Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my CV joint boot with a new one (but not installed in the car yet), however, in my haste I didn't mark the relation between the CV joint and the driveshaft, per the FSM. Does this matter? My other question is that the instructions that came with the boot kit says to use a "crimping tool" to tighten and secure the boot clamp. Is this critical? It seems to be on there pretty good just by hand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As far as the rotation of the cv joint, I don't know what damage if and would happen by having it backwards. (your talking about the knuckle that holds all the bearings right?)
I've got two different crimping toolls and I would recommend useing them.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I think what they meant was where the CV boot is supposed to be clamped down on the shaft. If the boot is pulled out a little and is clamped down further away from the joint, then the boot will be even more stretched when the car is turning, which will result in premature boot wear/failure. I'd slide it as far to the joint as you can get it then clamp it down, then when you're turning, there will be less stretching of the boot going on.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well, it's in. No problems *fingers crossed*.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts