Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my xtrail (06 Canadian model) day time running light is no longer working, first one light, then now both went off. i took the factory bulb off (osram 54193), replaced with one i bought at walmart Sylvania 9003). the day time running light remain off.
the same bulb running fine for the high beam, i am kind of puzzled, unless this is something related to the hand brake switch, as day time running light would be turned on after the release of hand brake.

anyone of you have encountered similar issue before? thanks for sharing, much appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Somewhat similar problem with my 2006.

Daylight running light both on as they should be when engine started.
As soon as brake comes off, the Driver's side High beam turns on by itself (with headlight switch off).
When headlights turn on, all lights are fine with high beam off.
When switched to high beams they work as they should.

Problem only shows up when headlight switch is off and no hand brake.
Must be a relay or a short.

Would love to get a wiring diagram

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot Diopter. I will bring the car back to deal this weekend, will find out, thanks

Somewhat similar problem with my 2006.

Daylight running light both on as they should be when engine started.
As soon as brake comes off, the Driver's side High beam turns on by itself (with headlight switch off).
When headlights turn on, all lights are fine with high beam off.
When switched to high beams they work as they should.

Problem only shows up when headlight switch is off and no hand brake.
Must be a relay or a short.

Would love to get a wiring diagram

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bring the car into dealer, told the daytime running light module need to be replaced, parts and labor, $500 CAD..adding some other wear and tear replacement, a $2000 CAD service...thinking of having to give up my 11 years old buddy next year, have been pretty reliable so far

thanks a lot Diopter. I will bring the car back to deal this weekend, will find out, thanks

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Did they give you a part number GiantPanda? What all else are they recommending be done? I am sure we can help you find ways to spend less than half that amount.
Here is a link to the factory service manual.

https://ownersmanuals2.com/make/nissan/x-trail-2006-4143

The lighting section should provide info on the system. When I get a chance I will give it a peek, and see about the part.
With a little love the old buddy can be great for a few more years yet.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Don't know where you are but you may want to contact this guy

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/london/nissan-drl-module-fix/1310832029

or better

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-and-accessories/kitchener-waterloo/nissan-infiniti-day-time-running-lights-module-drl/1123118133

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nissan-Infiniti-OEM-Day-Time-Running-Lights-Module-DRL-DTRL-Controller/172359243060?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE%2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-Nissan-OEM-Day-Time-Running-Lights-Module-DRL-DTRL-Controller-/172275710456
I note the style seems a bit different on this, so I guess there is a two pin and 3 pin style.
On page 65 of the lighting section in the service, the location of the DTRLM is shown. Easy for you to check as its behind the trim panel to the left of the drivers side foot rest. Does not appear very complicated to replace the unit. Maybe 15 minutes work total or less.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, thanks a lot quadraria10, this is a great information. I will digest the info. I kind of suspect it may not be module related, as it used to be one side of daytime light on and one side light off, then later both are off after not too far apart. i will find out the part number once i get my worksheet back. the car is now left with dealer and will pick up next week.

Thought I could post the pdf image for the location but can't. but you can see it in the above pic.

Anyway I am sure it can fixed rather inexpensively.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Actually Giant Panda, based upon what you describe and what the dealer found out, it is the module.

Found this which describes the nature of the problem, and a fix.

https://www.oildepot.ca/daytime-running-light-repair-honda-nissan/

Requires a bit of welding, but I figured it would be easier for you ( or most of us lol) to get a reconditioned one as the price is not too outrageous.

It may be too late if you have confided it to the dealer to repair, but if not--- grab the door sill plastic cover at the base of the drivers door side, and yank it up and off. Then you will take off the lower inside trim to the left of the driver's foot. If memory serves its held on by one or two plastic pushpins. With it removed the unit will be right in front of you as per the pic above. Would be useful to know if the part is the three style connector or the other one. If it was nicer out or I had a heated garage I would go and check on mine. Maybe some one here has done it and will chime in to let us know the right one to get. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to reach out to one of the listers on Kijiji or Ebay, and find out which is the right one.
Anyway please do a follow up post on this and let us know the outcome, and what else needs repair.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Pretty sure ours takes the two connector style - 28575-5M200 think is the right one. Not sure what the dealer is charging for the part, but labour should be really minimal for this.
the pics on this russian site show more, and even which connector to undo to disable the daytime running lights

Îòêëþ÷àåì ôóíêöèþ ïîñòîÿííîãî ñâåòà íà Nissan X-Trail · FAQ Nissan X-Trail (Íèññàí Õ-Òðåéë) · FAQ Nissan.

As an aside this russian site has quite an extensive how to list for the x trail. Glad I found it. Its pretty amazing how easy it is to get a translation these days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
back from dealer, the part number is 28575 eq600, did a google, more of this ==>
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-Nissan-OEM-Day-Time-Running-Lights-Module-DRL-DTRL-Controller-/172275710456

this is the first year i have repair beyond the disk / pad and all sort of oil change. did a drive belt replacement in May, then now the day light module (i dont know if it is one module or two, if it is two, then the quality control of the parts is pretty good, as both went off pretty much close. i experienced the same for my brake light bulb of this car), tie rods need to be replaced (i will search the forum to see if others also experienced tie rod issue).

still felt the car is pretty strong, but may prepare to replace with a new one next year. this year already spent $2300 for repair.

Pretty sure ours takes the two connector style - 28575-5M200 think is the right one. Not sure what the dealer is charging for the part, but labour should be really minimal for this.
the pics on this russian site show more, and even which connector to undo to disable the daytime running lights

Îòêëþ÷àåì ôóíêöèþ ïîñòîÿííîãî ñâåòà íà Nissan X-Trail · FAQ Nissan X-Trail (Íèññàí Õ-Òðåéë) · FAQ Nissan.

As an aside this russian site has quite an extensive how to list for the x trail. Glad I found it. Its pretty amazing how easy it is to get a translation these days.

·
Registered
602 Posts
tie rods need to be replaced (i will search the forum to see if others also experienced tie rod
I ve done that last year, 45$ for both outside, 2 beers and 1 broken wrench(1\2")
I did a manual alignment and no signs of a bad wear on tires.

Are you sure it s the tie rods?
Have you checked the ball joints?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good for you guys know of the skill, so far my ability have only up to change none safety related items, such as bulbs, battery, changing tires and etc. It is outer tie rod, did a check of parts online, cost about $20, while paid close to $500 at dealer for parts and labor.

I ve done that last year, 45$ for both outside, 2 beers and 1 broken wrench(1\2")
I did a manual alignment and no signs of a bad wear on tires.

Are you sure it s the tie rods?
Have you checked the ball joints?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the part number you received. It is the two connector style and is interchangeable with the the one I posted and we both put up the same ebay link. Dealer pricing is nuts as per usual but good to know there are much cheaper diy options, and that it is easy to change.
Tie rod ends at the dealer are 95 each plus tax, labour and alignment, so 500 total would be quite possible. On the other hand you could take it to an alignment shop, provide the parts and probably be out approx 200.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2006,x-trail,2.5l+l4,1434432,steering,tie+rod+end,7428
I would order the MAS extended life ones
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7524020&cc=1434432&jsn=366

Made in Canada and very good quality.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Just noticed I have a bit of an intermittent fault with my daytime running light on the right side. I have noticed it's off on one side from a reflection in a bumper, or when I have started the car, and then low and behold its working again later when I go to check. The bulb is good and works on low and high beams. I may take a trip to Kenny U pull and see if I can't a replacement module really cheaply. It's not even in their price list. Who knows might end up being free lol.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
I was able to get one at Kenny U pull. They charged $5 for the part plus 3$ for admission to their yard. For fun called Nissan dealer--same part $375. Super easy to get at and remove. Requires a screwdriver to depress the connector tabs and a 10mm socket to remove the bracket bolt that retains it. Hopefully it fixes my problem and I don't have to do any electrical detective work.
Based upon the quote GiantPanda got, Nissan would charge 1 hr labour to replace it. If it takes me more than 15 minutes to install and put everything back in place, it will be because I am taking my time lol.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Crazy thing is ever since I got the used one, mine has been working fine. Oh well I have a spare for if and when it starts acting up again.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,020 Posts
Well it started failing on one side again, so I installed my $5 Kenny U Pull one and both daytime running lights are now working. As shown on videos online I took my old one apart (cracked the case a bit), and there is one obvious spot where the solder has fully cracked around a pin. According to the video it just needs to be re-soldered. So I will keep it and should the problem come up anew will try and do the fix. But until then, I will happily leave the used one I installed in place. It is a 15 minute job to disassemble the trim, replace the part and put everything back together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
DRL part...thanks!

Don't know where you are but you may want to contact this guy

[Kijiji link]

or better

[Kijiji link]

[eBay link]

[eBay link]

I note the style seems a bit different on this, so I guess there is a two pin and 3 pin style.
On page 65 of the lighting section in the service, the location of the DTRLM is shown. Easy for you to check as its behind the trim panel to the left of the drivers side foot rest. Does not appear very complicated to replace the unit. Maybe 15 minutes work total or less.
Thanks for this! :) I just bought a 2016 X-Trail and am loving it. 2 weeks in? The right-side DRL stops working and bulb replacement doesn't fix it. Ordered one from the eBay link noted above and fingers crossed I can change it on my X-Trail easily and get it working...

- Paul in Nanaimo, BC

1 - 20 of 44 Posts