 Xtrail look like a new modern suv, especially at night. If you do go an upgrade, but the LED bulbs that come with a ''plug and play'' canbus. That will ensure your turn signals do not rapid flicker when you have your headlights turned on and signaling. I paid about $80-90 off amazon.ca for a good pair of LED bulbs. Three things to mention if you do decide to get the led bulbs : Get the ones with a canbus ( see the little box/wire? that's a canbus....some kind of electrical converter) , do not go cheap and buy low quality made in china bulbs/you will regret later. And the only real issue You may have is that led bulbs do not give off any real heat so if you live in Alberta and winter comes, your headlight covers will not warm up so the thin layer of frost melts off . I live in Vancouver so i get mostly rainy, mild winters and on cold frosty winter mornings i just use my squeegee to remove the frost....not a big deal for Me.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks, Tony. But I think I still will have the DRL module issue even if I get new headlight bulbs? I have wished for better lighting at night so maybe the LEDs would be better; I will have to polish the lenses with my polishing kit, too. That helped brighten things up a little on my LSB 1.0. :giggle:

·
Registered
469 Posts
ahhhhh, ok. I actually lost the daytime running light function once i installed my LED bulbs, but it does not bother me because i always manually turn on my full headlights every time i hope in any vehicle i drive since i first got my DL over 30 years ago. As for the polishing head light covers, i just did that again last night in my driveway. I do that frequently. I do not bother with store bought polishing kits. For me, i just use sime $8 container of Turtle Wax. Of course i experiment and use other waxes, some more grittier/finer polish then others. Also, lately i've been using Goo Gone spray to first clean the head light covers. That works very well. Then i apply the wax and just use a clean waxing rag by hand and i'm very satisfied with my results. Keep in mind some head light covers are just too old, UV faded, scratched and too far gone to bother with any polishing. Also, sometimes the Inside of the headlight cover is deteriorated and reached the point where you just have to buy new headlights! I'm satisfied with mine the way they are now and will not go spend money on new head light assemblies unless i get into a car accident and they get busted up.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good tips, Tony. I'm almost out of my Meguilar's polish so will try some Turtle stuff later. Thanks!! :giggle:

·
Registered
469 Posts
yes, i use that glass top stove cleaner too. I believe i mentioned that on here a few years ago while discussing ''polishing headlight covers''. Also use chrome polish. Bought a $8 Mother's chrome polish from cnd tire two years ago and use a bit of that now and then. I think any wax will do. I love watching ''how to videos'' on Youtube, especially the ChrisFix videos. One thing he mentions is after you do whatever waxing/polishing is to add a spray coat of clear coat. But i think it is overkill on my now 14 year old truck. Just waxing the head light covers once in awhile keeps them 95% clear.....you need to go eyeball them to see the pits and fine scratches.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts