Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does a custom exhaust really work? You go to a performance store and they just weld you some pipes and you buy a muffler (ebay) and they install it for you? Do they make the pipes just to the cat conv.? Or do they do the whole thing? I think 500-600 for something that gives you about 5 hp, is not really worth it. I was thinkg of going stomung, but I dont know the price of that, so I cant even think about it. How much would the pipes cost? And I was thinking about going to turbo later on, could I just get 3" pipes now, or would that decrease (flow) performance? I dont really care about performance too much, because Im not going to bother with i/h/etc because it wouldnt get me anywhere on my (Automatic) GA. I just want a nice looking and deep sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Too big

3" is overkill by far. especially for our wimpy GA. 2" is almost too much, but it works. and if you plan on going turbo, even with our GA (if Hotshot produces!), you wouldn't want but 2 1/2" on your car. You would lose TONS of low end performance. And as for the piping goes, find a place that does mandrel bends (Crush bends suck!). If you can't find a place, there are tons of places on the internet that will ship to you. Can't think of any right now, but I bet a few people could name a few (Not cheap, but not too much) So, get the pipe, they would cut it, weld it, weld a muffler, and badamn, you got yoself an exhaust my brotha! You could make a custom exhaust for prolly 200-300 dollars easy, depending on the muffler you buy. And try to find a "Straight-through" muffler, as for bends would decrease flow. Hope this helps.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Muffler would only be what you see from the back right? Like the tip where the gases come out? Cause those can be had from ebay for like 70 bucks.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Mike (Young) I would really like to hear your opinion on this matter. How much is the stromung, and is it really that much superior over a custom exhaust? And would I feel any better performance (acceleration wise) with an exhaust on my little auto ga:(

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Even though my name is not Mike Young, ill give you an answer. The Stromung wouldnt be superior to a properly designed and built custom exhaust in terms of HP. Other areas like durability and noise control are another thing all together. As long as you keep velocity high and backpressure low, a custom setup will give you just as much HP as a premade system. As for price, I have seen members here talk about $441.00 for the Stromung setup.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not that bad, if a custom setup is like 300 bucks, I wouldnt mind paying for a better quality product for 100 bucks more. If anything breaks I could return it, if my breaks, well, reach into my pocket again. And I feel better telling someone "Stromung" rather than custom.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i got a 2" custom catback for $60

the only downside is that it is crushbent

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry but, I dont really know the difference between crushbent and mandrel?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
mandrel bend is more bend to the design im guessing and crush is jes crushin the pipe 2 bend .

i have a 2 .25 Crush bend pipe and DragunFire muffler. i like the stromung but cant afford it. but then again why bother since im tryin 2 do a sr20det s14 motor swap.

i spend about 130 for the pipe and my muffler was most expensive since i got ripped . it was like 270 for my muffler
(canister style)

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Mandrel bent mean there are no pipe diameter at the bends. The pipe is the same size for the whole system. Crush bent reduces the pipe size up to 50% depending on the angle of the bend. The greater the angle, the more reduced the pipe will be.

LIUSPEED,
You do relize that an S14 motor is RWD configuration, right. You would be better off with a Bluebird motor, its FWD and still turbo.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stromung exhaust

$319 rear Muffler only, $519 complete system
add $45 for resonator

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
A replica of my exhaust:

$60 Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Muffler 540cfm(www.summitracing.com)
$33 2 - U (180 degree)- Wide radius 2" Mandrel Bends (www.jegs.com)
$16 24" Thrush Glasspack as resonator (www.summitracing.com)
------
$109 + Shipping ($30) + Labor ($100) @ muffler shop

$239! for a complete cat-back - price for tips will vary... I have a dual 2" resonated DTM tip from Dynomax (Retails $80) but the car sounds good without one... looks like a sleeper without one :p

If you'd like to hear my exhaust w/ 22" glasspack, ultraflow welded muffler, resonated tip, and a highflow Random technology cat go to my website (http://1minute.com/dan/).

Good luck,

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts