Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I salvaged a 91 Z32 N/A from a friend from work for 250 bucks. Don't believe me? i'll post pictures. 140K, body in good condition, someone tried to steal his sound system (the old fashioned way) so the passenger side window is busted, the clutch goes to the floor, it won't turn over or start, just a click, and it hasn't been driven in about a year. but anyway, he snapped the timing belt and possibly bent all the valves. My thing is that i'm willing to salvage the motor but i want to make sure that he didn't blow any pistons along with any cracked heads or bent valves. I checked the oil on it and it seemed to be at the right level, (although the model has a funny dipstick) so what should i do to check for major engine damage? What should i look for before i bring it in for a rebuild or swap? Which do you think is cheaper?

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
Easiest thing is to put on a new timing belt and run a compression test. If any of the cylinders are down on compression, there are internal issues and you can decide if you want to go through the rebuild process. If you decide to scrap it, you're only out the cost of a timing belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!!!

I've gotten a JDM engine for my baby. I didn't bother to get the old motor repaired, because the repair shops would charge a grip ($1650 to revalve the engine). So i decided that if i spend that kind of money, then, i'll just buy a low mileage JDM engine instead of repairing the old one. The engine ran me about 1000 bucks (I got it shipped from Canada), and it's gonna cost me about 600 bucks to drop it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts