Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been driving my nissan sentra for about 4 years now and i've been getting static shocked everytime i get out my car. i even get shocked when only touching the outside glass window, trying not to touch the outside door panel when closing the door. anyone having the same problems and is there a solution????

·
Registered
170 Posts
Any time it's really dry out I shock the hell out of myself getting out of my car. It's especially bad in the winter. I've had this problem with pretty much any car that has cloth seats.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
me too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've installed a ground strap on my rear bumper and it was useless. i spoke to a few friends and the only way to ground the car is to attach a metal chair to the chassis of the car body.

·
Niss-Nut
160 Posts
I have the same problem when I visit NYC in winter . It happens mainly to me in cars that have an alarm system or cars that have that electronic thing thats supposed to prevent rust .

·
Registered
42 Posts
LOL... i used to get this everytime.

Best way to avoid this is before you stand up and get out -- hold the door where there is metal (i.e. top, or side), then get out and shut the door. It's kinda like grounding yourself to the car's chasis, I suppose.

Peace.

Sr20Power

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Alot of the static discharge has to do with the tires you are running and the amount of silica in them(IIRC). There once was a story published about how the Michelin MXV4 on Honda Accord EX's was giving tool booth operators one hell of a shock. It turned out to be a lil inflated. The reason is that silica takes longer to disipate its charge after the vehicle has stopped, tires with a high amount of corbon disapate the charge quiker. About 1 second vs. about six for high silica content tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts