Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i just bought a 86.5 HB and it cranks good but will not start. i have tested for spark after the coils and have nothing. but i have soild 11.6v at the plug to the coil but nothing out of the coils.

i am stuck thinking that it is the ICM (ignition control module) because how wierd would it be that both coils go out at the same time. and that is the next thing that is in line with the coils.

and also does anyone know were the ICM is located?? i have read that it is right behind the driver headlight, but that is were the coils and air pump are all at?!?!? is it hidden some were in there??

thanks for any help that you guys can give me on this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's in the distributor, and it's not servicable. You have to replace the whole unit. Before you start replacing parts, check and clean all your grounds, and connections. & make sure the computer under the seat is grounded good. If you just bought it, and it's been sitting, corrosion could have started building up.
Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guuy i bought it from just replaced the dizzy about 4-5 months before the truck quit running. he also replaced the ECU under the seat so i will be sure to check the grounds there as well as other engine grounds. are there any manuls that can direct me to other grounds that might be hidden??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check the main relay on the inside pass fender...

is this the only relay there?? how do i test it once i find it?? any pics??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i found it, kind of obvious once you get there! lol but i pullled it out and tested the resistance of the coil side of the relay and got 74.5 ohms. so it looks like it is good. next???

also looking at the wiring diagram on the trim levels what is the mpg model and how do i know if i have that maodel or not??

thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anybody on this???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
taking the dizzy and coils to work tomorrow to test them. well see, hope this solves the problem!

·
Registered
72 Posts
try this

I've got an 89 d21 and it seems I remember reading about a light emitting diode in the distributor that shines thru a series of slots to provide the timing and spark. They get dirty and cause problems. Might try looking for that as a problem. Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah you are right. i got it to work and took it apart and it is a hall effect sensor that fires the coils, not a pick-up coil like other dizzys. im going to hook it up to a scope on friday and figure out if it is good or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i had the same problem with one of my previous cars (a dodge shadow) the car would just die out of nowhere driving on the highway or city or it jsut woulnt start and the problem was the hall effect sensor under the distributer. The car would crank over perfect however it wouldnt let power to the spark plugs so there was no spark

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you have power to the coils but not out of the coils?? that is the problem that i am having now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah the coil had power. maybe try a reset on the computer. its been so long since ive had that problem. if i remember correctly i pretty much changed everything on the ignition system to chase the problem down.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a reset on the computer??? how do i do that?? i hasnt had a battery for almost a year. is that a good enuf reset or is there another way?

·
Hardbody Freak
2,675 Posts
if i may.. u r getting power b4 the coils but not after.

i think the icm u are referring to is mounted on the coils themselves..

so test the coils and there counter parts ..u r calling the icm

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i saw those down line of the coils and thought that they might be the ICMs for the coils, but was not sure. how would i go about testing them? put them on a scope and see if they pulse??

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i will do that tomorrow.

if i have power in and out probably a dizzy issue???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
either the dizzy or ecm ..

ecm has been replaced already. anyone know were to get a dizzy for one of these things?? parts store wants like $260 for one!:eek::eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts