Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver side middle right cylinder only pushed out 130 pressure, new to Nissans, wondering where I should start tearing apart the motor and looking at. Thinking its a bearing but I really dont know, any feed back is appreciated.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,219 Posts
Always state the year, model, engine type, transmission type in order for us to properly help you. We don't have super powers with X-ray vision. We may be thousands of miles from you; sitting in front of a computer screen.

I'll assume you have a some year 370Z with a VQ37VHR engine. The compression specs should be somewhere in the range of:

Standard 242 - 341 psi
Minimum 178 psi
Differential limit between cylinders 14 psi

Most likely there's a blown head gasket causing that cylinder to be low. If you had a wiped out rod bearing, there would be a loud metallic knocking sound. What are the compression readings for all the cylinders? If an adjacent cylinder also shows an out-of-spec reading, then there's most likely a breach in the head gasket. Perform a leak-down test on the bad cylinder to determine for sure where the problem source is.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,389 Posts
Cylinder wall washdown can also cause low compression, i.e. if a coil pack failed and the fuel washed down the walls because it wasn't being ignited. Wet and dry cylinder tests sounds like the way to go unless, like rogo says, you have a lot of banging going on due to a bad bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts