Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying some cross drilled rotors, and preformance brake pads.. can i use the stock calipers? or do they need to be replaced too.. because my stock brakes are now "to the squeeling" point. which is where the pads are so low, that it makes a constant noise..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Niss200SXGTR said:
I am going to be buying some cross drilled rotors, and preformance brake pads.. can i use the stock calipers? or do they need to be replaced too.. because my stock brakes are now "to the squeeling" point. which is where the pads are so low, that it makes a constant noise..
I'd recommend against cross drilled rotors unless you are just buying them for the look. Stock sized cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking. Slotted rotors would be better, but I think good quality stock rotors work well with a good pad. I like the Axxis Metal Masters, they also have a more aggressive pad called the Metal Master Ultimates which are Euro spec Metal Masters basically.

I'm not sure if you have a SE-R or not so I'm not sure if the Ultimates are available or not for you. You can get them for the SE-R but I'm not sure about the non-SE-R cars.

The other option would be to buy some NX2000 rotors and loaded calipers (you need the ones that come with the mounting plate). I think this would be a better upgrade if you don't have them already.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I agree with Booster. The drilled rotors tend to crack more since they've been weakened with the drilling of the holes. If you drive slow you don't have to worry about it, but why'd you get better brakes if you're going to drive slow in the first place.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Cross drilled rotors are an old school relic. Apparently, old brake pads use to produce lots of gas; this would cause the pads to float on the rotors instead of grabbing them which lead to no braking. So they put in the holes so the gases could escape. That's not a concern anymore really today. By drilling holes in the rotors, you introduce high stress points which leads to them cracking. Good x-drilled rotors will have chamfers which will help relieve the stress but they will eventually still crack. Even the factory Porshce x-drilled rotors crack all the time; makes me wonder why they still use them. Basically, go look at any real race car (F1, CART, IRL, Touring cars, WRC rally cars, NASCAR even) and they all use either solid or slotted rotors. That's what I've heard anywayz...

Khiem

·
Registered
323 Posts
i think i saw someone post about how they choose to use slotted rotors, well yea technically slotted rotors are great, for racing, they resurface your pads every time the pads pass by the slots to prevent glazing in high temp situations like racing where you replace the pads every race anyway, if your a street driver, stay away, and i'm not an expect on cross drilled but as I understand it, it helps to dispurse heat better, the cooler you keep your brakes the better the grip so to speak between your pads and rotors reducing stopping times, so it sounds like a good idea to me

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
brakes....

also check out project 1.6 on sport compact car for their 200, they did an upgrade using ye olde nissan factory parts, and some very nice steel-braided brake lines and motul brake fluid, check it out..... it's going to provide a very good insight.........

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts