Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently bought a 91 maxima with 150000 miles, one of the cylinders has sounded as if it was missing since i bought it. I have tried everything to get it to fire (new plugs, used fuel injector cleaner, adjusted the timing) and it seems to fire once in a while.. it tends to not fire more often then fire. The strange thing is that it seems to have a lot of power for missing a cylinder.

Could any of you help me pinpoint this problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
injector is bad. adding cleaner will only hasten the demise of all of your injectors.
This is a curious statement. Can you (or someone) explain, please? I always thought "Injector Cleaner = Good" and "Dirty Injector = Bad". What do injector cleaners do to "hasten the demise" of my injectors? I use injector cleaner once a month.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply... but how do you know what dot color the injector is? do you have to take it apart first, or is there a way to tell without taking it apart?

·
I've had more cars than U
686 Posts
This is a curious statement. Can you (or someone) explain, please? I always thought "Injector Cleaner = Good" and "Dirty Injector = Bad". What do injector cleaners do to "hasten the demise" of my injectors? I use injector cleaner once a month.
the design of the injectors is such that nissan issued a TSB stating not to use fuel injector cleaner because it damages the injectors internals

·
I've had more cars than U
686 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply... but how do you know what dot color the injector is? do you have to take it apart first, or is there a way to tell without taking it apart?
you need to be able to see the top of the injector's electrical connector

·
Registered
126 Posts
Since you're replacing them anyway consider some high flow injectors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since you're replacing them anyway consider some high flow injectors.
Well, I don't know if I am going to replace them or not. That's certainly an option, but if/when I do, why would I want to replace them with "high flow" injectors? I don't want a race car, just a reliable vehicle to get me to/from work and school. Not necessarily in that order :) This 1990 has been a great car and I just want to keep it that way and sometimes it needs a little TLC.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts