Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2016 Altima 2.5S with a CVT problem. A shop replaced the valvebody (used) for me and the car runs fine now except there is a P17F0 code that cannot be erased. I did some research according to this NTB12-103g service bulletin:

...it needs to have the a "CVT / TCM CALIBRATION DATA “WRITE” PROCEDURE"
In that, it is asking for a CD that contains a calibration file (with match number) in order for the dealer to do the procedure.
It is a used valvebody, there is no CD that came with it.
How do I get rid of the code P17F0?
People should never replace the valvebody with a used one if there is no CD that comes with it?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,010 Posts
2016 Altima 2.5S with a CVT problem. A shop replaced the valvebody (used) for me and the car runs fine now except there is a P17F0 code that cannot be erased. I did some research according to this NTB12-103g service bulletin:

...it needs to have the a "CVT / TCM CALIBRATION DATA “WRITE” PROCEDURE"
In that, it is asking for a CD that contains a calibration file (with match number) in order for the dealer to do the procedure.
It is a used valvebody, there is no CD that came with it.
How do I get rid of the code P17F0?
People should never replace the valvebody with a used one if there is no CD that comes with it?

View attachment 6677
Read the last section of the TSB where it says: OBTAINING A CALIBRATION FILE WHEN CD IS UNAVAILABLE.

You can make a trip to your favorite Nissan dealer for that service. The dealer has the equipment needed to download a data file to their laptop, then it's transferred to the Consult-II to do the calibration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those service advisers are all suckers. One I asked asked his tech and came back and said no. I guess I will have to remove the pan to read the number before going thru to talk to them face to face with the paper.

·
7,010 Posts
Drop the pan yourself and get the calibration file number from the valve body; also get a calibration file number from the CVT case itself; along with the VIN for your vehicle. If you get no satisfaction with a service advisor, go up the pecking order of management or go to another Nissan dealer or call Nissan Customer relations 1 (800) 647-7261.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not that easy.
I took down the valvebody and looked thru the whole body and found only these 2 numbers (which one to use?):

And the NTB is asking for a 7 digit (or letter) code like XZ90206 so neither of them would work.
I am sure the dealer will refuse the service because the valvebody is not new and I could not provide the CD.

Then, I called this company (selling used valvebodies for nissan) and asked if theirs would come with CD, they said no:
Then, they have instructions in the description:

Does it mean I can use my autel scanner (maxisys elite) to do a read, clear and write IP properties? This is totally different method than using the NERS or consult.

Then, this company (Berkeley Standard) has an article here:
" if you have a Judder Code, the TCM needs to be reprogrammed with updated software."

Only the valvebody was replaced on my car and that made the car driveable. TCM and the CVT did not get changed. It is so hard to find some instructions specifically for my situation. Part number, programming, calibration file... all these are very confusing.

·
7,010 Posts
If you have a cell phone, try scanning the QR code on the valve body or the QR code on the transmission range switch.

It seems, according to the Nissan TSB, that if the valve body was replaced, perform CLUTCH POINT LEARNING under “Transmission Work Support” in the Consult-III plus has to be done.

Here's an interesting video clip:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TCM part number is 31036-3TE0D:

It seems like, according to Berkeley standard link, I should try upgrading the programming for it first.
I have a Autel J2534 box. Need to look for NERS (from mmh auto) and read up A LOT.

Damn, this automotive programming stuff is so confusing.

·
7,010 Posts
From reading about the NERS software, it look like it should be able to perform the “Clear calibration data" followed by the "Write IP properties" and maybe perform the "CLUTCH POINT LEARNING" if need be. It looks like the company "Berkeley Standard" can supply the proper QR code.

Let us know how you make out. It's a very interesting situation that a lot of members might be interested it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Performing the “Clear calibration data" followed by the "Write IP properties" gave me an error on my autel. I sure don't want to make the car not driveable.

TCM, valvebody, and the CVT itself each has its own coding? Or they call it calibration but I prefer to call it firmware as I have IT background but these things are still very confusing. What does IP stand for in "Write IP properties" anyways?

I see TCM firmware can be upgraded using NERS and it does look like mine is 3TE0D and there is a 3TH0D:

The valvebody is also from a 2016 Altima but maybe it has coding that the older TCM firmware cannot handle, thus throw a code?
I live in San Francisco Bay Area. There seems to be NO third-party nissan programmer who can do the reprogramming (firmware upgrade on TCM). I hate hate hate to deal with the stealers.
I plan to get the right J2534 device (drew cardaq) and get the NERS and buy the 3TH0D and try upgrading it myself.... before I do the "Clear calibration data" followed by the "Write IP properties" and maybe perform the "CLUTCH POINT LEARNING".

I will come back and update.

·
7,010 Posts
In answer to your question: "What does IP stand for in "Write IP properties" anyways?" IP stands for "instrument panel", not anything to do with an IP network address.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See. What does the transmission have to do with the instrument panel...
They are forced to let third party access their proprietary software setup (the whole J2534 thing) and they have made it so confusing. No advantage to make it simple as they want us all to go to stealer and be ripped off.

·
7,010 Posts
See. What does the transmission have to do with the instrument panel...
They are forced to let third party access their proprietary software setup (the whole J2534 thing) and they have made it so confusing. No advantage to make it simple as they want us all to go to stealer and be ripped off.
The Instrument Panel their talking about should be the one on the Autel J2534 box display. These dealerships send their tech mechanics to Nissan tech schools to learn all this stuff. Us "outsiders" have to learn this stuff on our own. You're on the right track; looks like you're close to a solution. So please keep us posted of your progress. Hopefully your effort will help others here on the forum. I for one in the near future may have to do the same thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts