Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a semi-used Arospeed BOMB muffler that IM going to have put on with 2 in piping from the headers bac-(keeping my cat) all for $150---NOT BAD right...

My question is Ive always read about mandrel bend pipes--How important is this? And is this the general way the custom work is done by muffler shops??

WHAT should I look out for.....ITS being done FRI. or SAT. so let me know sumting....

·
Driver
736 Posts
Most shops do crimp bends(reduces pipe diameter where the bend is made). While this isn't like mandrel(same diameter even in the bend), some people say it's okay since our cars don't make that much power anyways. I got the stromung because it was mandrel, so I don't know how a crimp bent exhaust feels. I've heard you still feel power gains, so it doesn't sound bad, especially for the price. As for what to get, get stainless steel piping if possible, and a resonator to prevent buzziness in the exhaust tone.

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
well my exhaust is pressure bent, it is a smooth bent but a little smaller in diameter
works fine
sounds like a good deal, but remember to put on a glass pack 2" longer than 18" to make your car sound deeper, and to make it a bit quieter(especially if you are planning on gettin a header)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an auto(IKNOW)....so I shouldnt be too concerned with the sound being to loud or hondaish--RIGHT

And muffler shops do glass packs and resonators right????

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
MP2050 said:
I got an auto(IKNOW)....so I shouldnt be too concerned with the sound being to loud or hondaish--RIGHT

And muffler shops do glass packs and resonators right????
no either way you should get the glasspack, auto or manual, but try to buy your own glasspack, not the muffler shop ones. they sometimes carry the louvered core ones and even the perforated core ones have these thing jutting into the pipe... the glasspack is all that makes the difference, even hondas would sound better if they had one in their system (I think).

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
MP2050 said:
lol are u sure even Hondas....

So where can I get the glass pack from-and I dont mean online????
auto zone, peb boys or any local car store
when u open up one see if it is streight through....
thrust makes good ones
also make sure u get one in 2" and as long as possible for the best sound

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
XtremE said:

auto zone, peb boys or any local car store
when u open up one see if it is streight through....
thrust makes good ones
also make sure u get one in 2" and as long as possible for the best sound
a larger diameter will give you a deeper sound... since the rest of the pipe is still 2" i don't see any loss in power... could be a little but not that i can 'feel':D

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I got my new exhaust put on and replaced my pipe from the cat-bac--I couldnt afford from the headers--

AND I luv it--the new Arospeed exhaust has a wider tip that looks much more aggressive. The sound is great its low and hard--not Hondaish at all.

Right when I start the car I can feel it. And maybe its just me but I feel like the car is running harder-taking off better. Next $check$ will be for the pipes from the header--then hopefully a CAI-Injen or HOtshot

I def, reccomend this to every1--Its not mandrel bend or stainless steel but It all cost me $120 to put on and I really dont think Im losing much

·
Driver
736 Posts
Glad you like your exhaust. That price you got is really good, when I was thinking of getting a custom exhaust, the shop wanted $80 just to assemble it, and that's if I supplied the pipes.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YEAH it was like $50 for the exhaust exchange and $75 for the cat-bac pipe--nice hook up

from the headers is another $75-100

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
MP2050 said:
YEAH it was like $50 for the exhaust exchange and $75 for the cat-bac pipe--nice hook up

from the headers is another $75-100
you are better off with savin the next 2 pay checks and gettin a header than puttin money into that header-catpipe, i heard it barle makes a difference, or the difference cant be felt
go for the bang for the buck
focuz header:)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah maybe u right....I was considering Headers but that whole craze about OBX vs Focuz vs Hotshot vs etc.--just drove me crazy...

I think Im gonna wait untill NPM does a review and see what would be the best affordable buy

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
MP2050 said:
yeah maybe u right....I was considering Headers but that whole craze about OBX vs Focuz vs Hotshot vs etc.--just drove me crazy...

I think Im gonna wait untill NPM does a review and see what would be the best affordable buy
it is easy
if u have 200$ and dont wanna spend anymore get the focuz and a CAI, this will give u the better bang for the buck
if u have 400$ get the hot shot header

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol ^^^u make it sound so e-z Xtreme....BUT u do make a good point

I think IM gonna just do the pipe from the header first and c how it feels-cuz regardless if I get the Headers Ill have 2 replace this pipe anyway

ANyidea where to get the Focuz?????

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
MP2050 said:
lol ^^^u make it sound so e-z Xtreme....BUT u do make a good point

I think IM gonna just do the pipe from the header first and c how it feels-cuz regardless if I get the Headers Ill have 2 replace this pipe anyway

ANyidea where to get the Focuz?????
actually when i did everythin i was a dealy man and wanted the most bang for the buck
like i got a new ps header for 50$ for a fellow memeber who never used it, got a new cai for 170$ shipped and custom exhaust for 150$+ free SS muffler(gotta love christmas)
if u look back throught the post about focuz or obx header dundee i believe posted that he went out and got a new pipe between the header and cat and didnt notice a difference
i say first get the header and cai and than get the dowpipe for a horsepower or two
just my .02$
if u r a student, spend your money wisely cause it doesnt come easy
also you have a 98 so u will need a different egr tube which goes for around 35$ which will be from a fed car, 96 or somehtin like that
one person ordered the header and the egr tube for his 99 sentra
he will update us as soon as he puts it on

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hmmmmm--u def. making me think about this a little harder. Im gonna have to start doing a little research and c wut kinda $ IM looking at spending..

thanks Xtreme--Ill keep u posted

But uknow wut to be honest IM in the processs of trying to get my exterior looking right. IM stressing whether I should get the rest of my kit or keep it simple with a wing and re-do my audio....

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
MP2050 said:
hmmmmm--u def. making me think about this a little harder. Im gonna have to start doing a little research and c wut kinda $ IM looking at spending..

thanks Xtreme--Ill keep u posted

But uknow wut to be honest IM in the processs of trying to get my exterior looking right. IM stressing whether I should get the rest of my kit or keep it simple with a wing and re-do my audio....
well i say first make the car perform for its looks
dont make it all show and no go
cause if u make it go and show, u will love how it looks and you will have fun driving it
yep and dont make any quick decisions, reaseach and rethink stuff over and over unless u can get a bad ass deal than jump on it

1 - 20 of 50 Posts