Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Super easy to change it. You need to first pull up the door runner trim. Basically cover a flat screwdriver with tape and pry up the piece which is held by 3 retaining pins that pop out. You will then want to move the rubber door trim at the side of your driver's side footwell. With that off there is screw on pin cover just to the left of the foot resting pad that you pop off. With that off the plastic cover can be pried off by pulling it towards you, the daytime running light unit is behind it. The unit is held in place by a snap on bracket that you will probably have to attach to the new or repaired unit you get. It is attached with a 10mm bolt. With it removed its easy to flip up the unit and undo the two connections which have tabs you press in to undo them.
On mine as well it was the right hand daytime light that was not working. In examining the board on mine, one of the pins has cracked solder all around it that is most likely the actual issue. Someday soon, I will resolder it, and will keep it as a spare. Ours is pretty similar to the one here

I am pretty sure the fixed ones available on Ebay or Kijiji have had a similar repair done to them.
Congrats on your new to you X Trail. Great cars and lots of info to save you money on repairs and maintenance to be found here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: DRL replacement steps

Super easy to change it. You need to first pull up the door runner trim. Basically cover a flat screwdriver with tape and pry up the piece which is held by 3 retaining pins that pop out. You will then want to move the rubber door trim at the side of your driver's side footwell. With that off there is screw on pin cover just to the left of the foot resting pad that you pop off. With that off the plastic cover can be pried off by pulling it towards you, the daytime running light unit is behind it. The unit is held in place by a snap on bracket that you will probably have to attach to the new or repaired unit you get. It is attached with a 10mm bolt. With it removed its easy to flip up the unit and undo the two connections which have tabs you press in to undo them.
On mine as well it was the right hand daytime light that was not working. In examining the board on mine, one of the pins has cracked solder all around it that is most likely the actual issue. Someday soon, I will resolder it, and will keep it as a spare. Ours is pretty similar to the one here

I am pretty sure the fixed ones available on Ebay or Kijiji have had a similar repair done to them.
Congrats on your new to you X Trail. Great cars and lots of info to save you money on repairs and maintenance to be found here.
Thank you, again!!! This is super and I now feel a lot more confident taking on the repair myself. And I will definitely go through the forum and contribute to it if I can help others.

I have a Japanese-made 2002 Nissan Maxima, too, which I love for the quality they put in and how smooth and powerful it is. Oh, no!! I might like the X-Trail better now and have to sell the Maxima!! Eeeeekkk!! ;-)

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Glad to help. If you have any questions don"t hesitate to ask. If you have the soldering ability it would be worth trying, but as I said getting it out of the case is a bit tricky, though I am sure electrical tape will be sufficient to fix the damage I did. Of course that adds time to the job, so its probably worthwhile to order a repaired one as they are not that expensive. Or do as I did and visit a Kenny U pull or other scrap yard and see if you can luck out with a used one. You can see on the ebay listing that they were used in different Nissan and Infiniti models. But it is definitely something you can fix yourself without having to pay $500+ at the dealer.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
The two connector black colour cased module covers the following models:

- Infiniti G35 2003-2006

- Nissan Xterra 1999-2004

- Nissan X-Trail 2005-2006

- Nissan Quest 2004-2009

- Nissan Sentra 2001-2006

- Nissan Maxima 1995-1999

- Nissan 240SX 1995-1998

In case someone decides to go searching for one. They all use the same part and its always in the same drivers side footwell location from what I can see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know where you are but you may want to contact this guy
kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/london/nissan-drl-module-fix/1310832029

or better
kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/kitchener-waterloo/nissan-infiniti-day-time-running-lights-module-drl/1123118133

ebay.ca/itm/Nissan-Infiniti-OEM-Day-Time-Running-Lights-Module-DRL-DTRL-Controller/172359243060?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%2

ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-Nissan-OEM-Day-Time-Running-Lights-Module-DRL-DTRL-Controller-/172275710456

I note the style seems a bit different on this, so I guess there is a two pin and 3 pin style.
On page 65 of the lighting section in the service, the location of the DTRLM is shown. Easy for you to check as its behind the trim panel to the left of the drivers side foot rest. Does not appear very complicated to replace the unit. Maybe 15 minutes work total or less.
I went through this a couple of years ago. What a PITA, tried fixing my module and messed it up, bought a couple of used modules which worked or partial worked for a while. Then I bought the module on line with lifetime warranty from the guy on Kijiiji, never had to worry about it again PROBLEM SOLVED! :laugh:

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. I figured the soldering might not be as easy as it looks. Good to learn that the guy on Kijiji does a good job. And welcome to the forum by the way!

·
Registered
8 Posts
(sigh) DRLM module changed...still not working

Thanks for all the support, folks! I bought a replacement used DRLM from Derek in Ontario through Kijiji/eBay links noted earlier. With "tested OK" on it, I replaced the module as instructed.

Passenger side DRL still not working (headlight mode does). :eek:

Suggestions for troubleshooting next steps? Any way I can be sure the module I replaced actually does work? Or should I just open up the old one, solder it as noted above, and try it?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
My guess is the repaired unit is defective. I would either contact the seller and see about getting another, and/or try to repair my old one. Otherwise, it has not been a common problem so doing like I did and pulling a used one at a junk yard should work with a bit of luck. Posted the list of models that use the same one to help someone out in the search for one. Kenny U pull charged me $5 for mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is the repaired unit is defective. I would either contact the seller and see about getting another, and/or try to repair my old one. Otherwise, it has not been a common problem so doing like I did and pulling a used one at a junk yard should work with a bit of luck. Posted the list of models that use the same one to help someone out in the search for one. Kenny U pull charged me $5 for mine.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will get another unit first to prove it is, or is not, a defective unit I got. Then move on from there...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nissan X-Trail DTRL saga conclusion - a new solution!

For future 2005-2006 Nissan X-Trail owners struggling with the day-time running light problem:

After trying two used DTRL modules, purchased through eBay, I brought my X-Trail to a local auto electrical shop. "Oh, yes, we see lots of these. Always on the right side". After testing the original and one of the used replacements, they noted that the power coming out of the modules for the right side was too low. "You can spend $360 + tax + installation [DIY, of course] for a new one, or... we can install a relay instead of the controller. We do this for U.S. imports that need daytime running lights. When your ignition comes on, your headlights come on. You will never have a problem again."

Cost:

Relay: C$21.60
Shop supplies: C$3.00
Labour: C$99.00
GST/PST: C$14.83
---------
C$138.43

Thank you again to everyone who supported my odyssey! I hope this helps those who find this in the future...

Paul

Nanaimo, BC

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It provides another option for people with the issue. Another option along the same lines would be to use the fog lights, as in Canada they can be used as legal daytime running lights. The only down side to what your car electrician did, is to increase the usage of your low beams, and you will probably have to replace your headlight bulbs more often as a result. The DRL's on ours use the high beam filament at a lower power setting.
Happy to report the used I one I pulled at Kenny's is working fine.
Hope the fires and smoke in BC end soon.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Me too!

Just noticed I have a bit of an intermittent fault with my daytime running light on the right side. I have noticed it's off on one side from a reflection in a bumper, or when I have started the car, and then low and behold its working again later when I go to check. The bulb is good and works on low and high beams. I may take a trip to Kenny U pull and see if I can't a replacement module really cheaply. It's not even in their price list. Who knows might end up being free lol.

Hey Quad... I have the same issue. Right side DRL works intermittently, but when it is off, the left one is twice as bright! I am taking the Little Silver Bus in for an oil change, rear brake pads, and front rotors tomorrow at my mechanic's. I was going to call him and mention this light, too...my other mechanic actually replaced that bulb on my last oil change as it must have been out when he saw it. So obviously it was not the bulb. But curious as to why the other one gets so bright, like a high beam almost... Your do-it-yourself suggestions are fine but we have no access to a garage now that we have moved again, and there is a foot of snow out there. Plus that kind of finicky electronic work is not up my or my hubby's alley!! >:D

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Hi Molly,
Sad to hear about all that early snow in your neck of the woods. Have faith in a week it will all be gone. I am not sure why your other light glows twice as bright but basically our day time running lights use the high beam, and its the module that regulates the power to them. My guess is that your module is giving up the ghost and is no longer regulating the power to the high beam on that side the way it should. Your husband or even yourself is up for the job of replacing this. Its an easier job than replacing the cabin filter, or a headlight, but your best bet will be to order one of the modules off ebay, have it delivered to you and bring it to your mechanic to swap out the old one. Basically you need to remove the lower trim to the left of the drivers side footwell, remove the unit held in by 1 or two screws, remove bracket from old and place on the new, plug in the connector and then reinstall.
Other option is to have your mechanic do as Paul suggested, or hope you get lucky like I did at a junk yard. I posted a list of the different models using the same part as on ours.
Glad to hear your little silver bus is still going. What mileage are you at these days?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks, Quad. I'll ask my guys what they would charge to install that module. In the meantime I'll just turn on my headlights manually! My bus just rolled over 398K. We are getting a bit worried as we now live about 250 KM from Calgary where my Mom just recently got put in to a nursing home, so a visit will be 500 km every time, so it will add up a lot quicker now! That said, we still want to make sure it is taken care of...just had new front rotors installed yesterday. I guess I should have had the brake pads done, too, as they squeal now, so I will have to go back and do that! My rear brake pads are about half worn, too. Still getting very good gas mileage! :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got'em fixed!

Hey there! Finally ordered that DRL module from the DRL Guy on Kijiji. I ended up doing it mostly my ownself! Hubby had a bit of trouble seeing down in the corner and his fingers can't get in there as well as mine, I guess.... Felt pretty dang proud of myself too! So nice to have the lights working properly again. :nerd:

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Way to go Molly. I knew you could do it. Sadly mine has started to act up and its occasionally not working on the passenger side, but then works fine for days afterwards. I will either try and resolder my old one as I can see where the solder has cracked, or when I get a chance I will go by a Kenny-U Pull and grab another.
How is the engine running with the new timing chain?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks, Quad! :D I wouldn't even dare attempt what you plan to do. This is just unplug the old one and pop in the new one, after wrestling with the plastic covers! I am still miffed at my one previous mechanic who said it would take 1 1/2 hours... I haven't been there since, mind you. The Little Bus is running great...I should do another gas mileage calculation. One thing we have noticed; since having to change the oil again with that repair (and using some high mileage oil this time) it is staying cleaner looking on the dipstick. Before it didn't take very long before looking very black.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
I did not say I would succeed lol. I have never soldered before. Will probably grap a spare at Kenny's when I get a chance. Removing one from a scrapped car is the same as removing yours to install a newer one.
Glad to hear yours is running great. I am happy you gave it some open heart surgery. For the money you paid to fix it and the money you would have received selling it, I don't think you could buy anywhere near as good a used vehicle where you are. I am 90% sure you will reconsider selling it now, and probably keep it another year or two. Onwards to 500,000 kms...

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,030 Posts
Well finally I just went to Kenny U Pull and as they had no X trails, I grabbed one off a 2004 Quest. Was not able to locate one in an Infiniti G35, but since learned its next to windshield washer fluid container in the engine bay. Found the one for the Quest in the engine bay as well left side towards the rear.
Required repositioning the bracket on it, but works fine. In both the original and the used one I just replaced, I have some whiskering cracking on one solder pin, which is what I assume is the cause of the daylight running not working occasionally. Curiously I am hoping there is a possibility the 2004 one which is now a discontinued part, used lead solder prior to its being phased out in 2006.
I will try and repair one of the two I have now as spares, but first I will need to get a soldering iron and solder or find a friend with one I can borrow. Once again Kenny charged me $6 for the part plus their $ 3-yard entry fee.

In addition to the list I provide of models that use the same daytime running light module as Canadian X trails, are 2001 to 2006 Nissan Sentras.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts