Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car is a 94 gxe with 140K on it. Evidently it "just stopped running" to quote my daughter.
Battery is good, I changed the plugs and wires, the plugs that were in it had to be original. Distributor cap had no oil under it, I hosed it with cleaner anyway, all of the little windows seemed clean. I get spark from the coil but nothing out to to the plugs. fuel pressure is good. The OBD is giving a knock sensor code, could the knock sensor prevent the distributor from sending spark to the plugs?
for the car to die that suddenly it almost has to be electrical. I have checked the circuit breaker for the EFI and the fuses, nothing is burnt. I hate electrical problems.
If this dosen't get resolved there will be a 94 GXE in pretty good shape up for sale as a parts car in Austin Texas.

·
Registered
75 Posts
May be it is alternator or the belt broke. But from what I see wires and cap can be bad.
What symptoms did it have before it died and what happens when you try to start it?
You,probably,don't want to spend money for dealership,but they will tell you for sure.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Agoudine said:
May be it is alternator or the belt broke. But from what I see wires and cap can be bad.
What symptoms did it have before it died and what happens when you try to start it?
You,probably,don't want to spend money for dealership,but they will tell you for sure.[/QUOTE

Can you restart the car again?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
daughters dead altima

LONDONDERRY said:
Agoudine said:
You,probably,don't want to spend money for dealership,but they will tell you for sure.[/QUOTE

Can you restart the car again?
Thanks for the interest, the belts are fine tha alternator is fairly new. It gets spark from the coil but it gets lost somewhere in the distributor and never finds the plugs. Does any one know any electrical checks that can be made on the distributor leads to determine if it is definatively kaput?

·
Registered
828 Posts
mark W said:
LONDONDERRY said:
Thanks for the interest, the belts are fine tha alternator is fairly new. It gets spark from the coil but it gets lost somewhere in the distributor and never finds the plugs. Does any one know any electrical checks that can be made on the distributor leads to determine if it is definatively kaput?
One of the first things you might want to do is check to see if there are any codes from the OBD. Go to Autozone, if the car is still drivable and have them check the OBD for any stored codes.

If the problem is with the distributor, as the OBD will tell you, take the housing off and see if there is any oil inside where the encoder wheel is at. If there is then spray it down heavly with electrical contact clean, see if that works. Additionally, replace the o-ring gasket, if oil is getting past it. If all this does not work, then you might have to replace the distributor with a new one. There is no after market one, so you will have to shop around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts